User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Goldburg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
1200GS vs Golden Retriever

I was only about 4 miles from the house on a frequently traveled road when I spotted a big golden retriever (I thought it was a red setter, but my wife says a goldie) tearing down a long travel driveway headed to the road in front of me. I slow down to try to figure out what it's intentions were. He never looked at me, he was going across the street. He got across my lane to the double yellow and then saw me. He panicked and ran back across. I think I tried to get behind him but it was a nasty impact. I was probably going 45-50mph when I saw him, but I'm not sure how slow I was when we collided. I'm not sure what exactly happened. The owner of the retriever was chasing him down the driveway and saw the whole thing. My wife talked to him after they toted me to the ER. The retriever might not make it...

I want to ask him if I launched off the front or if the front end folded when I hit the dog. I saw sky at least once and ended up on my back straddling the double yellow line. As I laid there trying to determine what kind of shape I was in, I smelled blood and then my right eye filled up with it. Plenty of folks were near or drove up, so they got the bike off the road and then I grabbed my phone and called my wife, since I was close to home. EMTs showed up quickly and since my left side was (is) hurting pretty bad, I agreed to a ride to get some x-rays. They all turned out negative, so I was home 4 hours after the accident.

All of my injuries are on my left side. My shoulder is tore up pretty good. It hurts to raise it. My hand is fine. My biggest concern was my left rib area. Dang, it hurt. EMTs cut my favorite shirt off of me, but we didn't find anything crunchy. Left hip is bruised, left ankle is tweeked up high towards my shin.

Here's why I don't think my injuries were any more severe than they were:

1) I had my Aria Signet Q on, but I had safety rated sunglasses on and my visor up. I've got a nice gash across my nose. from something. Helmet shows left side road damage. Noggin' is fine, though.

2) Firstgear armored mesh pants. some padding in the hips and knee area did some good. The folks at the ER were all talking about the lack of damage to the pants. I can keep them a while...

3) Fieldsheer mesh jacket - I've got an abrasion on my left elbow where the jacket sleeve rode up my arm wore through. I've never been impressed with the Velcro closure at the wrist. It's toast.

4) Tourmaster WP boots - they did their job, but there are some gouges that will require me to replace them.

5) Held armored gloves - no issues with my hands whatsoever. There is one abrasion on the back hand side of left glove, but no issues with my hands...

The bike:
Windshield in 10 pieces - mounts on left side gone
Headlight shattered
Left turn signal in several pieces
left engine guard eat up pretty good (did it's job)
body on left hand side eat up pretty good from the road slide
left valve cover rashed some
Key module split in half - cover missing

I'm just posting for your information. I thank God that I am not more seriously injured.

Please, somebody post snarky comments about my riding style and decision making during this incident. I live for stuff like that...
Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
cavalier55
Motorcycle Widow

Oddometer: 85
Bluhduh Snark Snark

Why were you riding a GS?

Ecology is fact
cavalier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Me me me me me me me me me..blah blah..

What about the dog?
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Should have gassed it, a 1200 will blast right thru a Golden like a hot knife thru butter.

That sucks, really glad you are ok !! Bikes can be fixed!! The pirates at work laugh at me with ATGATT.
FongMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
2wdrift
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
re

If I ever see any animal especially the type that walks on two legs I slow down and I am careful. Just be glad it wasnt a pitbull that will get up and either lick you to death (slow and painful and the most likely) or be pissed off and bite your ass through the gear.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Goldburg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Snarks!

All good stuff!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
tread55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
You slowed down and were still going 40-50 mph? And you knew the dog was coming? Sounds like really poor decision making by you. Poor dog.
tread55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 861
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread55 View Post
You slowed down and were still going 40-50 mph? And you knew the dog was coming? Sounds like really poor decision making by you. Poor dog.
How about you get some reading comprehension? From the original post: "I was probably going 45-50mph when I saw him, but I'm not sure how slow I was when we collided."

