User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
mtm100 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Sidecar Advice

I bought my first rig this spring. A Ural Gear up. I've been riding it most everyday and took the advanced sidecar
training class. The Ural has been as expected and I'm pretty happy with it. The UDL and lack of high speed
capability are about my only complaints. So my question is. How many people move from a Ural to a rig built
on a 1200GS or like bike? I understand the GS rig won't have reverse or two wheel drive. Not sure how much I'd miss the two wheel drive but I use the reverse most every time I ride. I've had several 1200gs's in the past and ride a 2012 now. I mostly ride local with my sweet heart and commute on the Ural. I haven't ventured more than a hour or two
from home so far. On my GS 500+mi days are the norm. Will I want to do the long rides on any rig is a question
only I can answer I guess.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 790
Here ya go

Here is a couple who went from a Ural to a CSM GS rig.

Check it out. If you read thru the whole thing, you will put your order in for one. So be careful what you read

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739872
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
We went from this 2007 "farkled" Tourist:

To this 2007 R1200GSA with a Dauntless M72D:

I never had 2wd so I don't miss it. Reverse......I suppose you do have to think twice before just whipping into any parking space without it, it hasn't been an issue for me YET. My rig rolls backwards pretty easy on flat ground. With parking spots that slope from the center of the street to the curb, I just use the slope to back me in.

Long rides indeed! On the Ural Tourist, a 200 mile ride was a fun all day "Adventure". Now, 300+ mile day trips are still tons O' fun, but not as much of an Adventure. I can jump on the freeway and relax with power to move around in traffic rather than trying to keep up with it. In the "twisties" my new rig handles much lighter in addition to it accelerating and stopping better than the Ural ever though of.

To me the Ural is a cool around town rig, but to travel, I think the GSA w/ sidecar is the only way to go.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Can't help you with the fact that I haven't owned a Ural, but this is what I do have.
From New Sidecar

'06 GSA with a M72DX from Jay at DMC.
We thought about the Ural, but really wanted the ability to roll down the slab when necessary.
It's OK off-road, but really needs more agressive tires to do it well.
We spend most of our time on the pavement so that's why we are using these tires.
Good luck.

Edit - 500+ miles down twistie roads on any hack is gonna wear you out...depending on your level of physical fitness.
Loaded with the wife and camping gear, I'm good on the slab for about 500 or so.
Twisties all day long will cut that in half for me.
If you do get a GS or GSA hack, get the electric tilt control...it will make things much easier on you.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

BeeMaa screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 01:27 PM
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
I can echo with Strong Bad...but cannot help you with the fact as I've never owned an URAL but have heard and met Uralistas who have chimed in- in asking me about my 1200GS/DMC rig during my travels. Like Strong Bad says..200+ might be calling it a day?

My longest distance on my GS/DMC was 767 miles and I still could go on but found out that all Motels are usually booked by 1600hrs...so I reduced my mileage to 300-400 in order to get a room. Riding at an easy 65-75 mph with hardly a wimper from the 100hp boxer makes a days run pretty quick, safe and very comfortable.

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 01:28 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Might want to give Claude a call at C Stanley Motorsports.
He's a great guy, also an inmate here.
He's done a lot of the GS/GSA hacks and has pics on his website.
Link below.

http://freedomsidecars.com/index.html

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,554
Reverse is important?

Not sure why you use reverse so much.

Recently went on a ride with 3 guys on Urals in the backcountry. Twice we had to make U-turns on narrow dirt roads. I watched while all three went forward, then backed up, then went forward, then backed up, then finally went forward. Is the URAL turning radius that small? I just pointed my GS rig to the shoulder, pulled on the bars, and came round in one easy motion.

As for parking, if the parking spot is uphill, you nose in. If the parking spot is downhill, you swing around and let gravity back you in. If the parking spot is flat, doesn't matter, no big deal, you can push the GS rig pretty easy even fully loaded. Unless of course you're an amputee or have some other physical issue.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
I'm another who has never owned a Ural. Given the miles I need to cover in relatively short periods of vacation time available to me, I needed something that could scoot right along. My GSA/Hannigan rig will cruise at 80 all day if I don't mind the fuel economy penalty. Once I got the ergos set up properly it was easy to handle 500 mile days. Like Elmer, my longest day was 761 miles and while Barley and I could have kept going, places to stay are easier to find while the sun is up.

Never had a need for reverse. A hack is remarkably easy to push since you don't have to worry about it staying upright. Half the time I can pull up to where I want to park, then roll back into the space. The other half of the time I pull into the space, then roll backwards when leaving. When I have to dismount and push, it's easy even on a bit of a slope.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com

Boondox screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 05:08 AM
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 349
Sidecars

Don't have a Ural or a BMW. I have a Tiger, with a trailer. Never needed reverse or two wheel drive.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,883
83 Honda GL 1100 / Ural

I'm going from a unfaired wing /ural learner to my 1150gs adv CSM, the old bike was 200 mile day lots of work to ride till I put a steerite on it and then it was easier to ride faster and required less muscle, realistically I don't think anyone drives a sidecar faster than 65mph unless on an interstate. Maybe someone will correct me but there's a lot going on driving one, I'd still have the Honda Ural had there been an easy way to get more ground clearance.The amount of energy input a sidecar rig requires is directly dependent on the setup and steering mods (trail reduction) on the bike and should be figured into the price.DB
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
I never had a complete Ural,but I'm on my third rig.The other 2 were 81RT/Ural & a92RT/EML leaner.I now have an 03GSA/Ural..For some oe the same reason the other inmates had.The horse power..I wanted arig with enough power to do highway speeds.The GS /hack combos work great...Talk to Claude hes the best builder around...GS pack mules are great....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
I've only had the Ural 6 months or so, no complaints - it is exactly what I expected it to be.
I realistically don't expect it to cover 500 plus miles on an interstate any day. When I'm riding it longish distances I automaticlly plan on traveling on lesser roads.

For a one week trip that I really want to cover 1600 miles round trip I'll ride another bike. If time isn't my #1 concern the Ural is more fun. Five days camping and cruising the Blue Ridge - Ural. Head to Utah for a look around and come back - nope, unless I have 30 or 40 days to do it.

Heaven help me but I'm looking at Craigslist now for a larger displacement cream puff to hang a sidecar off.The panache of the Ural is satisfying and for local cruises I couldn't be happier but distance cruising at sustained speeds just doesn't seem to be what a Ural is happiest doing.

I've learned to work around the short comings of motorcycles since starting to ride - cold and wet are the first two that come to mind. I can work around the lack of reverse with a grunt or two and a grin.

Call me a heretic.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
We have done almost 500 GS type bikes now and have found they make great sidecar bikes. We normaly go with either our M72D or our M72DX sidecar both are on sale right now. We can also help find you a bike local to us so that we can install the sidecar and ship you the finished bike or we can ship you a sidecar to install your self.
Let me know if I can be of help.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
mtm100 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about. I spoke with Claude before I bought the Ural.
He thought the Ural might be a good place for me to start. And it is. I will have him build me a rig if I
outgrow the Ural. For short trips and winter riding I think it will be fine. Its the trips to Vt from Boston
that are tough. I jump on my GS and in a hour and a half I'm in heaven. Not that easy on the Ural. But we have
good riding here in Mass too.

Thanks again for the reply's,
Mark

Still trying to find out which is slower :)

mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100 View Post
Still trying to find out which is slower :)

You could hook that Kendon trailer to the tractor and still be in VT sooner.
Cheers and good luck.