Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Ground Bolt/Nut instead of Ground Bus

Are there any drawbacks to grounding all connections on a bike to a single bolt/nut via ring terminals? The bolt is not hooked up to the frame, but it is properly connected to the negative terminal of the battery and insulated.

Something like this, except on a free floating bolt/nut.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,496
Spaghetti...not on my battery.

You are probably better off establishing a ground post somewhere, bring one large wire from the battery that stays on permanently.I did that on my bike for all the accessories, HID relays etc...at the front. Saves on wire runs and spaghetti.

Boat shops/marine supply stores have insulated posts that you can mount anywhere.Maybe even Lordco, they have a good selection of wiring stuff.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Don't know what a free floating nut/bolt set up is but one good adequate size wire from the neg terminal to a multi terminal bus/ground plate and accessories grounded to the plate works fine if you keep up on the cleanliness and tightness of the connections. Just running a zillion grounds to the bat or one single terminal is a royal maint PITA.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Mike91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
As long as you make sure that nut stays tight and the surfaces between the rings stay clean, it shouldn't make any electrical difference.

One potential issue you will have is if that nut loosens slightly, you will have intermittent ground connections all over the place. Depending on what you have grounded there, the symptoms might be strange. That type of thing is less likely if you screwed individual ring terminals down into a brass block.

Another potential issue would be the fact that you have a few flat surfaces stacked. It wouldn't take much (corrosion from dissimilar metals?) to create a space between them, causing you to lose your ground. Using a bus doesn't completely solve this, but individual terminals (particularly with star washers to help dig in when you tighten them) will make it less likely to happen.

Both a non-issue if you keep that tight and clean.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
As long as you make sure that nut stays tight and the surfaces between the rings stay clean, it shouldn't make any electrical difference.

One potential issue you will have is if that nut loosens slightly, you will have intermittent ground connections all over the place. Depending on what you have grounded there, the symptoms might be strange. That type of thing is less likely if you screwed individual ring terminals down into a brass block.

Another potential issue would be the fact that you have a few flat surfaces stacked. It wouldn't take much (corrosion from dissimilar metals?) to create a space between them, causing you to lose your ground. Using a bus doesn't completely solve this, but individual terminals (particularly with star washers to help dig in when you tighten them) will make it less likely to happen.

Both a non-issue if you keep that tight and clean.
On the UP side, there's only ONE flakey ground to troubleshoot!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
If it,s unseen, what possible difference would it make? On my bike, I,m currently using a split bolt. Although I never use the frame as a neg. terminal, I do see to it that I always have one wire the connects to the frame.
(You never really know what shortcuts, po's have done to the bike.
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 671
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
If it,s unseen, what possible difference would it make? On my bike, I,m currently using a split bolt. Although I never use the frame as a neg. terminal, I do see to it that I always have one wire the connects to the frame.
(You never really know what shortcuts, po's have done to the bike.
There is a proper way of doing this so that connections don't get loose. Use a long stud and put the first two lugs on, then a SS star lock washer, a low profile (thin) SS nut, tighten the nut good, then 2 more lugs, another lock washer, another nut, etc. A bronze stud would be best if you were going to pull LARGE electric currents (like the starter), but SS or plated steel are fine for small loads.
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote