User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,245
Bluhduh Ink Cartridge

I bought a cheapo reman ink cartridge from Micro Center and it doesn't work already. It's a HP 27 black cartridge. Used it once a month ago and it worked fine.

I tried cleaning with isopropanol, didn't help. Currently soaking in warm water.

Any other ideas?

Not really a garage deal, but I didn't want JM answers.

D.T. screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 09:40 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I bought a cheapo reman ink cartridge from Micro Center and it doesn't work already. It's a HP 27 black cartridge. Used it once a month ago and it worked fine.

I tried cleaning with isopropanol, didn't help. Currently soaking in warm water.

Any other ideas?

Not really a garage deal, but I didn't want JM answers.
Are your print heads on the ink cartridge? If you're soaking your cartridge and it's the separate print head (or the printer plumbing) that's clogged, you're not going to get the problem resolved.

Also, if you're mostly printing B&W text, consider an inexpensive laser printer. They don't clog, don't smear if water spills on them, don't mind sitting for months, and generally produce a nicer-looking text output. Then you farm out your infrequent color jobs to a drugstore, photo shop, etc. The price ends up being pretty similar, but it's a lot less frustrating, IME.

Oh yeah, we could probably be more helpful if we knew the model of printer.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,293
JM.....I had to have a JM kind of argument with my boss when they decided to take away my HP printer with the 27s and install a central printer to reduce cartridge costs. I won....no way I was climbing upstairs to pick up my documents considering that the "main" printer was always left jammed or out of paper.

The cheapos sure made a mess out of my home printer....I tossed them and back to factory. And I don't print much at home so will sit there for months unused. Always work again, I just printed a test page after 3-4 months, looks good.German neighbor is still adamant that I should use my printer more to prevent the ink drying, serves him for buying the cheap ones and then he complains about the price of paper.

Cheapos=no ink and empty after a few pages. HP27s I must have pushed thousands of pages at work through them. Yield is around 250 pages at "best" printing. Set printer on draft and keep going for a few hundred pages over that.Let me remember....15 pages a day minimumX7days a week+ 50 to 100 pages for the monthly orders and they'd last 6 weeks,sometimes up to 8. Cheap!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

I will look at a laser printer. I'm sick of the cartridges. Expensive and don't last worth a sh@t.

The water soak worked, sort of. But I threw $18 bucks in the garbage.

I have a Best Buy gift card to burn...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/network-ready-wireless-black-and-white-laser-printer/1148536.p?id=1218225366203&skuId=1148536&st=categoryid$abcat0511003&cp=1&lp=1
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Any other ideas?
I just bought the same cartridges 27 and 28 for my printer at walmart. No sense in looking for a cheap one since I do not print that much. I think both were under 50 total. My printer is about 12 years old. it works.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
I will look at a laser printer. I'm sick of the cartridges. Expensive and don't last worth a sh@t.

The water soak worked, sort of. But I threw $18 bucks in the garbage.

I have a Best Buy gift card to burn...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/network-ready-wireless-black-and-white-laser-printer/1148536.p?id=1218225366203&skuId=1148536&st=categoryid$abcat0511003&cp=1&lp=1
That printer is a fine consumer product. If you're only printing a couple of times a month, you're unlikely to wear it out.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
HP is one of the companies that dates the cartridge and after a set date it will not print even if there is lots of ink in the cartridge. When buying these cartridges choose one with the longest expiration date. Because of this policy I choose not to buy HP products.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

I got a Brother $150 Laser printer at best buy for $92 bucks.

On sale for $120 and a returned unit that passed inspection just happend to be there.

I had a friend call today for a possible job to apply for. Need to send out a resume tomorrow.

$50 for a toner cartridge.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-...&skuId=1148536

EDIT: thanks for the advice! The laser printer works great! Resume is OTD also..

D.T. screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 03:05 PM
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
HP is one of the companies that dates the cartridge and after a set date it will not print even if there is lots of ink in the cartridge. When buying these cartridges choose one with the longest expiration date. Because of this policy I choose not to buy HP products.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #10
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 390
Quote:

Ive heard that before from the guy at Cartridge World. Didn't know if it was true or if he was full of it.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I bought a HP1006 LaserJet several years ago and couldn't be happier with it. HP print quality, toner cartridges last a long time or seem to. Home use so probably about 1500-2000 pages a year and one cartridge. short start to print time and very few jams. Does a great job on LaserJet Labels from Avery. Office Depot or Staples and was right around $100.00. I buy cartridges direct from HP.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
I bought a $22 Canon printer a few years ago and refill the cartridges myself. Works great and costs next to nothing to print.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
LimitedSlip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
I've worked at HP for almost 24 years; several of which were in pen test and manufacturing. First I've heard of this. I've been out of the pen/printer world for several years but I know of no technical reason why this would be true. Can you document this assertion?
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,840
My less than one year old Epson Workforce 845, one helluva printer imo, the first one in which everything has worked as advertised for me, (even Linux networking!) has a clogged f*cking print head. Probably needs replacement. 2 Epson cartridges is all it has ever seen. Unlike the others, the machine holds the print head and turns out, are notorious for this. After all these years, I finally find a printer that works and these motherf*ckers have to f*ck it up somehow.

Tweaker screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:32 PM
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
I've worked at HP for almost 24 years; several of which were in pen test and manufacturing. First I've heard of this. I've been out of the pen/printer world for several years but I know of no technical reason why this would be true. Can you document this assertion?
Well, that wouldnt surptise me at all, modern printers are made not ti print if 1 cartridge is "empty"... If i want to print in black i must have some yellow, cyan and magenta too.

And of course cartridges doesn't need that "chip" at all.
Printer can still estimate when the cartridge is empty and sugegst me to replace it "so i can have the best printing experience", but saving that info on the cartridge itself so it can't be used anymore even if there is still alot of ink left is something extremely annoying.

In addition, the cartridges that comes with a new printer have a really small capacity, otherwise buying a new printer would be cheaper than buying a new set of cartridges...

That's why i buy printers on sale and only buy cheap (super cheap) inc cartridges. I really hate their way to do this business, i'd rather pay more a printer and have a reasonable price for the oem ink and use it happily for years.

I believe printer drivers have some "easter egg" to make the printer work 'less well' and randomly act like a real bitch wen they detect cheap cartridges.
I can't prove it now, but my experience makes me think about that. It would be nice if somebody did some specific tests... I suggest to start with epson first
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote