ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
Oatmeal's Tiger gets boned well... (warning: a little gore in the pics)

So I'm cruising right down the road when all of a sudden there's a car in my way. I hit the front of it and did some cartwheels. I felt my head, elbow, and back bounce, and I hit hard on my knees. When I stopped rolling I was flat on my back. I knew my knees were hurt and my left foot felt like it had been bent back so the toes were touching the heel. I sat up and looked around. Cars everywhere, people running around. I took off my helmet. A few people came up and asked if I was O.K.

A woman is yelling about how I totaled her car. Comes over to where I'm laying and says, "Well I'm glad you are alive, but you tried to kill us! You totaled my car, and my kid is in there! You could have killed my kid!"

That went on for a while, I asked her to leave me alone, she wanted to tell me how I'd endangered her and her family.

Eventually, I got to take a ride to the ER. Got some X-rays and a few stitches. I still can't believe it, but there are no broken bones.

I was travelling straight down the street when a car travelling the opposite direction turned left into me. Now the pics...










http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psa1eee7e8.jpg

So I'm laying in the hospital wondering how I was so stupid. I think I'm a better rider than that, I don't know how I didn't see a potential accident coming. I'm still struggling with that, but when I was laying there looking at the pics I noticed that the forks weren't impacted. They still look straight ahead. The left front corner of the car looks like it took the brunt of the hit. Apparently they turned into my side, impacting my leg and foot. I can't believe I didn't break anything. I feel so lucky, crazy as that sounds. I'm gonna be laid up at home for a minute, sore as hell, but I got to go home after all that.
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN

pilot screwed with this post 06-18-2014 at 02:23 PM
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
I was wearing a full-face HJC helmet, leather jacket with armored elbows and shoulder (but no back protector), aerostich roper gloves, Draggin Jeans with kevlar knees and butt, and Gaerne trials boots. Got a good scuff on the elbow of the jacket and the jeans are torn a little at the knees. I know I rang my bell but there is no marking on the helmet that stands out from the nicks and scratches already there.

I think the knee protection in my roadcrafter would have helped with the impact wounds, and full motocross boots would have helped with the foot, but so far the foreleg is the most painful injury and I think I would have had to stay home to avoid that.
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Antiquar
Adventurer
 
Antiquar's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 68
The gall of that woman is incredible! I can't imagine her lecturing you while you're still dazed on the ground after an accident, never mind the fact that she was at fault.

Glad you escaped serious injury. What kind of gear were you wearing and how did it fare?

EDIT: Just saw your post about gear, seems it held up pretty well.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong
 
nickgindy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Oddometer: 2,228
Wonder if she even had a license?
__________________

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 6,092
She turns left in front of you and has the balls to bitch while you're laying crushed and bleeding? Sounds like she might have just added to her "pain and suffering" compensatory payment...

Dang. Hope all is well.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
She turns left in front of you and has the balls to bitch while you're laying crushed and bleeding? Sounds like she might have just added to her "pain and suffering" compensatory payment...

Dang. Hope all is well.

--Bill
+1

Glad you are ok.

Out of curiosity, (I know it isn't a cure-all) what color was your helmet and jacket? Any white or hi-viz? I ask, not in an effort to critique your choices, but in an effort to constantly make me evaluate my own gear.

After thinking about it, were you the guy in the black Roadcrafter at the Riders for Striders ride? I was on the other Triumph Tiger.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 XC (Current commuter / sport tourer), 1972 CB450 (FOR SALE HERE)
2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO (SOLD), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!

IndyChizzle screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 04:17 AM
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #7
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 677
I just noticed the Indiana plates! What city was this in? Was it Indy 500 traffic?
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 XC (Current commuter / sport tourer), 1972 CB450 (FOR SALE HERE)
2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO (SOLD), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
+1

Glad you are ok.

Out of curiosity, (I know it isn't a cure-all) what color was your helmet and jacket? Any white or hi-viz? I ask, not in an effort to critique your choices, but in an effort to constantly make me evaluate my own gear.

After thinking about it, were you the guy in the black Roadcrafter at the Riders for Striders ride? I was on the other Triumph Tiger.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Yes, that's me. White helmet, black jacket. My hi viz Darien was in the closet. Maybe that would have made the difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I just noticed the Indiana plates! What city was this in? Was it Indy 500 traffic?

It was in Indy, around 7pm on 71st(Westlane) just east of michigan rd. It's always busy because of the big apt complexes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Bonewell View Post
Yes, that's me. White helmet, black jacket. My hi viz Darien was in the closet. Maybe that would have made the difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sad to hear a Tiger met its demise so close to my house; I live like a mile from there. I just put my old yellow Roadcrafter up for sale so that I could get something that is truly hi-vis. I bought an LS2 hi-vis modular helmet ($170, good build quality) and a jacket with some hi-vis accents. While it isn't a complete safety "system", I think the contrast does help you stick out.





So what's the next bike going to be? I've got the 800XC, but would highly recommend the 800 roadie if I was doing things again.

Let me know if you want to kick the tires on a Tiger 800 some time; you are welcome to check out mine to see if you like them. Shoot me a PM if interested. After surveying what is currently available in the US, it is definitely my pick. That being said, if Triumph imports the 1050 Sport (this generation or the next), I'd look hard at one of those instead for the type of riding that I do.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 XC (Current commuter / sport tourer), 1972 CB450 (FOR SALE HERE)
2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO (SOLD), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!

IndyChizzle screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 06:46 AM
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,706
So curious if you know if she received a "right of way" violation?? Did you get witness phone numbers? I hope she is punished for her behavior....really glad you're mostly alright.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Sad to hear a Tiger met its demise so close to my house; I live like a mile from there. I just put my old yellow Roadcrafter up for sale so that I could get something that is truly hi-vis. I bought an LS2 hi-vis modular helmet ($170, good build quality) and a jacket with some hi-vis accents. While it isn't a complete safety "system", I think the contrast does help you stick out.





So what's the next bike going to be? I've got the 800XC, but would highly recommend the 800 roadie if I was doing things again.

Let me know if you want to kick the tires on a Tiger 800 some time; you are welcome to check out mine to see if you like them. Shoot me a PM if interested. After surveying what is currently available in the US, it is definitely my pick. That being said, if Triumph imports the 1050 Sport (this generation or the next), I'd look hard at one of those instead for the type of riding that I do.

I tried that LS2 at moto gp last year. I've been thinkin abt gettin one as soon as I had some spare cash or a reason to replace the hjc. The lil tiger is definitely on my list. Maybe I'll send you a msg when I can walk :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
Oatmeal Bonewell OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oatmeal Bonewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bizarro World
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So curious if you know if she received a "right of way" violation?? Did you get witness phone numbers? I hope she is punished for her behavior....really glad you're mostly alright.

I had a few witnesses tell me it was all on her, that they'd seen the whole thing. One said that she'd just remarked to her passenger that that guy was gonna hurt somebody right before the crash, but I really didn't have the presence of mind to get their numbers. The officer didn't mention citing them. I asked him if he's spoken to the witnesses and he said yes, that they agreed with my version of what happened.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Your momma sure does care about your schoolin, son.

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Bonewell View Post
I tried that LS2 at moto gp last year. I've been thinkin abt gettin one as soon as I had some spare cash or a reason to replace the hjc. The lil tiger is definitely on my list. Maybe I'll send you a msg when I can walk :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good. Get better bro!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 XC (Current commuter / sport tourer), 1972 CB450 (FOR SALE HERE)
2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO (SOLD), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 186
Tiger down!

Who took the pictures?
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014