Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetman View Post
Yeah, if you can register it with them (in the Bay Area at least, it's just on their website), there's no reason to have the transponder anymore at all.

If they're lucky, they can read your plate and charge your funded account.. if you're lucky, they can't.
Heh I have one lucky and one unlucky bike.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
How about on the top of your helmet? Just bow down to the EZ-Pass Reader and go. Or, maybe you could come up with some stretchy straps for your left forearm--point at the machine and go.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
I have this on my GSA handlebars. Works every time.

http://www.motochanic.com/motorcycle...FQJN4AodcXAAHg
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shifty Jesus View Post
There is a manual reader with a button on the top of the gate; lay it on the reader and push the button. The police and/or toll booth maid (whoever may be around) gets pretty pissed at you for doing it yourself though FYI. They don't like you stepping off the bike.
5/10 times the reader works (horrible), so I end up laying it on the reader and push the button and typically the cop or attendant is walking up, they seem happy that I took care of it myself.

OP I keep it in my pocket and as i'm driving up I take it out and once the thing goes up I put it back in my pocket, but most of the time if I have my tankbag ill just throw it in there on top with the M facing up.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I have this on my GSA handlebars. Works every time.

http://www.motochanic.com/motorcycle...FQJN4AodcXAAHg
Yeahbutt that costs all of $22. Plus shipping. You BMW guys spend more than that at a SBUX visit, but some of the frugals here would be appalled. (Seriously, that seems like decent product, I hope they find sufficient market for it.)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
5/10 times the reader works (horrible), so I end up laying it on the reader and push the button and typically the cop or attendant is walking up, they seem happy that I took care of it myself.

OP I keep it in my pocket and as i'm driving up I take it out and once the thing goes up I put it back in my pocket, but most of the time if I have my tankbag ill just throw it in there on top with the M facing up.
In the North East they have a special (just ask for it) pass just for motorcycles, it's black and maybe 2"x 7" works every time for me here on the East Coast, come to think of it maybe that's not such a good thing.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
In the North East they have a special (just ask for it) pass just for motorcycles, it's black and maybe 2"x 7" works every time for me here on the East Coast, come to think of it maybe that's not such a good thing.

Ron W.
North East where? I am in the north east.

I have the EZPASS with the M on it, it's about 3x4. I don't know which other one you speak of.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 220
Italy has a similat system (TelePass) for the autostrade tolls. I just keep the TelePass in the breast pocket of my jacket; usually it works. Occasionally the red lights flash and the alarm sounds because it didn't read -- and I dodge the falling arm and keep going because that's a better option than being hit by the car that's about a foot off my rear wheel.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shifty Jesus View Post
The police and/or toll booth maid (whoever may be around) gets pretty pissed at you for doing it yourself though FYI. They don't like you stepping off the bike.
Similar experience! lol
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,801
I've duct taped just the sides of mine and positioned it in the (right-hand side) grip's brushguard.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
phantomjr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
In New Hampshire the black 2x7 transponder is the one they give you if you say your car has special UV windshield glass. It can be mounted on your license plate for a car/truck. I mounted mine on the light bar for my Shadow.
phantomjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I'm in IL, we have transponders, I have one in my car.

I do not use it on my bike, I just ride right through.

As stated, they will read the plate and process it to your account. So long as the plate is registered no tickets are issued. They seem to understand that no matter where you put them they get misreads (one ipass employee indicated that the percentage of times the things don't read is fairly high in the open road tolling)
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #28
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
I'm in IL, we have transponders, I have one in my car.

I do not use it on my bike, I just ride right through.

As stated, they will read the plate and process it to your account. So long as the plate is registered no tickets are issued. They seem to understand that no matter where you put them they get misreads (one ipass employee indicated that the percentage of times the things don't read is fairly high in the open road tolling)
Here in the tri-state area, the stick won't go up on the majority of the EZPass tolls if it does not read, an attendant physically comes out, if you don't have it they will make you pull over, write up your tag and you can mail in the payment plus a small fee.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
My GS tank bag has an indentation for a cell phone (I guess) under the clear plastic top cover. The EZ tag fits in there perfectly and stays put.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
North East where? I am in the north east.

I have the EZPASS with the M on it, it's about 3x4. I don't know which other one you speak of.
I have the traditional EZpass for my car it's about 3x4x3/4" beige plastic. When I purchased my last bike (Vstrom) I ordered another one and specified it was for a motorcycle, they sent me a black 2"x8" unit. I keep it my tank bag and never even think about it as a matter of fact I forgot where I had it

I just went down to the bike and checked it out and it says it's a License Plate tag and it's a sealed unit designed for mouniting on a license plate mount. It works perfectly on my bike, what can I say.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote