Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #496
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Having not bought a new bike in many years, I purchased two from the same dealer 150 miles away over five years time. Did not quibble over price; yes it could have been a few bucks lower, but I got a fair deal including accessories, on both occasions. I had a warranty claim on the newest bike, which was filed with the manufacturer on the spot, and covered 100%. I'm still buying parts there cheaper than most on-line suppliers; it just takes longer to get them (shipped with his biweekly stock order).

Got a good dealer? Stay with them!
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #497
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
Getting up and walking away and finding it cheaper elsewhere was your right to do. However, if you were selling something and felt that you would be able to sell it for what you were asking, would you sell it for less than you wanted to someone who offered a lower price? I wouldn't.
If I had a one-of-a-kind item, I guess not.

If I had KLR's to sell, and had a customer walk outside the store for $200 ... yeah, I just might sell it to him if I could make money. I might offer a package deal for it and accessories or something. But I wouldn't go demanding over MSRP for a KLR650 like I would a McLaren automobile.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #498
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
I step in and make a comment about being a repeat customer. The salesman says "Who is buying this bike? You or her?" Turns out neither of us bought the bike...
Goddamn decorative iron fence guy did a shitty job at my elderly mother's house a few years ago, and I was there for the final walk-through.

I called him on it and asked him to fix the issues if he wanted his final payment.

He responded with that, "who am I trying to please? Her or you?" Bullshit...

I about blew a gasket. Yes, he fixed the issues. Fucker.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #499
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I applaud you for trying to talk some sense in the midst of this self righteous circle jerk thread populated by the easily ruffled and inexperienced wheeler dealer wannabes.

You're crazy. But I respect this kind of crazy.
It wasn't that the dealer was unwilling to drop their asking price, it was the attitude of the salesman. A good salesman would have got the sale and had the customer happy to pay the full asking price. Of course, there are SOME people who are never happy unless they've haggled the price down some. Again, a good salesman will still have the customer leave understanding the situation and reasonably happy even if the two could not agree on a price to make the sale.

Still, MSRP already has a good profit margin built in. Refusing to sell a commonly available bike, that they could probably have replaced on the showroom floor in short order, for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks seems greedy to me.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #500
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Im another Berts mega mall hater. Ill never go back to them. Only bought one bike from them, in 07, but Ive been their a few times for parts and service. The parts guys are rude and act like youre wasting their time. Service are the same way, plus theyre not interested in keeping to any kind of a time table unless youre bring some squid bike. Bought my KLR used, dropped it off their for a major service and just a checking over, when I got it back I found so much shit that needed to be fixed on it that basically I paid $400 for an oil change, instead of a 36000 mile service.

Temple City Powersports on the other hand, is an awesome place! Great techs back there. Ive gone their for tires and a couple of small repairs. Have brought my own tires in there on several occasions and they had no problems mounting them for me. For small things, theyre also real good about just getting it done. Had a grip that twisted on my way home from work. It was starting to irritate me so I stopped in, told them what was up, they had one of their techs come out real quick put some glue on it and sent me on my way. No charge. I highly recommend them. Not a huge dealer or shop, but a damn good one.
I completely agree. The techs there are great and won't give you crap if you only need a tire mounted or something, and the sales people there don't hawk over you like they do at Berts. While waiting for my tire to be done. I was looking at some of the new Wee Stroms and literally within 10 seconds a dealer walks over to me and starts talking about their easy financing. I didn't sit my ass down on it yet, and their trying to rape me with one of their deals

On a side note, have you ever been to the TCPS bike nights. Every month they have free food, soda, raffle giveaways (nothing fancy, mind you) and really relaxed, non-branded atmosphere. I have never been to any dealership, big or small, that has that.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #501
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
It wasn't that the dealer was unwilling to drop their asking price, it was the attitude of the salesman. A good salesman would have got the sale and had the customer happy to pay the full asking price. Of course, there are SOME people who are never happy unless they've haggled the price down some. Again, a good salesman will still have the customer leave understanding the situation and reasonably happy even if the two could not agree on a price to make the sale.

Still, MSRP already has a good profit margin built in. Refusing to sell a commonly available bike, that they could probably have replaced on the showroom floor in short order, for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks seems greedy to me.
It's not that I don't get what you mean. It's that I don't agree with you.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #502
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
Having not bought a new bike in many years, I purchased two from the same dealer 150 miles away over five years time. Did not quibble over price; yes it could have been a few bucks lower, but I got a fair deal including accessories, on both occasions. I had a warranty claim on the newest bike, which was filed with the manufacturer on the spot, and covered 100%. I'm still buying parts there cheaper than most on-line suppliers; it just takes longer to get them (shipped with his biweekly stock order).

Got a good dealer? Stay with them!
Yep. ^ This right here.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #503
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep. ^ This right here.

So we should just take whatever the dealer offers and be grateful they are willing to take our money?

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #504
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
So we should just take whatever the dealer offers and be grateful they are willing to take our money?

No, but he is not on here crying about being butt hurt.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #505
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
some people take the buying process way to personal.

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #506
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Eek

Finally read the entire thread and want to add my own experience of 'things dealers say':

"oh, your scooter will run fine, it doesnt actually need an air filter... You can find the air filter that was in the air box under your seat in the luggage compartment, covered in oil."

Needless to say they never got any of my custom ever again.
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #507
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
When I was buying my Moto Guzzi, I was giving the dealer my information and he looks at my last name and asks if I am related to Ann. Yep she is my sister. She bought a Moto Guzzi from him about 4 years before. My name is a bit unusual but that was good customer service.
Then, later in our conversation he finds out that I install Furnaces. Can I come and look at his? No Problem. I sold a furnace to him. He still remembers the furnace when I come in...
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #508
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Called the local Kawasaki dealership:

Hey do you have any ninja 1000's in stock?

Ninja 1000? You mean a zx10?

No, a ninja 1000.

You mean a zx10, yeah we have a couple of them.

Ok thanks.

I call back 1 week later, was told:

you want a zx10

Okay thanks I will pick it up tomorrow.

I then call a dealership 163 miles away and pay a deposit on the mythical ninja 1000 in the color I want and picked it up today.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #509
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,032
"There's nothing wrong with your bike."

.....Some months later....

"We put your cams back into time, we have not charged for that, it was our mistake."

.....three weeks later....

"We don't have any idea what is wrong with it. it's fine."

....Three days later.......

"Your bike is ready. It was overfilled with oil. Um, please don't hate us?"
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #510
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
"There's nothing wrong with your bike."

.....Some months later....

"We put your cams back into time, we have not charged for that, it was our mistake."

.....three weeks later....

"We don't have any idea what is wrong with it. it's fine."

....Three days later.......

"Your bike is ready. It was overfilled with oil. Um, please don't hate us?"
I wouldn't think you're the type to trust a dealer with your bike
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote