User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,063
Universal bike lift?

I'm doing more tire changes for friends, etc with my new No-Mar machine, but more often than not people want to bring me a bike and not just the wheel. I don't currently have a good way to lift the bikes (ratchet straps to the ceiling work) so I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a universal bike lift?

I see the "universal" rear and front wheel stands for the sport bikes and guess that I could buy a set and some rear spools and just use them on the sport bikes. Any other ideas especially for bikes that can't be lifted with a floor jack type lift?

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
I'm a huge fan of my Southworth hydraulic lift table. I think that coupled with a small scissor jack that can be configured to lift off frame spars etc would be perfect.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I'm a huge fan of my Southworth hydraulic lift table. I think that coupled with a small scissor jack that can be configured to lift off frame spars etc would be perfect.
Thanks. I just sold my lift table as I seldom used it and it took up way too much floor space. I really just want something I can put away when not in use.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560

Works on everything except a full fairing sportbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post

Works on everything except a full fairing sportbike.
Thanks. I seem to be needing to lift sportbikes more than anything else these days. I had one similar to this from Sears when I had a Honda VTX. Worked great!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I have a "universal" one at the shop that works with bikes, quads, UTV's, sleds, trailers etc.

The downside is the version I have now is quite expensive.

Bleeding rear brakes on a Rhino:

This version cost me a 24 of beer when my neighbour moved:

jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
I have a "universal" one at the shop that works with bikes, quads, UTV's, sleds, trailers etc.

The downside is the version I have now is quite expensive.

Bleeding rear brakes on a Rhino:

This version cost me a 24 of beer when my neighbour moved:

Nice,

I've been using ratchet straps attached to the rafters in the garage. They do work.

I bought this today for $24 at HF. Works well for the rear. Fronts will be strap lifted for now I guess.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
Have you looked at this? Looking at it in the Harbor Freight store I think it could be made to knock down and setup quickly if you swapped a couple of bolts for pins. I was on the fence about getting this or the table and went for the table because I wanted a lot of height. Still not sure if it was the right choice though I am digging the table lift.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

^^ that ^^ wouldn't work for the majority of the bikes I'm wrenching on as they have no frame under the engine, but thanks for the idea!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Jaxaussie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What about a Kendon lift. I use mine alot
Jaxaussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
yellowcarbon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Pit Bull stands work very well for getting the tires off the ground. They work well with sports bikes. There are different pins for the front stands on the triple clamp version. So it can work on a wide range of bikes. You can even charge a 'pin' charge for anyone the has an unusual pin size.

I picked up a front & rear set of stands on Craigslist for $200. I previously bought the Harbor Freight rear stand, but wasn't 100% happy with it. The Pit Bull really is a much better stand.
yellowcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcarbon View Post
Pit Bull stands work very well for getting the tires off the ground. They work well with sports bikes. There are different pins for the front stands on the triple clamp version. So it can work on a wide range of bikes. You can even charge a 'pin' charge for anyone the has an unusual pin size.

I picked up a front & rear set of stands on Craigslist for $200. I previously bought the Harbor Freight rear stand, but wasn't 100% happy with it. The Pit Bull really is a much better stand.
I did tires, bearing and seals on a 06 ZX6R yesterday. Used the HF rear swingarm lift which worked great, especially for $24. Ratchet straps on the triple for the front.

I love my Pit Bull stands for the Duc and others, but they're pricey.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
For the front, dont use the ones that life from the bottom of the forks. I have never found them to be stable. Forks can twist and there goes the bike.

Do what someone else said and get the one that lifts from under the triple tree. Just need a bunch of pins for each brand of bike.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 AM   #14
Diddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I just bought a set fron ghost bikes in the uk, Front asnd rear heavy duty ones, its a lower tripple lift front that came with a big range of pins to suit my needs! spot on really. Lower tripple lifts are the future as you can service forks with em too

here is a link to the ones i bought just for ref.

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/A...ock-stand.html
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
I just bought a set fron ghost bikes in the uk, Front asnd rear heavy duty ones, its a lower tripple lift front that came with a big range of pins to suit my needs! spot on really. Lower tripple lifts are the future as you can service forks with em too

here is a link to the ones i bought just for ref.

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/A...ock-stand.html
Thanks. That's probably the route I'll need to go. The straps work well, but setup takes a bit of time.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><