Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Soberman001 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
EZ Pass Location?

Guys
Sorry this isn't exactly a GPS question but as close as I could find.

I have a NJ Toll Pass (EZ Pass). I want to mount it on my new BMW but I don't want it on the windshield because the shield is adjustable so the EZ Pass can either get in the way of the movement, or when the shield is moved to the top position, the EZ Pass can be annoyingly in my way. I thought about mounting it facing the sky on the faring to the left of the instrument cluster. It is fully exposed to the SKY with no major hard parts in the way but it does't face 45 degrees forward in the way it would on a car or bike windshield.

Anyone got any recommendations? Are these things that sensitive to the positioning?

Thanks
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
I'm sorry, I don't know what the motorcycle ez-pass is like for you. Here we have stickers for the car that go on windshields and transponders (about the size of 10 credit cards) for motorcycles. So on my bike I just have it in the tank bag, under a couple of maps so it is out of sight. I know others that mount them under the fairing. The stickers are another story and they need to be out in the open more so if that is what you have, I can't help.

Oh, and here they read your plate no matter whether they can detect a sticker/transponder and they trace it back to your account that way. So even if it doesn't read, I get the toll tag rates instead of the more expensive pay by mail.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Soberman001 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks WB. The transponders here in NJ are about the size of an iphone. As far as I know, we have not adopted the mini-pass which are more like a credit card style sticker.

Based on your comments, I should be able to put it under the fairing? Or worst case, mount it on top of the gas tank with some velcro?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
I zip tied mine to the front, exterior of my tank bag. It works fine.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Soberman001 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I zip tied mine to the front, exterior of my tank bag. It works fine.
I ain't got a tank bag but I guess velcro'ing it to the faring facing up would have the same effect. I was hoping to put it inside a upward facing locked glove box of my K12GT. Worst case is I try that and it fails the first booth.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberman001 View Post
I ain't got a tank bag but I guess velcro'ing it to the faring facing up would have the same effect. I was hoping to put it inside a upward facing locked glove box of my K12GT. Worst case is I try that and it fails the first booth.

If you set off the alarms going through the toll booth, just nail it. You have to get out of there before they break out the machine guns and start firing at you.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
ghorgan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I-Pass/EZ-Pass

I have used an I-Pass on several cross country trips ending in the NE USA. Just slip it into the map case on my tank bag. Does not seem to matter which way is up. So, orientation is not critical. . Size 3 x 3.5 x 0.7.
Real boon when riding in the toll plagued eastern states. Surprisingly, Michigan has not joined the IPass/EZPass consortium, So, the toll at Mackinac bridge is not I-Pass enabled and I was there last month in heavy rain, no shelter, soggy water filled gloves, full rain gear, delving for notes. It took a while to get off bike, off gloves, roll down rain pants, pay, remount, struggle with gloves etc. Two wheelers should be free! Save every one, especially cages trapped behind an MC.
ghorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Jamesongoesup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I stuck mine under the beak. It reads fine, doesn't go anywhere, and is only visible if I'm down on my knees looking for it
Jamesongoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
The Shifty Jesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Well, if you're running around NJ/NY, you might as well just carry it around in an easily accessible and quickly removable place, because it's not going to work half the time anyways.

Their tool booths really do suck reading them off a motorcycle for some reason.

I used to carry mine in the map pouch of my tank bag, so I could rip the map pouch off quickly and wave it above my head like a jerk-off when it wouldn't read normally. Eventually I gave up and just shoved it in my pocket.

There is a manual reader with a button on the top of the gate; lay it on the reader and push the button. The police and/or toll booth maid (whoever may be around) gets pretty pissed at you for doing it yourself though FYI. They don't like you stepping off the bike.
The Shifty Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
I keep my in my jacket pocket. It reads sometimes here in the Chicago area. I never reads on the Skybridge or in Indiana. I do not take the toll roads in Indiana anymore because it is just so difficult on my bike to stop and try and get a person on the "help" line and read the number to them.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Wow, we appear to lucky here in Austin. Nothing to stop us. If you don't have a tag they read your plate and mail you a bill. If it doesn't read your tag, they link the tag when they read the plate. There is on exact change line, but most tool booths areas are unmanned.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Wow, we appear to lucky here in Austin. Nothing to stop us. If you don't have a tag they read your plate and mail you a bill. If it doesn't read your tag, they link the tag when they read the plate.
Yep, register my plate and leave the tag at home
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Yep, register my plate and leave the tag at home
That's what I have started to do. The Velcro strips they supply with the (Illinois) EZpass don't seem to last as long on the bike as they do on the car. I think losing the pass would cost 40 bucks, and I've had a close call twice now.
Gruesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yeah, if you can register it with them (in the Bay Area at least, it's just on their website), there's no reason to have the transponder anymore at all.

If they're lucky, they can read your plate and charge your funded account.. if you're lucky, they can't.
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
truth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Arm Band

I don't like a lot of "clutter" on my bike. I purchased an arm band that is designed to hold my EZ Pass. When I'm traveling someplace with tolls I just put it on. I can find the website that sells them if you're interested.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote