Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #241
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
they all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
"Don't worry, they all do that."

Nope, not true. I brought tires in to my BMW dealer because I live on a budget. Paying $100 per tire less warranted the internet. My service quy said $35 a pop to change them out. Deal! BMW dealer in Seattle: I picked up a sliver in the middle of my tread on a 1,500 mile Anakee. They wouldn't patch the tire. but would sell me another Anakee, At a $100 premium. 3000 miles later a pick up a panel nail in the middle of the tread of the new Anakee. Middle of a 8,500 mile trip. My sister says call the Harley Dealer. They say bring the wheel and tire in. I did, and $38 later I was on two wheels again. They loved the story about the Seattle BMW dealer. Oh, same dealer that wanted to hit me for my bike and $2,500 for a trade that my bike retailed for $3000 more. Hmmm. Just bought the new bike from a NC dealer who gave me the new bike, hard bags, center stand and money back. some dealers just suck.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #242
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
bigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I had an aneurysm the size of my fist on my GS's front tire. The only nearby shop was a Harley-D one. I pulled in and looked at its tire inventory. It had one the right size but not the style I wanted but beggars can't be choosers so I said I'd like that tire and if I pulled the wheel off, could they change the tire for me?

No way can I do a tubeless tire change in the field.

They said their tire changer will not work on my BMW wheels. Harley folks are so nice....
Went to a harley custom shop to get tires for my GS that I really needed. They had great prices. The service guy said he would not change the tires out even if I handed him the wheels. He did not want a BMW parked next to his shop. So, I told the salesman he just lost a sale. rode 50 miles and found a place that would work on BMW wheels. We really need to vote with our feet more often. I did tell the service quy: " so if you come in the emergency room with a Harley shirt on, I just say I do not work on that model" such bigoted bull shit.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #243
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
You should always give the customer what he wants - with a smile!

"I'm sorry to hear that motorcycling is not working out for you. You seemed quite sure when you picked the bike up on Saturday. Perhaps you should consider signing up for some training"

"OK you are certain you want to return the bike? No problem! With only 120 miles on the clock, perhaps we can re-sell it as a demo, which means we can give you $XXXX (insert reasonable buy-back price here) for it - unless you would like us to put it on consignment for you? We can possibly find a buyer for your used gear as well, although you might find it easiest to sell it on eBay or something like that."

You have given him what he wants and made it clear that you will not simply be unwinding the deal and accepting a used bike on the showroom floor
California - you sign the papers and it's yours, no cooling off period. Nice of the dealership to even talk to the guy afterwards. I think the law is a good idea for dealerships so this kind of nonsense can be prevented, it's not like you can put the bike back in its original packaging and stick it back on the shelf.....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #244
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The wife's the problem. She probly returns half of the shit she buys, and thinks it works for everything. Even legal contracts. And she's probly holding out on the old man until he takes it back........
Of course, not until she has shown them off for a few days and solicits her friends' opinions
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #245
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
California - you sign the papers and it's yours, no cooling off period. Nice of the dealership to even talk to the guy afterwards. I think the law is a good idea for dealerships so this kind of nonsense can be prevented, it's not like you can put the bike back in its original packaging and stick it back on the shelf.....
The law is put in place in order to discourage high pressure sales tactics.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #246
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
The law is put in place in order to discourage high pressure sales tactics.
And unless there are actual threats, physical coercion, or drugs involved the people that fall for that shit deserve what they get.

Ragnar Redbeard FTW.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #247
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
And unless there are actual threats, physical coercion, or drugs involved the people that fall for that shit deserve what they get.

Ragnar Redbeard FTW.
Maybe so, but the country is a better place without the tactics. See, this way I won't have to 'resist' or 'put up with' high pressure sales tactics. Because it wouldn't exist.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #248
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,559
Quote:

Ragnar Redbeard FTW.

Right, why protect stupid against themselves?

IMHO, if you are dumb enough to buy a rocket you can't possibly ride, too bad, Darwin is your friend!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #249
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Maybe so, but the country is a better place without the tactics. See, this way I won't have to 'resist' or 'put up with' high pressure sales tactics. Because it wouldn't exist.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

It's easy enough to just turn around and walk away.

If the legislature in my state ever tried to pass one of those laws I would definitely actively oppose it.

derek

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #250
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:

Ragnar Redbeard FTW.
Quote:
Those laws merely give SOME people an opportunity to back out of a bad deal. I doubt they do much to discourage the high pressure sales tactics. "Buyer's remorse" is usually not a consequence of sales tactics anyway - and that appears to be so in this case. The buyer made his decision with plenty of opportunity for review, reflection and considered thought. Whatever triggered his later regret was not due to any fault on the part of the dealer.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #251
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 121
Had a BMW and after some time decided I wanted another model, a new one. So back to the dealer and talked about a trade in. He made me an offer which was surprisingly low. So an hour riding to the next dealer proofed valuable as I got 4k more on the trade in.

So on the tire repair, BMW as a company says it is unsafe to repair a tire and forbids their dealers to fix them. My wife had a flat in Norway this summer in the middle of nowhere and we plugged it, we forgot all about it, so 6k km later it still sits there.

Riding in Wisconsin we noticed one evening that the rear tire was completely bare to the canvas. We found only a Suzuki dealer in town so we called them and asked if they would have so and so tire for a BMW. No problem, come by in an hour and they fixed it.

About dealerships in general, sometimes they seem to forget that the first bike or car is sold in the showroom, the others are sold in the maintenance and service departements.

I had a very nasty BMW GSA 2007, it went back after 500 km, 1500 km and 3000 km with mechanical issues. Eventually in the first 20k km it was 8 times in the shop. The salesmanager came up to me as I was picking it up for the last time and said, "we feel so sorry for you, we want to buy it back" and he did me an offer I couldn't refuse. The wife was with me and said immediately "SELL" and get the new 2009 model.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #252
simonlow
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Dealer - "Yeah...we've got that tube in stock, come on down"

.....30 minute drive later....

Dealer - "well, its not exactly what you asked for on the phone, but it'll stretch".

I called the local KTM dealer, so see if they could mount some tires I had purchased, as I was going to be out of town on business, and would not have time.

Me - "Hello....can you mount a couple of tires for me? I'll pull the wheels off the bike, and drop them by."

Dealer - "Did you buy the tires from me?"

Me - "Um, no I did not....I ordered them on the internet a while back when they were on sale"

Dealer - "I don't want your business"

I have not set foot in the local KTM dealer's shop in the 5 years since that conversation took place.

Both of these are true conversations I have had...

That is hardcore. I thought it was only the KTM shop in South Africa [JHB] that has this type of attitude! They stink!
simonlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #253
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlow View Post
That is hardcore. I thought it was only the KTM shop in South Africa [JHB] that has this type of attitude! They stink!
Like gun shops, sometimes bike shops are their own worst enemies.

derek

Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #254
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 734
GM Dealer

Best one i had told to me was at a Chevy dealer.

Took my tahoe in because it was running lean ... after inspection they informed me, it was because i hadn't replaced the battery with a Genuine GM Battery!!

Unfortunately this is a true story!
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #255
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I have a love/hate relationship with most dealers . I say most but not all. I have 2 dealers that stick out well above most dealers .

While on the road in el paso texas ive had a dealer pull a coil off a new vehicle because he didnt have one in stock after i had called ahead first ..
i Gave hin a huge tip ..

Our local Apex bike shop Treats me well and find stuff like tires as good or better than most internet prices on my K60's.
i had bought a tourmaster jacket week before and started to fail right away ..took it in and right away they wanted to make it right even had the tourmaster rep look at it .. tried to swap it for another but it wasnt made anymore and none in my fat gut size ..

so they put my initail payment towards a better jacket and gave a steep discount on top .. In reality i came out with a much better Teknic jacket ..

But still makes me mad when they dont keep common service parts in stock on bikes they have on thier floors ...
Manufatures would kick part houses butts if they charged a realistic price 350 bucks for a KLR starter ... how many KLRS have been made last 30 yrs ? i think they have made enough to bring price down a bit ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote