User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Badjuju OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Asking for tire advice....More of a poll, really

So, I recently bought an '09 FZ1. Very nice bike, super clean, only 4K miles with lots of aftermarket farkles. Problem is that 1) I'm just not feeling' the love for the bike, and this may/may not be related to the fact that 2) it's still wearing the OEM tires DOT coded mid-2008. Yeah, yeah--I K-N-O-W it desperately needs new shoes!

The problem??? If I put new tires on now and still don't like the bike, I'm not gonna get my money back out of the tires as far as resale goes. We all know this. Tires are one of those pieces of MC equipment that an owner/rider has VERY strong bias for. Some gotta have the latest super-sticky tires for max-trac, others want a dual compound sport tire that will handle great AND last longer AND have decent all-weather capability, some may just want to go with a budget tire and live with the limitations.

So....here's the rub, and the question:

1) Does it make perfect sense to put new tires on before the sale? Would "most" potential buyers want to have bike come with new tires, even though they aren't exactly what the buyer would have chosen to ride on if they had the choice? Or...

2) Should I sell the bike with the OEM tires and adjust the price down approx $300-400 to account for the need for new shoes?

What say the ADVR cognoscenti of the motorcycling world?

BTW, I should mention that the tires on the bike aren't so worn that they're showing cord, or even totally bald yet. Still have some tread depth both front and rear, but the front is triangulated and the rear is flat spotted in the middle and the handling is downright spooky due to the age of the tires. If I do mount new tires, I was gonna go with a 190/55 rear for better turn-in, instead of the 50 series tire that came stock. Yes?
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Put new tires on it and make sure the suspension is set for your weight. I'm betting once you do that you'll love the bike.

TONS of info on the FZ over at http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
i have a 01 with 93k miles, I blew the rear shock last month and found a low mileage used one to put back on it. let me tell you two clicks of preload in the wrong directions made the bike ride like shit, also when i got it the tires where in the same shape you described. I road it 2k more on them, before it started scaring me, put new tires on it and it made such a difference. Put new tires on it. don't go for the best, sticky track tires, don't go for the longest millage touring tires, go for a decent tire that wont break your pocket and has good reviews. set the suspension for you and give it a chance. and yes new tires will help the resale if you go that way. warn tires would make me try to make you lower your price.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote