User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
converting FI to carbs

anyone ever done this? I'm aware that FI runs better, I've had two FI bikes, and I love that you can walk out to them and they start up immediately, never have issues with running poorly in bad atmosphere or high altitudes, etc. I purchased a wrecked Italian FI twin, and all the electronics, dash, etc. are really expensive to replace. not to mention the dash is super ugly, and i'm making it naked. is it possible to bypass or remove all the sensors and go to carbs? is it possible to remove the ECU and go to a simpler system with just a CDI box, etc? I know you can trick the ECU by rewiring the sensors to always be giving the right input, etc. again, i'm aware of the advantages of FI. but I've also had several carbed bikes that ran great.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
allot of work involved, will need knowledge on how to rewire the whole bike too much hassle unless your one of those geniuses who are the bill gates of automotive electronics.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, im pretty good with electronics, i used to teach interactive sensors and programming... but i dont know if im that good.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,481
I'm going the other way on my long-term GL1500 project bike, but the problem was somewhat similar. The GL's carb and ignition systems were linked by a complicated series of vacuum lines, sensors, and doo-dads.

I decided it would be easier to just rip out the OE harness entirely and build a new one from scratch. Maybe the same approach would work for you. You can get aftermarket ignition computers for relatively little money, like the Megajolt. Everything else on most bikes is pretty straightforward - mostly just simple circuits for lights, really.

Your bike already has all the sensors it needs to run the ignition system, and there's probably a relatively simple way to make them work with the Megajolt unit. Shouldn't be too difficult. In theory.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

sweet, thanks. so as far as running the engine, the only real electrical circuit is the ignition, and the rest are for the lights, etc.?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
sweet, thanks. so as far as running the engine, the only real electrical circuit is the ignition, and the rest are for the lights, etc.?
It's going to be bike-specific, to some extent. Newer bikes will probably have more complicated circuits and may have things like the gauges working on ECU inputs. ABS and traction control systems, if present, are probably not going to function properly without the ECU unless they're already on independent circuits. Getting things that were originally controlled by the ECU to work with a stripped-down electrical system is going to be difficult to impossible.

But everything can be stripped off of any bike. You really just need a headlight, tail light, turn signals (don't even really need these), and power to the ignition (and fuel pump if so equipped). Other ancillary things like the horn, gauges, indicator lights, and so on, are fairly easy to deal with too.

Not really knowing anything about the bike you're working on, it's hard to say what difficulties you'll run into. If you're trying to keep it otherwise stock and just substitute carbs for EFI, it's going to be tricky, most likely. But if you're OK with stripping everything down and maybe replacing some of the original parts with simpler alternatives (like an aftermarket gauge set that doesn't need ECU inputs to read properly), I'd say it's doable.

Edit: noticed that I didn't really answer the question you actually asked. Yes, all an engine needs to run is fuel, air, and spark. If you get fuel and air covered with a carburetor setup (which needs no electrical input), the only thing you have to power is the ignition. Assuming there aren't any gadgets built into the engine itself like variable cam timing solenoids and such.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
EFI is very straightforward and reliable. Replacing it with carbs is nowhere near straightforward. Are the parts available i.e. ignition? What triggers the ignition? Cam sensor? Crank sensor? or a combination of both allowing the box to determine which cylinder needs a spark. Do you have access to a dyno with an operator good enough to write an advance curve w/o making holes in pistons?

In the long run the cost of repairing what's there may be far less than a conversion.

What make/model? There could be a straight up swap available from a different year or model that will bolt up easily. The easier it is the more likely it will be a low headache factor.

Think real hard and deep before embarking on this project. It may be cheaper to take up smoking meth.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Think real hard and deep before embarking on this project. It may be cheaper to take up smoking meth.
Yeah, it might be more expensive but it'll also be a lot less enjoyable!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Hahaha. Ok, thanks guys. Its an 07 tuono. Im thinking a different bike might be a better startong point for doing something carbed.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

It's up to you. Like I said, I'm elbows-deep in a similar project that's already been going on for a year and is likely to take another before it's done. It's often frustrating, but it is also rewarding and fun to build something unique and take the road less traveled. If you're the kind of person who likes tinkering and you're OK with having a disassembled bike in your garage for a long time, go for it. If not, maybe best to steer clear.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

i am very ok with both those things. I would really like to build a tuono engine up into something totally different. I'm fine with it taking a while.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, the seller backed out on me, so it may end up being irrelevant anyway
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
eerikkarts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
go to micro-/megasquirt?
Properly tune carbs from scratch takes time, lot of dyno time. Also you need who is experienced in carb tuning. For me carbs are voodoo. I have read a lot about it and tried to tune by its self. But ended with already preset configuration, and it run little rich but pulled strongly and fuel economy was fairly good.
For now i went FI route, but I am used all FI Bike components including engine...
With Megasquirt you can tune it better and easier. Try to calculate...
eerikkarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
for ignition, there are a couple aftermarket things out there. I have used Boyer with great results. I think they will even modify or make something special. basically all you need is a rotating magnet on a cam or crank and a place to attach a pickup coil. V engine though.... might need 2 ign boxes. maybe Dynatec, since they make stuff for Harleys

http://www.boyerbransden.com/productinfo.html

heres one version that should be real easy to adapt...
http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/kit00102.pdf

as for carbs... "perfect" is a lot of work unless you get lucky..... "running pretty good" isn't really that hard

Beezer screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 10:13 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 318
Reminds me of the wealthy American kids that spend $150k of their parents money to get a liberal arts degree, then move to northern Maine to become 'farmers' and run plows pulled by horses.

Vis a vis ... the biggest waste of resources and energy I can think of.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote