Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #256
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I took a bike to a shop for tires. The service man told me he had them, but they were in a warehouse 20 miles away and he could have them here today if I wanted to pay for a driver to fetch them. But then he told me he had other parts to pick up and he'd grab the tires while he was there. When I told him id have to drop off the hike and wait, he gave me a loaner bike. I did get tires for cost, cheaper than I could buy them online. Next time I know where to go for tires.

Same place, I bought exhaust gaskets and they offered to stick them in an envelope an mail them to me so I don't have to go pick them up.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #257
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
So if I buy an F-150, leave it in 4H and disconnect the rear driveshaft is it FWD?

I had to do that once on my Scout for a month or so. Gotta make sure the hubs stay tight, and keep a tight grip on the wheel.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #258
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,048
I took my Superduke to my local dealer to get the water pump seals done.
Had all the symptoms, simple diagnosis and fix when you have the stuff to do it.

They had it a week, when I went to pick it up, expecting it to be repaired. They had done nothing to it.
Said it wasn't leaking, it was fine. That I was losing coolant because the bike was parked a couple weeks at a time and it was evaporating.

But it only "evaporated" when I was riding. At the rate of about a pint every 200 miles.

Took it to an inmate, who is a KTM tech and he replaced the seals.
Seals were shot. And my coolant no longer evaporates while riding.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #259
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I am really surprised how many shops won't do X brand tire swap. At my shop, we will spoon on anything. I did an ultralight airplane wheel last week. Money is money.

Ok, so we don't do car/truck tires because the machines are not setup for them anymore. But everything else is a go.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #260
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I get that a MC dealer's cost on tires is a bit higher because thay have to hold a stock - and some will not be fast moving. Still, one of my local dealers got to know me and offered me a "deal" on a set of Tourances for my GS. They were going to order the tires for me so I eagerly waited while the parts guy figured the cost, including my big disount. It was going to work out somewhere upwards of $400, mounted. At that time, I could buy a pair of tires on the internet for $200 and get them mounted at an independent shop for $30. Needless to say, I turned down the offer. I liked the shop and would have been happy to let them make $50 off me - but $200+ - No F'ing Way!

I remember back in the late 80's driving my rusty old Triumph (car) to an Audi delaership looking at a late model Quattro turbo. The salesmen wouldn't even talk to me and weren't interested even when I said what I was looking for. Went back a few weeks later in the sports car I bought instead of the Audi. When they saw me pull up and look over a quattro, they were falling over themselves trying to get to me first. I got a test ride in the Sales Manager's personal demo. I and thrashed the hell out of that car for about thirty miles: Jumps, four wheel drifts and bouncing off the rev limiter, etc. When we pulled up back at the dealership, I told them that I didn't want it and why. The salesman who had been white-knuckled, digging his nails into the dash for the last twenty minutes or so was quite pragmatic, and said "Well I guess we asked for that one, didn't we!"
I seen it happen, don't you have a friend named Ferris?

Some of the stories in this thread are so obviously an exaggeration that it is not even funny, it is just sad.

Is this you?

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #261
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Money is money.
+1

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #262
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The wife's the problem. She probly returns half of the shit she buys, and thinks it works for everything. Even legal contracts. And she's probly holding out on the old man until he takes it back........
At the risk of sounding like a sexist ****,,,

I doubt that's the case in this instance, but I am appalled by how many otherwise honest and decent women feel that it is 100% morally acceptable to return things that have nothing wrong with them, simply because they have capriciously decided they don't want them, even when it means a small independent store taking a hit. Whether or not the store is prepared to take it is neither here nor there: If something was as described and didn't have any defects, I couldn't return something I shouldn't have bought. At worst, I might ask a vehicle dealer to make an offer to buy something back, but if it was lower than I was prepared to accept, I wouldn't think any worse of them. I think the reason I wouldn't do it is because I know full well that if I was running a shop, I'd be fuming to accept returns for this reason (even if I put on a polite face because it made good business sense to do so).

It's strange as women are often a lot worse at getting value out of stores (read: more reluctant to haggle down below the list price on vehicles, etc) when buying goods. Yet they seem really good (or just have fewer qualms about) returning things they bought on a whim and then decided they didn't like the colour of.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #263
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,133
A good return policy is cheap advertisement.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #264
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
My own preference would be : AWD for full-time drive to all wheels; and 4WD for all those part-time 4WD's and "on-demand" 4WD's.
I suspect that the use of the term 4WD is going in full circle, and is coming back towards "looking big and tough and high ground-clearince" . . . even when the vehicle is just a 2WD that is faking it.
That'd be my definitions.
4x4/4WD should mean driver-switchable between at least two out of: front/rear/four wheel.
AWD should mean full-time drive to all wheels, even if the computer sometimes shifts the balance of power between these to varying degrees for traction control/performance purposes.

As to the non-petrol head's definition: 4WD is definitely used by many people to mean any big 4x4 looking vehicle, irrespective of how drive is delivered. I've also heard some people use the term "2 by 2" and "2 plus 2" to refer to this style of vehicle, which is at least more honest, even if it sounds bloody ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #265
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
A good return policy is cheap advertisement.
What about a woman putting on her best suit to look like she has more money than she does so she'll be taken serious, buying a one-off, hand made £3000 dress on her credit card, that she has no intention, nor means of keeping wearing it for one night for a gala function and then returning it the next day? What about the second one who does that with the same dress, or the third? Pretty soon, you've got a rather second hand looking garment, not to mention the cost of the hours of the shop staff's time and the expensive rented shop floor space to display it, for no return on your investment.

I have a friend who has a reasonable degree of success making designer handbags that are sold through boutique stores in London. I shudder to think how many are 'sold' (read: loaned, free of charge) the way I outline above. It doesn't matter whether you personally want to allow this, you pretty much have to, because you'd alienate your market if you didn't allow returns this way. I'm just questioning why this culture exists/is tolerated within the market as a whole.

Whilst the face price of the bags might seem obscene to many, knowing the cost of materials, sheer number of man hours spent to design and make them and how relatively little she gets to take home, I don't think they're 'overpriced' or that 'she deserves it, if she thinks she can sell bags at those prices'.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #266
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
I am really surprised how many shops won't do X brand tire swap. At my shop, we will spoon on anything. I did an ultralight airplane wheel last week. Money is money.

Ok, so we don't do car/truck tires because the machines are not setup for them anymore. But everything else is a go.

Man, I was faced with this a coupla years back - had a low-pressure tire for my Cat-Trax (dolly for moving a sailing catamaran) that was similar to an ATV tire. Managed to stupidly puncture one (don't ask...) and purchased a replacement tire, de-mounted the wheel and took them to the local Suzuki dealership where I've shopped for 20+ years....only to get 50 Questions; name, address, phone number, vehicle type, purchase history.... at which point I mentioned that I wasn't applying for a JOB there, I just wanted a tire mounted - only to get a bunch of lip from the "Service" writer (and I use that term loosely).

Never. Been. Back.

Tire really wasn't that hard to mount anyway, suppose they did me a favor by inspiring me to DIY.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #267
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
Best one i had told to me was at a Chevy dealer.

Took my tahoe in because it was running lean ... after inspection they informed me, it was because i hadn't replaced the battery with a Genuine GM Battery!!

Unfortunately this is a true story!
That is as bad as BMW blaming shifting problems on improper footwear, and wanting you to wear only BMW Boots. I ask, do you have 10EEEE. Well, then how am I supposed to ride it.

Although I have seen high ESR batteries cause issues.

I would tell them replace the battery, and if that does not fix it I am not paying.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #268
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Man, I was faced with this a coupla years back - had a low-pressure tire for my Cat-Trax (dolly for moving a sailing catamaran) that was similar to an ATV tire. Managed to stupidly puncture one (don't ask...) and purchased a replacement tire, de-mounted the wheel and took them to the local Suzuki dealership where I've shopped for 20+ years....only to get 50 Questions; name, address, phone number, vehicle type, purchase history.... at which point I mentioned that I wasn't applying for a JOB there, I just wanted a tire mounted - only to get a bunch of lip from the "Service" writer (and I use that term loosely).

Never. Been. Back.

Tire really wasn't that hard to mount anyway, suppose they did me a favor by inspiring me to DIY.

I can't get our service write to write them up half the time. Some times I will get a little tag with and name and phone number, and that's it. Most of the time, it's a tire and a tube sitting next to the tire machine. Not hard to figure out what needs to happen, but if something is wrong, I have to wait for the owner to come back before anything can be done.
I have lots of fond (not) memories of the strange things I have had to spoon on.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #269
brian.ict
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
The last dealer I bought from said exactly what I wanted to hear:

"I'll trade you this bike for that bike plus $100 for two new tires."

So I traded my Versys for a Suzuki C50 at Bobz Bikes in Kingman, Kan.

Came back in a few days and they put the new tires on, changed the oil and put new brake shoes on, all as part of their normal service when they sell a bike.

It was awesome.
brian.ict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #270
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,048
Years ago I worked at a Ford dealership.
A guy came in a bought an F250, haggled price and so on.
Wanted to make sure it would tow his camper. Yep, sure will, and no problem he bought the truck.

Think it was about $28K at the time.

A week later it is parked at the dealer, with about 500 miles on it. Says he is done with it

What do you mean, it there something wrong with it?
Nope, just done with it.

He took a trip, towing his camper and then thought he could bring it back.
I think it sat two weeks, and the dealer told him to come get his truck or they were gonna charge him storage on it.

I know he came and got it, dunno what happened after that.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote