Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #121
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I can get a pile of O rings at Napa for $55.
I can, too, but they won't fit. The fella at NAPA said he didn't have anything that would work; too big or too small. He's helped me with a few other projects on my bike, always treating me fairly, so I'm inclined to trust the guy.

As an A&P (airframe & power-plant) mechanic once told me: if it's a motorcycle part, they move the decimal in the price once to the right. If it's an aircraft part, they swap the decimal for a comma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Better yet, go to a bearing supply place like Bearing Service. You'll be able to specify the compound. Standard is usually Buna-N, but if it's going to be in contact with fuel, use Viton. I needed a fuel pump o-ring for the Ducati. List at Ducati was $65. Got it locally for 2 bucks.
Sonofa That's a hell of a deal! I'm going to check for a shop like that here in town.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #122
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,116
Yep, I went through my bike's parts list for "o-ring" and spec'd an equivalent from McMaster.

$2/O-ring from the dealer, or $5/50-pack from McM... $80 later I won't have to spend another dime on an o-ring for the rest of the time I own the bike.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #123
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Sonofa That's a hell of a deal! I'm going to check for a shop like that here in town.
Lots of places on-line that sell O-rings. Harbor Freight does a box of assorted sizes for $5-$12 which might have what you want in it. Any good industrial or hydraulic supplier will probably have a good assortment too. You might have to buy a bag to get one, but it will probably still be cheaper.

SnowMule, that is an elegant solution to the O-ring sourcing and storage issue.

I needed a very small "special" seal for the ABS unit on my GTS. I was told they were completely unobtainable at any price, although I could buy the entire ABS unit for $1800. Examination with a lens revealed the seal to be an X-ring. A bag of fifty in a size expected to be very close cost me about ten bucks, including shipping.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #124
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
My buddy owns a Victory dealership, but he also services Harley Davidson because he's one of those guys who has been around bikes since the 40's. He told me the only reason he has stayed in business all of these years (over 30) is because of service on the bikes. He told me he did not make that much money on bike sales and made it all up in accessories, parts, and mainly the service costs (repairs, oil changes, etc.). It was also his way of poking fun at Harley, even though he owns like 10 of them

As for dealer parts, I'm with many others. I always hear retailers lamenting that nobody wants to buy anything from a brick and mortar anymore. Why? Mainly it's because it's cheaper online. But the other reason is what people have already mentioned, they never seem to have what you want. I understand it's difficult for a smaller store to carry everything, I get it. But it also doesn't help if you don't have a decent selection of items, sizes, colors, etc. I'm anticipating being able to get a bike again in a month or so and have been shopping for gear. Every place I go either doesn't have much of anything besides black leather or doesn't have what I call "real people sizes" (i.e. every non black leather jacket is a small, extra small, boots are size 5, etc.). Even the dealers that I've been going to have next to nothing as far as gear or all they carry is their bike's branded gear (i.e. BMW, Harley, etc.) or carry one manufacturer's helmet (Shoei, etc.). I can't be a buying customer if you don't have anything in my size or don't carry anything besides pudding bowl helmets. I don't care if it you can order it and have it in a week, I can order it tonight online and have it on my door step in a day or two. This is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area mind you, I would have thought there would be some places out here that carry stuff (if anyone knows of anything besides Cycle Gear, let me know). I don't buy this stuff online because I need to try it on before I drop $800 on a helmet or jacket
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #125
katanarama
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
Couple of years back bought textile A-stars jacket and pants from a Suzuki dealer. We talked about the air/oil cooled days of Suzuki GSX/GSX-Rs for about one hour. Pleasant experience overall

Went back into the store to get some boots 2 weeks later. I spent a few minutes trying some on by myself until the same guy (owner) came to help me. This time his reception was a little more icy. I had pretty much decided which boots I wanted and was about to ask if he could take my cash when he says to me "Another internet shopper here to try boots on and then walk out the door never to return!"

He was right on one thing, I never did return to his store.
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #126
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,630
Me "Why does the speedo cable go to the front wheel?"

"Because that way, when you are roaasting the tire in an awesome smoky burnout, you don't rack up a bunch of miles on the clock!!!!!"

I love sportbike sales pitches, and on that one the speedo drive was actually on the drive sprocket, I was just being a smartass.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #127
blackx70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Stopped by the new local BMW dealer in Orange Park, FL to see if they happen to have any dash lights in stock for my 1100R (thought that I would throw a couple of bucks their way). Parts guy was nice and looked at my old bulb and said that they did not have any, but I would save a buck or two if I just went next door to NAPA. I thought that was cool.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #128
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
But the other reason is what people have already mentioned, they never seem to have what you want. I understand it's difficult for a smaller store to carry everything, I get it. But it also doesn't help if you don't have a decent selection of items, sizes, colors, etc.
About a month ago I was shopping for rain gear after I had a zipper blow out on the highway. Went to 3 dealerships, none had rain gear in stock. I don't mean they didn't have my size either, they had none. I wasn't planning on being picky, just needed something waterproof. Ended up having to go online, I was out of local dealers to check for and it wasn't looking promising.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #129
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
About a month ago I was shopping for rain gear after I had a zipper blow out on the highway. Went to 3 dealerships, none had rain gear in stock. I don't mean they didn't have my size either, they had none. I wasn't planning on being picky, just needed something waterproof. Ended up having to go online, I was out of local dealers to check for and it wasn't looking promising.
That's happened to me too - back when I still had a bike, I had a similar experience and couldn't find anything. I ended up buying a cheap neon green over sized windbreaker from some sporting goods store on clearance for like $2. Fit over my riding jacket and worked great!

But that's basically what I'm talking about - at least carry a bit of everything. I'm odd sized and simply can't order stuff online (unless it's something I've bought before and know the size) - I have to try it on. I'm not ordering five different helmets/jackets/pants, etc. at a time to find the one that fits and then mail back the ones that don't. I have no problem paying a bit of a retail mark up and giving my business to mom and pop, but it's hard for me to do when they don't have anything in the flipping store.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #130
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
As I am reading this I can't help but look back (fondly) at today's journey to Harbor Freight. I don't know how it works in your town, but here's how it works in Jax. First, the phone call. "Hi. I'm looking for a few small, unusual tools. Do you have them in stock?" Ten seconds later, "Yes, we have them."

Then, at the store. I walk up to a worker bee stocking some shelves. "Hi. I'm looking for a small set of picks (in this huge, crowded store). They look kinda like dental picks. I have the part number here if you ..." Without even looking up, she says, "two aisles over. Aisle 5. Halfway down on the left. Bottom shelf," and goes back to work. Sure as shit, there they were. The place is a goddam miracle factory.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #131
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I called the local KTM dealer, so see if they could mount some tires I had purchased, as I was going to be out of town on business, and would not have time.

Me - "Hello....can you mount a couple of tires for me? I'll pull the wheels off the bike, and drop them by."

Dealer - "Did you buy the tires from me?"

Me - "Um, no I did not....I ordered them on the internet a while back when they were on sale"

Dealer - "I don't want your business"

I have not set foot in the local KTM dealer's shop in the 5 years since that conversation took place.
There are three major dealers in my town (not including H-D dealers). Back when I needed to get a set of tires mounted for my SV, I called around to try to get to price estimates if I brought the wheels in already removed from the bike.

All three dealerships/shops wouldn't touch the wheels because I didn't purchase the tires from them. Their prices on sport touring tires like Pilot Roads was ABSURD, and they didn't even have any already in stock. Also, they were charging around 100 dollars per wheel to mount them (assuming you purchased the tires from them).

I eventually found a little mom and pop tire shop near my house, and they helped me out for about 35 bucks for both wheels.

Dealers are well within their rights to refuse service in these scenarios. However, I'm well within my right to do what I do best; bitch, moan, and complain about it.

opmike screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 12:30 PM
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #132
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
There are three major dealers in my town (not including H-D dealers). Back when I needed to get a set of tires mounted for my SV, I called around to try to get to price estimates if I brought the wheels in already removed from the bike.

All three dealerships/shops wouldn't touch the wheels because I didn't purchase the tires from them. Their prices on sport touring tires like Pilot Roads was ABSURD, and they didn't even have any already in stock. Also, they were charging around 100 dollars per wheel to mount them (assuming you purchased the tires from them).

I eventually found a little mom and pop tire shop near my house, and they helped me out for about 35 bucks for both wheels.

Dealers are well within their rights to refuse service in these scenarios. However, I'm well within my right to do what I do best; bitch, moan, and complain about it.
The tire shop down the road from my parents' place doesn't sell bike tires but if I bring the bike and tires there, they LEND me the tools to remove/replace the wheels, change the tires with a smile (and chat bikes while they do it) and only charge either five pounds ($8) per wheel or five pounds total - I forget which, but it's low either way. They will always have my business for car tires and my hearty recommendation to others.

Cyclegear has a great selection, good prices and will order anything I want without trying to push what's on the shelf. Their installation cost is very reasonable too. If they are making money off tires like that then so could the motorcycle dealers.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #133
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
I can, too, but they won't fit. The fella at NAPA said he didn't have anything that would work; too big or too small. He's helped me with a few other projects on my bike, always treating me fairly, so I'm inclined to trust the guy.

As an A&P (airframe & power-plant) mechanic once told me: if it's a motorcycle part, they move the decimal in the price once to the right. If it's an aircraft part, they swap the decimal for a comma.

X2 on the bearing supply.
I have metric and standard o rings in my work truck, and there is enough difference to matter sometimes.
I also have an o ring repair kit, it has 7 different lengths of material that you cut to length and glue together to make an o ring.
Works much better than you would imagine.
I'm an equipment operator, and usually have to fix my shit when it breaks so I get some cool toys.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #134
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Couple stories. I just bought a Honda CRF250L from a dealer in Orem, UT. I live in Las Vegas. Why would he do that, you ask? Because the local Powersports dealer wanted $6350 out the door. I got the CRF from Monarch Honda for $4499 OTD. Walked in, gave them the check, tossed it in the truck and was on my way home in 30 minutes. The tax, title and license fee when I registered it the next day in NV, was 400. For a total of $4899. Where does the extra $1451 go my local dealer wanted? What a rip.

There is a local MC shop. Motorcycle Tire Center. I take any work I have there. Nice guys, fair rates and good service. I've even taken parts from my resto projects there and asked if I could use their media blaster. They always let me, never charge me, but I leave them a $20 anyway. I'm getting new tires on the CRF when I get home from this trip.

Sam's Cycle is another great place to go in Vegas. I've has lot's of stuff done there on my older bikes.

There are good shops out there, and I go to them whenever I can.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #135
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,823
The customer is always right; right?

I am hesitant to post in this thread because I work the parts counter at a family owned dealership, (not my family). I can see me venting about some of the transactions that take place day in and day out and visualize a group of ADVRiders picketing my shop, LOL.

Last week a customer came in with a list of OEM part numbers he wanted IF we could/would beat another dealer’s quote. We were able to beat the prices and he ordered the parts after verifying the parts were for his make and model. The parts came in he was called to let him know he could pick them up; three days later he shows up and immediately wanted his money back. Remember he provided the part numbers, he did not want our service department to do the work, and he did not have the bike at the dealership to verify what he needed.

He had crashed his bike received and insurance settlement for OEM parts and prices and had not liked the price for the repair another shop was requiring. He did use the others dealerships quote to get his settlement put wanted to do the work himself.

Now before everyone says we are the experts and we should have all the parts anyone wants in stock and there is no harm in giving him his money back, I still have to answer to a man that has been in business since 1967 and it is his shop not mine and his rules.

We ordered what he requested at a price he agreed to pay and NO I did not refund his money or take his parts back.

I have had individuals bring in items purchased at other dealerships and want us to refund them money on the items “because we are all the same company right?”

People want a free replacement tire because their Qualifier only lasted 1000 miles. They swear they have never done a burnout but the rubber all over the swing arm, fender hugger and huge center flat spot with cords showing say otherwise.

On a positive note, I looked out and saw an older KLR with Jesse Bags fully stickered up. When I had a chance I walked out and looked it over and noticed the California plate, OK I am interested and keep my eye out for the rider. Shortly John (jonyfi) came in; he is on an extended ride to say the least.

Anyway I didn’t get a chance to chat with him much since I was dealing with the individual I started this post was requiring my attention.

Take a minute and check out John’s website http://twaroundtheworld.com because he is doing what a lot of us dream about doing.

Okie

FYI we have the 2013 CRF250L on the floor priced at $4599.
NC-Okie is online now   Reply With Quote