User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
sarathmenon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Installing the beak

While installing handlebar risers today, I accidentally dropped the e-torx bit inside the plastics somewhere next to the cylinders. After shaking the bike a bit, I realized that the bit is lodged in deep for good. I had removed the front side panels in a hurry to get to it, and forgot the order in which I was dismantling them. I managed to fish out the e-torx bit, but while putting the panels back, I can't figure out how to put the front beak back on.

There is this plastic part that fits in the middle which has the thread for the top screw. The screw also goes in through a slot in the beak, and a slot in the side panel. After trying to figure out which piece goes in how, I came to the conclusion that it should be beak first, side panel next and the plastic thingy at the last. The problem with this approach is that I can't get the beak to fit in snug. It's hard to explain this but if I am not making sense, I can post some pics to explain what I am saying.

Since I had taken out both panels at the same time, now I do not have a reference to compare how it was originally done Can any of you folks explain how this is done? I know this is simple stuff, but I happen to be mechanically challenged
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,401
Oh boy...reminds me of when I was a kid and I opened up my dads 25' tape measure. Worse than a can of nuts with a spring snake in it.

Yeah, it's a mini puzzle that has tab A going into slot B. I'm bored so I'll go try for some pics.

NEXT TIME:

You can remove either side panel first, then leave the beak attatched to the other panel and remove it as an assembly. That's how to do it more efficiently and then you can look at the assembled side to see how the other is supposed to go.

Stand by......
Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Ok so I need the posting practise and the associated kharma. My odd-o-meter is low and am planning a trip now.

This is the assembled correctly pic:

Well now I'm about to learn how to use Smugmug and/or Photobucket. You're probably done and gone by now.........
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/reaver66/

Until I figure this out, use the link to see the pics. Make sure the tab is properly in the slot. You'll know when the screw holes line up. Do one side at a time.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
sarathmenon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I wonder how I missed this the fist time around, it was really simple afterall. Of course, your bike could do with a wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
]Until I figure this out, use the link to see the pics. Make sure the tab is properly in the slot. You'll know when the screw holes line up. Do one side at a time.
There's a post here on advrider that shows how to attach images. Basically, you attach them with the img tag from photobucket, like

and

Click on reply with quote and you'll see what I did
Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

How Bout Now???????

Ok, maybe.

This is the assembled pic:

This hopefully helps:

Assemble one side panel
install beak with one back bolt
install front plastic piece correctly on that side and bolt up
install opposite side panel with one or two screws loosely so it doesn't fall off
spread side panel so plastic piece goes into slot properly
bolt front of beak then rear

Ride safe.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 05:55 AM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

I see you beat me to it!

Yes I figured it out. Would rather ride instead of lernin' these damn confuser stuff.

Wash a GS?? Now you're being funny! Suppose I ought to wash the Jeep too. No, I use them both as intended. It rained today, shoulda left it out.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
sarathmenon OP
Studly Adventurer

So I was actually doing it the correct way, it's hard to see what's where if the headlight assembly is still on. The plastic part, TAB A is bent out of shape. I tried twisting it, but it looks very fragile. I've given it a good dose of loctite for now, that should hold it up till the next time I have to dismantle.