Maybe the owner should have had him on a leash. Maybe there should have been a fence. Dog certainly shouldn't have been in the road, so blame the dog's owner. Goldberg clearly had the right of way.

I'm sure he fees bad enough about (possibly) killing the dog without your guilt trip. You sure showed some amazing sympathy for his injuries.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Both motorcycle accidents I've been in were caused by dogs running in front of me. Fortunately, I'm a slowpoke so I didn't get dinged up as bad as you describe.

Fucking dogs ran off uninjured both times...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 76
Doesn't the msf on like, day one, talk about how to avoid dogs?

I used to get chased by chihuahuas every morning leaving my suburb. Slow,accelerate ,swerve and they never seem to be able to comprehend it.

I did hit one with my truck though. 10lb dog VS my 9000lb diesel dually. And the lady STILL refused to fence or leash all her little stupid dogs.

Yay ATGATT though.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
IN march of this year I hit and killed a dog with my Versys. Broke seven ribs , ruined my Aerostich and Shoei rf-1000. Is or are the dog owners home owners insurance covering your damages? In my case the dog owners home owners insurance company has acepted responsibilty for my damages. Carl
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
tread55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Peep View Post
How about you get some reading comprehension? From the original post: "I was probably going 45-50mph when I saw him, but I'm not sure how slow I was when we collided."

Maybe the owner should have had him on a leash. Maybe there should have been a fence. Dog certainly shouldn't have been in the road, so blame the dog's owner. Goldberg clearly had the right of way.

I'm sure he fees bad enough about (possibly) killing the dog without your guilt trip. You sure showed some amazing sympathy for his injuries.
He asked for snarkey comments. That's what I gave him. Comprehend that. I also see you are powered by hate and want to free the shit out of me with bombs, so I'll take your negative reaction as a compliment. Rock on.
tread55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Mcreviver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Dog Vs Bike

I was on a charity group ride and a large dog ran out into the string of bikes, knocking down a GL1500 rider. He later asked what kind of dog it was so I told him, "I'm not certain, but I think it was a GoldWing Retriever."
Fortunately he wasn't hurt and got a laugh out of it.

I was riding the countryside roads on my 1969 CB750 down in Kentucky when I was in the Army and saw a German Shephard start to drag race me to the end of his driveway. I grabbed a handfull of throttle and just beat him noticing his teeth coming together in my rear view mirror. I wodered how far he would have gone before letting go if he had been a nano-second faster and clamped onto the rear rack.

Glad you're able to tell your tale or should I say "tail?"
Mcreviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
obsidian16825
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
About the msf, what we talk about is helpful if a dog is aiming to chase: slow down, including a downshift, and accelerate past the point of interception to disrupt the dog's timing. That doesn't help if the dog isn't timing an interception, but is running across the road without paying attention to the motorcycle, especially when it does a squirrel impression, sees the motorcycle, freaks a little, and reverses direction into the motorcycle's path of travel.

To be snarky: we teach about "squishables" and "non-squishables". If it's small enough to fit on a dinner plate, it isn't going to wreck you to hit it. If it is larger, try not to hit it. That being said, I know someone who split a Rottie in half with his GoldWing. He knew he was going to hit it, held on and twisted hard, didn't wreck, but had to wash his bike afterward. I don't recommend it.
I know someone else with metal plates in his face because someone's big puppy tried to dart between his wheels to get back across the street to his pack mates.
Years ago my husband's ex-stepson had a Boxer that wrecked a big Harley when it got past them out the door and darted out of the house for a jaunt around the neighborhood. It wasn't trying to chase, either. It was running in exuberance and didn't want to get caught. The kid's dad, with who the dog was living, had to pay for the motorcycle repairs and rider's medical bills. The dog died, so nobody had to worry about it escaping again.
obsidian16825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,059
Sorry about the rotten luck, Goldburg. Let's you and me and Laconic grab a cheeseburger sometime
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote