User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hoosier Adventure 67 Covered Bridges

Well we ventured into Hoosier country and found some wonderful riding. The ride took us 7 days but it can be done in less. It is a 1570 mile loop all through southern Indiana taking in 67 covered bridges, 5 old grist mills, 4 fire tower climbs, a rotary jail, Bobs Classic Bikes, some old iron wood deck bridges, camping, and a lot of back-road exploring. We like to think of it as exploring America from the inside.

Here is a video to get the flavor!

https://vimeo.com/67326847

Routes here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post21628746

kimzx1000r screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 11:41 AM
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
PeterJenks
Aussies Rule!

Oddometer: 61
Adventure Trail: GPX

Looks like a great adventure, would love to explore more of Southern Indiana. Don't suppose you've GPX tracks you'd be willing to share?

peterjenkins64@yahoo.com

Cheers
Peter
PeterJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJenks View Post
Looks like a great adventure, would love to explore more of Southern Indiana. Don't suppose you've GPX tracks you'd be willing to share?

peterjenkins64@yahoo.com

Cheers
Peter
Yes mate I have tracks, and or routes. Working on cleaning them up and I will be posting them sometime soon. Happy to email them when they are done.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Fullcyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Wow! what a great ride...
67 bridges+ in 7 days is awesome & some great looking roads too... My Ol' lady & I love bridge hopping and may have hit a total of about 25 last year. We're going to have to step up the pace. We've been to several of the bridges on your route and I seen many more that are on my bucket list, but I also seen several that I didn't recognize. I wouldn't mind going over your route myself please.

Will you be posting more photos and details of your trip here? If so, I'm definitely "IN".
Thanks for sharing, & Have a great day, Jeff...
Fullcyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes boys more coming! Getting caught up, stay tuned!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

We started our adventure from the Willow Slough Wildlife refuge. 5 of us gathered there for the start. The first night was rough. We got poured on for the last 80 miles into camp. Fortunately the rain broke just long enough for our tents to get put up. Just as we finished mother nature opened the gates and a pounding rain began again. The best part of the Willow Slough is there is a bar right across the street that made a decent toaster pizza and had a solid roof to keep the rain off us! The rain eventually let up enough we could go to bed. Then the worst breach of campground etiquette ever took place. There were some good ole boys pounding away at a cooler full of beer, while late into the night one of them was way out of control. At the top of his longs and constantly repeating himself he kept yelling out "frank,,,,,, I ain't doin no broke back mountain shit with you f**kers in there!" I drifted in and out of sleep while his antics went on and on. Somewhere around three in the morning a skit right out of a Jeff Foxworthy act came about. This drunk fool started hitting the onstar button in his truck. The female recording voice would say "your onstar account has not been activated please press the blue button or contact onstar to activate your account." The whole time he would be saying "I need help, You need to come get me, I need help", then he would rattle off what he thought was a phone number so they could call. The only problem was that he was only rattling off three of 4 numbers. We all did not get much sleep and had to pack up wet in the morning so this all made for a rough start to a week long trip. Funny thing was one of the guys with us was named Frank, so while half asleep I kept wondering why Frank wanted to do some broke back mountain stuff with this drunk! The whole trip poor Frank heard allot of that at camp...... Frank......... I ain't doin no Broke Back Mountain sh*t!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

The beginning of the route had us cross some farm country. While most would find this boring, I grew up in the heart of farming and love seeing the tractors in the fields in the spring. It is somewhat sad to me to travel through farm land and see all the small family farms that are abandoned and falling down. It used to be such a nice way of life for so many. Today it is moving to large scale industrial farming and the small family farm and life are almost a thing of the past.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

Eventually we started to get into some of the best bridge country around. Parke county Indiana. The first bridges we came to were in Fountain county. It is also where the scenery started changing. Part of traveling on the inside of America is seeing things that urban progress typically destroys. Bridges from the mid to late 1800s don't survive under heavy traffic loads. When I encounter things from late 1800s to early 1900s I reflect back on all the stories my grandparents had told me about life and growing up then. I look at these structures and reflect on all that. I can picture what travel had been like back then. Slow............dirty.................lots of flat tires................ stopping to feed your ride or water your ride.............and very remote and scenic.

kimzx1000r screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 01:22 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
JMATT690
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thank-you. Great pcs. I live close to several, and have paddled under many of those bridges. I need to see more of them from the top side.
JMATT690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

a few bridges:

[IMG][/IMG]

the riding to and over some of these is nice, note the roads.

[IMG][/IMG]

the boys look space age against the backdrop.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

Some days we stop for lunch, some days we just snack at a gas stop. This day was one we stopped and had lunch. We ate at Main St. Cafe.

[IMG][/IMG]

That is it up on the corner. We met the most wonderful lady. She came over to talk to us and told us about how the cafe was going to close and she went to the bank and talked to her banker and he said she could afford to buy it and run it. So that is exactly what she did. She was wonderful to talk to. She told us she had lived there for 77 years. One of the guys asked her how old she was and she replied 47. She was real people! Down to earth and full of life! We loved her. So if you see this place and drive by. Stop, have a sandwich and waste a few minutes meeting some really nice people.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Three of the guys with us were on 250's and they were running low on gas. We opted off the route into a town to get gas. Unfortunately the station was closed. As we sat there pondering where to go and if we could make it one of these fine gentleman pulled up and asked if we were out of gas. We asked if there was anywhere near to go and he said yes his house. He offered to give us what he had. We took him up on the offer and followed him home. After putting gas in the three 250's we thanked him profusely for him stopping and assisting us. I have always loved how open and friendly people are once you get away from the urban culture.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
kimzx1000r OP
Studly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
Spencerville?

Cool idea, guys. Are you getting up to Spencerville? I lived there as a kid and we constantly played on and around the covered bridge.

The bridge was damaged recently when an 18-wheeler drove across it, instead of using the newer bridge just to the side. I really need to get back there and check it out.

j.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
Fullcyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I like your additude toward the country side, the people in it, and the old farm life. It truely is a shame it's all disapearing so fast.
<-Enjoying very much, Thank you!...
Fullcyc is offline   Reply With Quote