User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
kickstandsup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Scotland 2014

My wife and I just did 2 weeks in Scotland; 10 days on a rented BMW F800GT, and the rest on foot in Edinburgh. We rented a little cottage in Glenelg on the west coast, with a view of the Isle of Skye, and did loops thru the Highlands for a week, including John O'Groats.

We then went south to Moffat, staying at the Buccleuch Arms Hotel, an incredibly biker friendly establishment with individual bike garages on prem!

After turning the bike in, we stayed in downtown Edinburgh and took in all the sites.

A wonderful trip, and the GT did not miss a beat, averaging 62 mpg 2-up for 1900 miles. The single-track roads are a blast, especially the road to Applecross.

Some photos at this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1063477...eat=directlink

Enjoy!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Nice pics!

I'd be interested to know what your expenses were like for lodging, food, etc. The wife and I are considering Scotland as an anniversary destination, but not sure if the budget will fit.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,967
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in Scotland. I guess you got some of our unusually good weather as well.

I had a young couple from the San Francisco Bay Area staying for a few nights, a couple of weeks back. They rented a Z1000 SX from the local Kawasaki dealership and I showed them round for a couple of days. In fact we also took in Moffat on the first day, during a tour of the Borders and SW Scotland. The second day, I took them up to Glencoe where we basked in a very untypical 80 deg F temperature. Some pics from the Ride Report thread on BARF here - http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...45&postcount=3 and here - http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...51&postcount=4

I think it's fair to say that we have roads and scenery to rival pretty much anywhere else in the world. We also have several motorcycle dealerships now doing rental. I can think of two close to me and there are a couple in Edinburgh. I suspect you must have rented your BMW from Motorrad Central in Dalkeith.

I'm currently considering the possibility of doing some more guided tours for US residents. Having enjoyed great hospitality in the US on numerous occasions over the years, it seems only right to pay it forward and back where possible. I'm also considering the option of doing Airbnb in some of our spare rooms.

However, more importantly, if anyone considering visiting Scotland, either to ride or to tour by car, would like advice in the meantime, I'm more than happy to be of assistance.

Schtum screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 04:57 PM
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
kickstandsup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Nice pics!

I'd be interested to know what your expenses were like for lodging, food, etc. The wife and I are considering Scotland as an anniversary destination, but not sure if the budget will fit.
All I can say is that for us Yanks, it is expensive because of the exchange rate, right now about $170 will get you 100 pounds. Like anywhere else, there are a range of places to stay, with costs varying widely. We stayed at a "self catering" cottage in Glenelg, the Buccleuch Arms Hotel in Moffat, and a rental apartment on Rose St in Edinburgh. The first night, we stayed at the Sun Inn, just outside of Edinburgh in Dalkeith, which was near the BMW rental dealer, Motorrad Central. We were very, very happy with all the accommodations and the service.

The Buccleuch Arms is a real find, the whole family ride, the roads in the area are beautiful and the owner, Dave Smith, also runs the website www.motogoloco.com. Which, by the way, has a great gps routing program that works off google maps…so much better than Basecamp.

We need to go back soon!!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote