Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #271
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Bullshit.

You have a sales department, a parts department, and a service department.

The service department makes money on every tire it mounts, whether it's bought in the parts department, or carried in.

Turning away carry-in tire mounting is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Oh, and I've worked in dealerships, too.
My family is in the car biz and I agree with this. Each dept. needs to hold it's own and make $. The correct answer from the dealer should have been, sure the carry in tire price is X $ to mount. thanks for the business. just so you know in the future, if you buy tires from us too it's X discounted/free...

The whole quote about being a liability is bogus too. that's a nice way of say no. why is it then not a liability for the independent guy too? booth shops need and carry insurance.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #272
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,520
I see no liability for mounting a new tire, I wouldn't mount a used, worn tire for someone.
But turning away a potential customer over some bullshit like "we only mount tires on Harleys" is just insuring that they will never darken your door again.
Even if you sell what they want, they probably will just go somewhere else.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #273
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I seen it happen, don't you have a friend named Ferris?

Some of the stories in this thread are so obviously an exaggeration that it is not even funny, it is just sad.
Not as exaggerated as you think in this case. Crass move on my part (I wouldn't do it today) but true.

Quote:
Is this you?
When I was around 20, I used to drive at 9/10 most of the time. I knew every hump-backed bridge and railway crossing within 20 miles of home and exactly how fast you had to go to catch some air. Taking a nice-handling high performance car to the edge, on roads I knew like the back of my hand, wasn't difficult at all.

A few times it didn't work out so well but I always seemed to get lucky. Came close to flipping a car over its nose once but the worst damage sustained was dented oil pans and ripping the bottom out of a few radiators.

There's a steep railroad crossing right near my current house. About four years ago, a car-load of kids doing the same thing, lost control upon landing, hit a tree and all died. Doesn't seem like so much fun any more.

On topic: Local VW dealer recently told me they would charge $75 to reset the airbag error code on my daughters car after I had repaired a broken seatbelt switch. Bought the code reader tool for $12 and my daughter did it herself in about 60 seconds - No chance we'll be taking the car to that dealer for any servicing.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:50 PM
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #274
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,148
The Harley dealer thing is strange sometimes...

A buddy and I were on the way to a vintage Suzuki rally in Wisconsin. On the other side of Chicago, we noticed a slight issue with his brand new front tire (see below).

So we headed to the large Harley dealer we could see in the distance -- I knew there were several HD models that used this size tire, and figured they would have one in stock.

At first, the service writer's only answer when we inquired about a 100/90-19 or MM90-19 front tire was "we don't have any Suzuki tires". Mmkay.

We worked through this issue, but it took a bit, and she was still quite skeptical.

Then it was "we don't have any way to take the wheel off". Fair enough, if you have purged your shoppe of EVERYTHING metric. All it takes is two wrenches, and we explained that we were equipped to do this in the parking lot and bring in the wheel. Tubeless cast wheel. Easy as pie.

Then the service writer came up with "but our machine only works on Harley wheels". Do any Harleys use 19" wheels? Yes? Does your machine need to go through the center? No? Then your machine will work fine. Just clooooose your eyes and pretend it's a Harley wheel... hush, now. It'll be over in a minute and the big bad Suzuki will be gone soon.

And then FINALLY, after 30 minutes of pointless ignorant dicking around with the world's dumbest service writer, we find that there's only one tire that size in the shop, and it belongs to a customer who's having it installed later that day.
Well, crap. Why couldn't you &^%$$#@!! SAY so in the FIRST PLACE????

The strange part is that once we all finally agreed we were at an impasse, she very kindly hauled out the telephone book, called a Suzuki dealer in the nearby podunk, determined that they had the correct tire in stock (no Suzuki brand tires for some reason...), then provided us with detailed directions.

Very strange mix of idiocy and excellent service. She got rid of us, anyway.

Oh, and the directions were wrong.

Here's the defective tire -- a rather expensive Dunlop Elite III with 80 miles on it. Yes, the pressure was fine. No, nothing was rubbing, not even close. Yes, there were chunks missing like this all the way around. Normally this is long-lasting top-of-the-line rubber for vintage steeds. Dunlop and Motorcycle Superstore refused to do anything unless we ship them the defective tire... which we had no way to take with us. Bastards.

"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:03 PM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #275
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
On topic: Local VW dealer recently told me they would charge $75 to reset the airbag error code on my daughters car after I had repaired a broken seatbelt switch. Bought the code reader tool for $12 and my daughter did it herself in about 60 seconds - No chance we'll be taking the car to that dealer for any servicing.

God, don't get me started about VW dealers - called recently to ask what they charge for a basic rear-brake service; "About $ 400.00" .... "Surely you jest..." - again, they did me a favor, OE pads are $ 50 RETAIL, the caliper-tool 15 bucks, job took under 40 minutes total - yea, that's four-hundred bucks worth....
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #276
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
I went to the local Yamaha service department to purchase a valve cap. When I walked through the door they did not instantly greet me and give me cappuccino and offer me a foot massage. I fell to the floor and flailed my legs and arms about wildly and held my breath until they gave me a hug. I told them they had lost a customer for life!!!!!!!!!!!! They then told me I could ride any bike in the showroom if I would just spend my 5 cents on the valve cap I had intended to purchase. I said okay and took out a gsxr 1000 which I proceeded to do a burnout in the showroom, cause a black hole to appear and then I transported back in time 3 million years where I fought off dinosaurs. Once I defeated them I was able to transport back to the present where I jumped the grand canyon, stopped for lunch then brought the bike back. The dealership thanked me and then I threw the keys at them and told them to go to hell.

The nerve of them. True story.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #277
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
I went to the local Yamaha service department to purchase a valve cap. When I walked through the door they did not instantly greet me and give me cappuccino and offer me a foot massage. I fell to the floor and flailed my legs and arms about wildly and held my breath until they gave me a hug. I told them they had lost a customer for life!!!!!!!!!!!! They then told me I could ride any bike in the showroom if I would just spend my 5 cents on the valve cap I had intended to purchase. I said okay and took out a gsxr 1000 which I proceeded to do a burnout in the showroom, cause a black hole to appear and then I transported back in time 3 million years where I fought off dinosaurs. Once I defeated them I was able to transport back to the present where I jumped the grand canyon, stopped for lunch then brought the bike back. The dealership thanked me and then I threw the keys at them and told them to go to hell.

Piss off, troll.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #278
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:

epic
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #279
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Quote:
transported back in time 3 million years where I fought off dinosaurs.
I call BS!

No way you ran into dinosaurs only 3 million years ago.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #280
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,247
Howdy All,

Those that know me will tell you that I am fashionably challenged, I usually look like and dress like a bum, Romeo slip on shoes, well worn, sweat pants and a tee shirt usually with something motorcycle related on it and an old western type hat of some sort. I have never really cared what I look like I spend my time and money on trucks, guns, bikes and other toys, my money spends just as well if I am in a suit or dressed the way I do at least thats my way of looking at things.

Lets go back to August of 2003, I had done my research and was in the market for brand new Dodge one ton dually pickup truck to haul my HUGE camper. I knew what I wanted, knew what it would cost, had the cash in the bank to pay for it. So I go down to the nearest Dodge dealer, walk into the dealership, find a salesman who is holding up the water fountain he's leaning against and tell him I am here to buy a truck in fact I want the Garnet Red one sitting in the front row of the lot. This guy looks at me, and tells me in a voice load enough to be heard by a few other folks nearby that "You can't afford that truck and I am not going to waste any time talking to you." No problem I say, could I have one of your cards please. He hands me a card, laughs and walks away.

I go a few miles down the road to the next dealership, they have the same truck, I go into the dealership and as I am walking through the door I am greeted by a salesman who smiles and says "What can I help you with today".

Long story short, I buy the truck at a very good price even had more options then what I was in the market for. When the deal was done I asked for this salesman's card, shook his hand and told the wife she would be driving the car home as I was going to take the truck. I told my wife that I would be a few minutes late as I was going to stop off at the dealership I had first tried to do business with. She just smiled as she knew what was going to happen.

So I go back to the original dealer, park my brand new truck right up in front of the show room. Walked past the salesman who didn't want to talk to me, asked to talk to the dealership sales manager, told my story to the sales manger, showed him the card of the salesman who didn't have time to talk to me. The sales manager asked me to take a short walk with him, he walked over to the guy who insulted me, in a voice loud enough to be heard by all the folks standing in the show room fired this asshole and explained why. I couldn't help rubbing a bit of salt into this jerks wound, I handed his card back to him and told him I had better things to do then waste my time with him like drive my new truck home. Yes, I am a vengeful bastard at times.

Here's the truck, still have it, still running strong, drags my 38 foot toy hauler all over the western part of the country.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #281
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,559
When I sold Lincolns 25 years ago, I used to love your type of customer.

Some old dirty Mercury would roll up into the lot. No other salesman would want to screw with the bumpkin farmers.

I'd show 'em a couple of Towncars, go for a test ride, then watch them pull out hundred dollar bills to pay for the new Towncar.

It was great!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #282
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,698
I really wanted a Land Rover Defender 90, maybe 15 or 20 years ago now. Went to a LR dealer ready to buy and I said I'd like to test drive the green one. Salesman looked me up and down and told me they don't allow test drives. I asked him how they sell them if they don't let people drive them first and he just smiled and said they sell plenty of them. I told him on my way out he just lost a sale but he didn't seem to care. He just nodded and said sorry with a condescending smile. I called about a week later and told the person answering the phone I was interested in a D90 and would like to drive one. Guy said no problem.

I looked at Jeep Wranglers after that, then proceeded to spend way too much money building it just the way I wanted.

I'm sure salesmen get asked for test drives and the like all the time by people not serious about buying a vehicle, but it really pissed me off at the time.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #283
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
On a side note that I believe is somewhat related...I work in public safety in a part of the country known for high-zoot medical and technology research, trust-funders, university professors, etc. and we just never know or really care who or what the status of someone is that we serve.

I kind of dress like an urban punk, look younger than I am, but have money to spend sometimes and care deeply about any big dollar purchase I'm going to make... Last year I walked into a BMW dealership in Denver, had a great/comfortable experience, was treated well and walked out with a $25k moto... I know that customers shouldn't have to be pandered to, per se, but you really can't judge the ole book by its cover these days... If these salespeople want to be in the business of guessing things about their customers, maybe they should join the circus and guess weights or something...

The whole sale experience bothers me, but if the feeling is good and confidence is high, I'm usually game. Thanks to those men and women out there who care about their product, take care of their customers and earn our business with integrity and service.
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #284
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,520
Seen what Rocker was talking about a couple times.

Used 2-3 year old BMW convertible on the lot, lots of people looked at it. But there it sat.
Think it was a 318, maybe 325.

Young girl, probably 19 or 20 stops and looks at it. Driving an old beat Crown Vic, gets someone to let her drive it. Says her dad and her will be back Saturday to get it
Sure ya will.

9 am Saturday, they rolled in. He drove the car, looked it over real well and bought it.
Another time a farmer comes in, driving a late 70s F150.
Looks at truck on the showroom floor, says he wants to drive it.

Sales manager balks, offers one that is outside for a test drive. Nope, not interested. Wants to drive the one inside.
"But it's inside sir"
"How did it get in here, did ya build the building around it?"
"No, we pulled it in those doors."
"Well swing them open and pull it out"

Move 2 other cars, get the truck outside. Guy takes about a 45 minute test drive, comes back and writes a check for the truck.
He didn't haggle, wrote a check for what he figured it was worth and it must have been enough because he picked it up the next day.

Sales is probably the last job where you want to read a book by it's cover.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #285
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
With all these horror stories, I'm starting to think I could make some serious money opening up a dealership. I've worked sales with a "take every deal" policy for quite awhile.

Now if I can find a dealer website with stupid stuff customers say, lol...
I met and interviewed a friend of a friend about his family's truck curtain business as part of a final year management unit in my engineering degree.

They started about 35 years ago making pool liners - a completely different product for a completely different market - but discovered that their equipment and expertise was readily transferable to the new and growing market for truck curtains. By the time I met them 20 years ago, the company dominated the market and still does.

My contact made the observation that "its really very easy to make money in business, all you have to do is to do everything right."

He wasn't being flippant; he was saying that you had to understand your business and know what was right and do it right. Even just one truck curtain cut wrong or one customer disappointed and lost to a competitor is an expensive loss for the business.

You can pretend that pissing off one motorcyclist over a $50 part or fitting a tyre is trivial, but if you do it will become an attitude and a habit and it will add up.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote