CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post
460 with a C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Back in the day that combo would rival any diesel in its class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

In everything but fuel mileage.

M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJBtq...e_gdata_player
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #62
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #63
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I am rather under impressed with them as well. UPS loved them, used them for years. They are found in airport tugs, wood chippers and generators. A 302 will run rings around a 300, then need a rebuild and run more rings around the 300. But the 300 will keep going while the 302 is being rebuilt. Out of all the industrial uses of the 300 I don't recall it being potent enough to ever make it up to the status of a boat motor.

I think the most redeaming feature is the fact that when they are so wore out that the oil light is on at idle, they can still have years of service left in them.
If you think the 300 is gutless, try the 240. More or less the same exact motor with a different bore and stroke. I have one in my '66 F-100. I don't think it's ever been rebuilt, and I have no idea how many actual miles are on it. But it still runs.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
If you think the 300 is gutless, try the 240. More or less the same exact motor with a different bore and stroke. I have one in my '66 F-100. I don't think it's ever been rebuilt, and I have no idea how many actual miles are on it. But it still runs.
My best friend growing up had a 66 lwb 240 3-on-tha-tree when we started driving. Oil bath filter, and added a qt every tank of fuel.

He busted his hand on the windshield pretty bad power shifting pulling out of the street races.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #65
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Still on the prowl for that ninth gen. I found an 8th gen, with manual windows (so caveman), but it has had everything done to it, but he is also asking a bit much ($2500). I am fairly confident I'll find something in the $1000-$2000 range locally that is in decent shape for me to kick around.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #66
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
You might not believe this but I paid $1500 for my 95 crew cab. I drug it out of the weeds in a pasture. Took my service truck out and got her running aired up the flat tires and drove it home.

I intended to use it for parts cause the front axle is worth what I paid for it but I liked the crew cab and it was in nice enough shape to fix and no rust here. I stopped counting how much I have in to it at $10000 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #67
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
The thing I see in used trucks is people seem to overlook what they would look for in a new truck. Axle ratio,engine,tranny all come second if the like the way it looks. That said I found my used truck 10 years ago and still have it. I wanted a lightning because I knew what I could do with it but also needed more room as I had two small kids at the time. This truck was a stolen recoverd truck all the took was the wheels and some Harley badges. I got it for a song pretty much.

It was exacty what I wanted . A Supercharged 4dr truck 3.73 gears 4r100 tranny. I still love it and it is going in for a makeover in a few days. The Harley thing does not bother me. It is fast and I have driven and modded it for ten years same engine/drivetrain.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #68
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

I had one of those as well. Mine was an 02 all black. Ndebt I recognize your screen name from nhtoc.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #69
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
I had one of those as well. Mine was an 02 all black. Ndebt I recognize your screen name from nhtoc.

Awesome!!!! Did you ever go to Lighning Fest in KC? I set up a booth there for several years. I still love that platform. If you do not smile when that supercharger whines and you are setting in a truck cab something is very wrong with you.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #70
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

No never made it that far. Im in Idaho after all. Honestly I didn't really like that truck near as much as my gen1 lightning. I liked the engine but did not like the chassis or interior. I paid to much for it and after a few years I kinda quit driving it so I sold it to get out of the payment. I had a ported blower 6lb pulley and custom tunes. Put lightning bilsteins and rear sway with a 3" rear drop. It ran good but just wasn't for me.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #71
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No never made it that far. Im in Idaho after all. Honestly I didn't really like that truck near as much as my gen1 lightning. I liked the engine but did not like the chassis or interior. I paid to much for it and after a few years I kinda quit driving it so I sold it to get out of the payment. I had a ported blower 6lb pulley and custom tunes. Put lightning bilsteins and rear sway with a 3" rear drop. It ran good but just wasn't for me.

A Tech that worked for me had at the time one of the fastest gen1 lightings around. It is a different truck no doubt. It is a lot of body to be really fast. But What do you have now if you don't mind?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #72
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

All I have now are two diesels. Both the old body style. I'm on the lookout for another gen1. But might be picking up an 05 super duty if the auction goes my way.

Between the gen1 and the HD f150 I had an 06 gt mustang as well. I liked that car too but the lightning is more practical for me.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #73
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All I have now are two diesels. Both the old body style. I'm on the lookout for another gen1. But might be picking up an 05 super duty if the auction goes my way.

Between the gen1 and the HD f150 I had an 06 gt mustang as well. I liked that car too but the lightning is more practical for me.

I don't want to throw this thead off track. but the 6.0 as far as on the track you can make very fast very easy.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #74
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
You might not believe this but I paid $1500 for my 95 crew cab. I drug it out of the weeds in a pasture. Took my service truck out and got her running aired up the flat tires and drove it home.

I intended to use it for parts cause the front axle is worth what I paid for it but I liked the crew cab and it was in nice enough shape to fix and no rust here. I stopped counting how much I have in to it at $10000 lol.

$10k? ouch?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #75
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
$10k? ouch?
Money poures into anything you have over the years. I tend to think about as what I would be paying on something I really did not want. His 10k I would guess was over a few years. that is cheap reallly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: