Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Must have been the steel wheel thread.

I liked the before pics with the stock dog dish wheels.

They are very common out here since they were used as fleet trucks for many companies.
I still have the steel wheels and hub caps but at 6 inches wide a 9.50 was all the width I could get. I had 33/9.5/15's on it and it is a odd ball size for sure. I think BFG is the only option
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I am really digging the ninth gen F series trucks, much more so than any newer trucks.

What is your ultimate 9th gen F series truck?

I've been on a serious hunt for 1992-1997 F150 or F250 LWB crew cab or extended cab in 4x4, and AT. What should one be on the look out? What's a desirable motor? Etc.

Educate me, please!
You won't find a crew cab F150 of that vintage.
What do you realy want out of the truck you are looking for?
If you just need a cheap light duty truck with minimal towing needs, a butt hauler with a bed, F150 with the 300 will do. The 300 was an industrial engine, really hard to kill as long as it gets some maintance. even when complete shot they still typically run OK.
The 302 V8 and 351 V8 were the other engines offered in the F150 of that date. The 351 gets a nod with a bit more torque.

The F150 transmissions of that vintage will be the AOD, AODE/4R70W, E4OD, and maybe the C6.
The AOD has the shift pattern PRN(OD)D1, least desirable transmission choice. 4-speed auto with a innovative locked torque convertor arrangment. It has a cable TV connection to control the shifts based off throttle position. Will be found on the early '90's with a 302. Not the greatest bit of engineering. Later they got computer controls with the AODE/4R70W which are both updated AODs with a ton of factory upgrades inside. Proper controled lock up torque convertor. The "W" is for wide ratio gear set, nice thing.

The C6 is a 60's 3-speed automatic. Strong and tough, bit of a power hog. The E4OD is an upgrade from the C6 with wide ratio gearset, lock up convertor and computer controlled. There are a few E4OD equipped F150s.

Now if you are looking for a crew cab and/towing then the F250 is a better choice. Really a completely different truck. Very limited use of the 302, some say never but I recall seeing one once and thinking it was swapped in. 351 is generally the base motor and will be on a crew cab. 460 gas is also available. 7.3 IDI (mechanical injected) diesel is OK, but very weak compared to modern diesels. Non turbo except for the very end. They have a cooling cavitation issue that will bore pin holes through the rear cylinder walls if the coolant isn't kept fresh. The real prize is the 7.3 powerstroke. Although not intercooled the computer controlled direct injected diesel is good for 200+ HP from the factory. 20+ MPG unladen is possible, better then any of the other choices. It is by far the most diserable engine choice. They will all be backed by the C6 or E4OD.

Then there is the bastard F250, the F150 with a heavy set of springs on it. F150 and F250 light duty are 5-lug, real F250s are 8-lug.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #33
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,138
Quote:
...should've never sold the bronco!
Should've never sold my Bronco

If I could find a well-priced, rust-free '78-79 Bronco with the XLT package and NP435 4 speed I'd buy it without hesitation. I see ones like that locally once in a while but they are never for sale...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 12:54 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #34
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
bronco, thats the info i was looking for. there is a F250 7.3 PS 4x4 extended cab in manual 5 speed, locally for $5k
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #35
tlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I don't particularly care for 1990 and up Fords, but I sure love my '85. I special ordered this baby, $14,860 OTD, have a notebook record of every oil change, repair, ect. since day one. This is a recent pic.....and it's not for sale so don't ask!:)

tlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post
I don't particularly care for 1990 and up Fords, but I sure love my '85. I special ordered this baby, $14,860 OTD, have a notebook record of every oil change, repair, ect. since day one. This is a recent pic.....and it's not for sale so don't ask!:)

That is a fine looking truck. What are those brackets for?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #37
tlm
Adventurer

Those brackets are for anchoring down my 8 ft Lance cabover, as partially seen on the right.....thanks for the compliment!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186;19354753
[IMG
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/IMG_0440.jpg[/IMG]

My Lightning, wish I could buy it back!

I have more if you guys want to see em. Ive had so many damn Fords sometimes I forget a few.
That Lightning sticker on the side Ford discontinued about 6 years ago. I bought everyone they had and all that I could find. Sold them all still as far as I know you cannot find or have them made without spending a BUNCH. They as you know are holographic. I also bought all of the stock shocks for these trucks.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I know about the stickers. I had to have my tailgate replaced when I had mine. It was about 6 years ago I think, the body shop that did the work found one some how. I still have the stock shocks off mine, but they have 100k on them LOL. I had eibach drop coils and bilstein shocks. I still think that truck handled better than the newer lightnings. I even had a powerdyne supercharger ready to go on it when I sold it. I thought I needed a brand new mustang at the time so I had to let it go.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post

That looks showroom new. What motor?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #41
tlm
Adventurer

460 with a C6
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #42
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
There is a white 96 Powerstroke 4x4 extended cab, 5 speed manual, white, immaculate for $5k locally.
you suck

M
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #43
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Everybody talks about the 300 like it's the second coming, i dont get it. My 93 was a gutless wonder, i used it to move to CT and back in 03. Pulling a 6*12 U-Haul it wouldn't get out of it's own way.

I'd much rather have a 302 that can get a B cam, and a decent set of heads for. I've built too many Mustangs that were solid performers
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #44
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
I think the fascination with the 300 is its reputation for reliability and longevity. It may take forever to get you somewhere, but it'll keep on getting you there for a few hundred thousand miles. YMMV, of course. :)

Personally, I'm with you. Gimme a V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Everybody talks about the 300 like it's the second coming, i dont get it. My 93 was a gutless wonder, i used it to move to CT and back in 03. Pulling a 6*12 U-Haul it wouldn't get out of it's own way.

I'd much rather have a 302 that can get a B cam, and a decent set of heads for. I've built too many Mustangs that were solid performers
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #45
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,053
This is the only digital photo I have of my 1991 with the 302 V8. It was a good truck and made it over 200K miles with just a transfer case leak and some early FI electronics weirdness. These all rusted away long ago here in the northeast.

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: