Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Round The World: 2 Chileans Conquering the World on a KLR

Dear all:

some may have read about our plans of doing a RTW trip with my girlfriend in a KLR650:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979257
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986932

We already took a ferry from Barcelona to a port near Rome, we didn't have time to check all the equipment and the bike was too too heavy, even the rear tire had a "burning rubber smell" after some Kms in the highway in Italy, so in Rome we changed the heavy aluminium panniers for soft ones, and we send a package to some friend in Spain with the spare drive train (chain and sprockets), with the lighter bike we rode without problems from Rome to Winterthur (near Zurich), tomorrow we ride to Munich.

But the bike is still not at easy with the weight, so yesterday we bought better spring for the rear and front suspensions. We hope to change them before getting into Russia. We will look for a help exchange meanwhile we wait for the parts, the idea is to let time pass and do not spend money.

And everybody here loves our huge Safary Tank and our Chilean number plate

Here some pics:

The bike at the beginning:

The Pope at Vatican City:

KLaRa with her new luggage:

What I like the most about Italy: the scooters (the worrd reminds me the word hooters)

Stelvio Pass, Italian Alps (the Stelvio bike get her name from here): It is really AWESOME!! and there lots of bikers

More pics in the following Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2998997&type=1

V's!!!!!
GotanFromChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Looks fantastic ! How are you finding the KLR with a pillion on board ?
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Hi guys, if you're passing by Zagreb, send a PM we can grab a beer or two

Stay safe and enjoy adventure of lifetime
Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 372
Hi,

Great pix - I don' suppose you were interested in the girl on the scooter one little bit

Now following your trip :)

Simon
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Hi to everybody:

Thanks!

Frgich: Sadly we are not passing through Croatia, may be for our second RTW.... Some day

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead_irl View Post
Looks fantastic ! How are you finding the KLR with a pillion on board ?
With the pillion + 45liters each aluminium pannier and the transmission pack in them.... The bike was crap...

Now without carrying the transmission, and so 40 litres soft panniers it feels very nice... And we are waiting forward to get the suspension upgrades.

Cheers from Austria.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Great start to this report! Looking forward to reading more of it! Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Re: RTW: Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep. now in Poland

Hi all:

To continue reporting about our one year RTW trip. We already cross Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Czech Repubic now we are in Poland

(
This thread comes from:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994439
)

We have been couple of weeks in Poland, waiting for better springs we bought in USA... And we got them some days ago!! The suspension was not good enough to carry all our weight. Now with the new suspension the bike is like another bike/ feels really great.

In Poland the people is great, and the best (beside the beautiful girls) is that all the bikers salute every biker, even inside the cities.

Tomorrow we go to Lithuania, then Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Georgia, Armenia and Turkey.

And some pics:

Prague

A turn in the Alps

Camping in the Alpes, Austria

Princess' Castle, Germany

Yes, Disney copied it

Heavy rain got us in Vienna

Prague

Route

Warsaw

Some maintenance

There are lots of more pics in the links in my signature.

Cheers and best routes!!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Ahhh! so the rain here (Vienna) was your fault eh? Grrr!!

Great pictures :) Would love a bit more commentary with each one though.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Hi Catweasel67:

Thanks!

And it would be great to have time to write some more about the pics and the riding... But it's hard to find it... You wouldn't believe how much it take us to update our blog (which is only in Spanish, sorry)

But if you are interested in our Facebook we pit some more I do about the pics/ and in English and Spanish :)

Cheers

And I'm sorry about the rain hahaha
Old 10-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #11
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

RTW: last part of Europe: Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia

Dear all:

Just to show you more pictures of our trip around the world two up in a KLR650 second gen.

This history comes from this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003920

Here some pics of the last part we rode in Europe. To be honest, ride Europe was very easy, because it's easy to find people who speaks English (but not in small towns) and the road signs are easy to read, even if you don't know the language, as the ABC is almost the same.

In Poland we changed the rear and front springs... The bike used to fell very weak but now it feels very strong and comfortable! We are very happy with the change!!

And in Europe the drivers are generally quite safe, I just have some trouble in the first kilometers in Estonia, as there when a road have only two lanes, the slower vehicles goes half in the road and half outside, so the two lanes road becomes a three lanes road.

At the beginning I got angry when cars overtook me in my own lane, but then I realized that's how it works there and I adapted, so I moved to the right edge of the road.

Now we have been some weeks in Russia, and here is another story!

Heading to a camping site in north Poland:

Camping in Augustow, north of Polonia

Old square in Kaunas, Lithuania

Cat's house, Riga (Latvia)

Cat's house, Riga (Latvia)

Old downtown in Riga (Latvia)

Old downtown in Riga (Latvia)

Riga (Latvia)

The most beautiful thing of riding Estonia is that here we saw lots of forests and few towns, after some months riding through Europe we got bored of seeing so many towns:

Tallinn, the capital of Estonia has the historical medieval downtown best preserved in Europe (so they say):

From Tallinn, the Baltic sea is around the corner:

Another beautiful landscape in Estonia:

And from Tallinn we went to Russia!!! But I will left that for another post.

In the Facebook page we have lots of pics! And if you read Spanish, the blog have a looong writing about this part of the journey.

Buenas rutas!!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #12
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

RTW: After crossing Europe we already crossed Russia!!!

Hi!!

Its been a lot since my last post... let me tell you guys that we have been 2 and a half months in Russia, we cross it north to south (the original plan was to do it east to west, but autumn got us so we changed it, we hope next year get to Vladivostock). I didnīt get any answer from my previous posts, but anyway I guess there preople interested because our webpages received lots of visits after I made that post.

(for those who donīt know, Iīm doing a Round The World trip with my girlfriend in one KLR second gen, this topic comes from:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=25197495 )

We enter Russia from Estonia, then we went to Saint Petersburg and then to Moscow.

Basilic in Saint Petersburg:

Chilean wine is popular in Russia (yes, there it says Chile :) , we came from there ):

Basilic in Moscú:

The drivers here are from a horror movie, but is fun to drive always alert at what crazy thing are they going to do, way more fun than ride in Europe, I sort of feel at home.
We almost saw at least a crash every day, just 3 days we dint see any, but a day we saw 2, another day we saw 6 crashes!

After Moscow all the signs in the route are in Russian, Iīm happy that I already learn to read Russian, even do I have no idea of what the hell am I reading hahaha:

Old orthodox russian church:

We did wild camp several times, ist really fun and as Russia is so big is not hard to find an isolated place to throw the tent and not bee seen (even with our orange tent)

Dirt road we took to get to a lake:

We wild camp in the coast of this lake, south from Saint Petersburg:

Then we went to Kazán, capital of the republic of Tatarstán (a musalim republic not only inside, but part of Russia)

Mosque in Kazán

Second War park in Saratov:

One of the 2 falls so far in this trip, coming back from wild camping next to a River... We canīt always win, but thatīs part of the adventure and Iīm damn sure you guys will agree:

Beautiful trees painted by the autumn:

In the "highway" we found an old guy selling watermelons and fungi in an old Ukranian bike with side-car:

This sort of fake police is intented to make the drivers do not over speed hahaha:

One day the dusk was so beautiful that we decided to wild camp next to the road:

I did a litle trip to Crimea, I got to Sevastopol. I was worried because maybe there could be military fights or big protests (that was what I thought), but everything looked quite normal and it fell like be in Russia. And the people I met told me they were happy to be Russia again (Well, all the people I met were or Russian tourist or Russians born in Crimea when that land belonged to Ucraine). Iīm really sad I couldnīt listen the other side of the story.

For those who donīt remember, Crimea belonged to Ucraine untill the begining ot this year, wen it was incorporated to Russia. But this land log ago was part of Russia, and was given to Ucraine by the Soviet Union. Thatīs why, even when this land belonged to Ucraine, most people there were Russians.

Getting to Sebastopol:

Fixing the bike in Sevastopol: (just a broken headlight)

After Kazan we went to Elista, capital of the republic of Kalmykia, which is very interesting as is the only buddhist republic in Europe. And yes, is a republic inside/part of Russia. BTW, here we took kalmykian tea, wich is quite close to mongolian tee, with salt, butter and other stuff, sounds bad... but itīs really gooood.

Estepa landcape, typical in the republic of Kalmykia:

Dusk arriving to Elista:

Buddhist temple in Elista. Yes, this is Russia:

We were in the road going out from Kalmykia, we stop in a little petrol station to refuel, the security guy knew like 3 words in English, with that and the 10 words of Russian I knew he invited us to have lunch, people in Russia is quite easygoing and hospitable:

Our plan was to flee from the cold winter towards south, spend about 3 months in Georgia and then go to Turkey. We were in Elista, 3 days road to get to Georgia, just by chance my girlfriend saw in Internet that visa policy changed a month ago. Before we didnīt need visa (we check that like two months ago while in Poland), now we need visa to go to Georgia... And we have to get it in Argentina!!

Dry fish and fruits kiosk next to the road:

Animals in the highway.... safety here is not a concern at all!:

Another dirt road, ahead a truck hardly seen:

So we changed our route and went to Sochi, to take a ferry to Turkey... there we went to the port and the only company with ferry to Turkey had some administrative problems... no ferry, maybe next week. The week after thay say the same "maybe next week"... 4 weeks we waited so we came to Novorosick were we are now, here are not ferry either, so we are now triyng to find out if thereīs a ferry from Sevastopol.

The termporary import of the bike expires at the end of this month, so if we donīt get any ferry we will try to catch a plain. Meanwhile we are stuck in south Russia, we canīt go north because is too cold, we didnīt find any ferry so far, and the only neighbour countries are Georgia and Ukaine, and for both I sould get visa en Argentina!

Olimpic Park, Sochi:

Olimpic Park, Sochi:

"racing like a boss "

If yor are interested in the story of our trip, you can see it in our Facebook page (English and Spanish) or in our blog (sorry, just in Spanish but thereīs the selection of the coolest pics). Both pages in the links in my signature.

And thanks a lot for all the "like" we already have more than 300 likes :)

Buenas rutas!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
thanks foe sharing your photos. Where to next?

p.s. It's best to put all the parts of your report into 1 thread so inmates can follow your RTW in just one thread. Let me work on it.

GB screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 04:38 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #14
GotanFromChile OP
Adventurer

Hi thanks!!

next we go to Turkey... around 3 months there and we have to plan next year, we want to do the silk route and go to Vladivostok.

Abouth the threads, I thought It would be better to have diferent entrys... But if u know its better to have it in just one and can do it it would be great!

Buenas rutas!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
It makes it easier to follow your RTW and keeps it all in one place. I've merged your threads and gave it a new title for now, please let me know if you want the title changed and to what...