User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #91
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Napa number is 1734. Have you been over to oilburners yet? Lots of idi guys on there.

I'm still curious about that transmission. If its a 5 speed it may or may not have the dreaded dual mass flywheel in it still. The t19 4 speed never had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #92
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
On OB forum , already posting and meeting the inmates. It's a five speed! :(
Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #93
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

No worries with the 5 speed. With no turbo you won't over power that clutch and flywheel either. They just wear out and rattle. New clutch and solid flywheel kit was only $400. I put a banks sidewinder on mine then the flywheel said screw this shit I'm out. Lol

Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #94
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Where can one source that?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Where can one source that?
Source what? Banks? I was looking at Banks' site when I was thinking about an IDI. FWI've been told, they were supposed to become the OEM turbo/intake assy (double check that info, its hearsay)

You're getting to the age where people are stopping making 'go fast' bits for em. For example my '96 Stroke no longer had chips made for it by some of the folks out there. You know... the good ones!

Good luck!

M
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #96
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

At this stage of the game, I just need it to be very reliable work horse.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #97
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Ats made the factory turbo stuff and still supports them. Banks doesn't make many parts any more and I think quit selling the turbo kits. Hypermax still sells them as far as I know. I bought mine used for $700. Best money I spent on it.

As for the 7.3 stroked tuning the best in the business is still around and doing well. Tuning for the 7.3 has come along way recently. If you have an old chip I would highly recommend updating.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #98
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

I'm on the old NA 7.3 IDI. Loving the thing, but god, just another money pit.. You can't spit not to hit something that needs fixing. I painted the wheels flat black tonight; looks awesome -- a different truck -- on top of that, I put new Hankok DynaPro AT 235/85/16. Should I paint the body in flat white too? It would look bitching.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #99
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #100
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The 4-door version of that truck is only 22" longer than the extended cab. ...but it LOOKS huge! Its amazing how much bigger that 22" makes the truck look.

Sigh. Miss my truck.

M
Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #101
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Sure comes in handy when it comes time to put bicycles and roof rack back on the VW!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #102
SafetyThird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The 4-door version of that truck is only 22" longer than the extended cab. ...but it LOOKS huge! Its amazing how much bigger that 22" makes the truck look.

Sigh. Miss my truck.

M
I'm debating picking up a quad cab F350-I'm happy with my current rig but I find myself driving the kid to the lumber yard in it. At some point I'll have two kids and mebbe not enough space.

I'm probably too cheap to upgrade.
SafetyThird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #103
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyThird View Post
I'm debating picking up a quad cab F350-I'm happy with my current rig but I find myself driving the kid to the lumber yard in it. At some point I'll have two kids and mebbe not enough space.

I'm probably too cheap to upgrade.
The seat in the back of the F250 (like A1FA's) that I had was plenty big. Fit adults fine. Fits a kid or two better. Only issue is that those body style trucks came out right before that extra door became popular, so someone's gotta crawl into the back.

M
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #104
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Ive owned two OBS (Old Body Style) Ford Trucks as they are affectionately called by some.

1993 Bronco (still own)
Stock 302/E4OD/BW1356
Solid Coil Spooled D44 Front
Full cage
full on crawler

This truck has 130K+ on it on the stock engine/trans/T-Case/Rear Axle.
When I say it has been beat, I a mean it. Absolutely fantastic rig.
The only thing I put on it was a radiator and an alternator.

1996 F250 Crew 7.3 PSD

Put about 50K on this truck and traded it in around 240K. That 7.3 would absolutely rip with a TYMAR intake, exhaust, downpipe and black box. It hauled all of us around comfortably, got almost 20mpg and would pull anything you put behind it. I never needed to drop a $$ into it other than maint and upgrade items. The thing to look out for on PSDs is glow plugs and harnesses, the vanes in the turbo and if it has been used to haul/tow the condition of the tranny.

The E4OD is basically a computer controlled C-6 with OD. It is extremely strong, as long as it has kept cool. If you are going to pull with one put the largest cooler you can find on it and call it good.

If you want to make real power with a 7.3 you have to intercool it. 7.3's are solid solid solid motors, but have weak points like anything else. 250K mi injectors (depending on oil change intervals) that are not cheap to replace, wonky CPS, and flaky glow plug harnesses. If I was in the market for a truck to tow/haul with again, Id buy another one in a second.

I am a dyed in the wool Ford Truck guy, but their power steering is atrocious. Some call it the Ford Truck mating call. There are fixes for it using stock parts and they work really well, but may be overkill for a daily driver.

Let us know what you come up with. If you have any questions, let me know. Ive been around these trucks for a piece now and think they are fantastic.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #105
Peter.thepiper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have always been a car guy and was never really into trucks until recently. Some buddies of mine took me off roading and ever since I've been hooked!

I definitely love the way 9th Gen F250's look. But that's all I really know about them. Sadly, I'm a super newb when it comes to 4x4's. I'm looking to pick up a F250 here soon and I'm going to go look at this guys rig this weekend. Its a 1992 F250 4x4 with the 5.8L V8 manual transmission. Has some sort of lift but idk what. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

Anyone & everyones help is appreciated. One more question, how can I tell which transmission variation it has?

Peter.thepiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: