User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 473
Honda SL100

Just picked up this little beauty last night. Honda SL100. Haven't figured out what year yet, no info on it at all from the PO, haven't even tried to turn the engine over.

SL's were THE bike to have when I was kid, but no one in my neighborhood could afford one. Only the rich kids on the other side of town had them. Now I finally have one. And yes its turdly, but that's fine.

My 16 yr old daughter came along for the ride to get it to keep me company. She is loving it, is already trying to claim it as hers.

I will post an update in about, oh...6 mths when I get a chance to get to it (a bazillion projects ahead of it, but it was so cheap I could not pass it up).

In the meantime, if anyone has any good forums or sites where I can learn about them I would appreciate you posting them up. A quick google search last night did not return much info on the SL100.

Thanks! -Ed

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

Making progress already. According to this website my SL is an 1972 model as my vin number starts with SL100-12...

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0100/sl100.htm#y-1971

I was also able to find a repair manual pdf and it looks like there are some pretty knowledgeable guys about these bikes in the vintage forum over at TT. Was a bit worried there as my initial web searches were not turning up much info, but now I have pretty much all I need to get started.

Also found tons of parts on ebay and they seem reasonably priced.

I'm psyched!

'06 Husqvarna WR125
Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,289
That is one fun looking little bike.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,225
A used '72 SL125 was my first bike. Circa 1976... I learned a lot about riding and wrenching over the couple years I owned it.

I saw one on craigslist nearby a couple years ago. Went to look at it thinking it'd be fun to own one again. First impression was how small it was LOL. Of course, I've gained some weight since high school. I took all my gear and rode it a few miles, and it was nothing like I remember it. Passed on the deal. If I had had a youngster, I probably would have picked it up for a project. Good luck with yours, hope your daughter lets you borrow the keys from time to time!
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
A used '72 SL125 was my first bike. Circa 1976... I learned a lot about riding and wrenching over the couple years I owned it.

I saw one on craigslist nearby a couple years ago. Went to look at it thinking it'd be fun to own one again. First impression was how small it was LOL. Of course, I've gained some weight since high school. I took all my gear and rode it a few miles, and it was nothing like I remember it. Passed on the deal. If I had had a youngster, I probably would have picked it up for a project. Good luck with yours, hope your daughter lets you borrow the keys from time to time!
Lol! I think it will be fun if I ever get it running. For all I know the motor is trashed, in that case it goes to the back of the line.

Short term plan is to spend a few hours evaluating it, compression, spark, condition of carb, etc. If it looks like I can get it running reasonably well without too much investment it may jump to 3rd in line (behind the DRZ125 / KX100 suspension project and the Derbi GP1 scooter engine rebuild project).

And I hear you on trying to revisit old bikes. I owned an RD350 in college, my only transportation. Loved it.

Rode my buddies more or less restored RD350 a few years ago. Wow. Eye opener. Cured me of my desire for an RD in the garage. At least for now. Ha ha..

'06 Husqvarna WR125
Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 200
Hard to remember that far back, but it looks like a Basani pipe on it. Nice find!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 193
I owned a '71 as my first bike. And because it kept breaking cam sprockets, as a twelve year old I got pretty good at tearing down and rebuilding that little fella. Never really liked the bike, but it was a good project for spending my grass-cutting money on.
IF you tear in to the engine, replace everything! Don't piece it.
Enjoy the bike. Let your daughter tear it down with you. Fun times...NOT!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I've had one or more 100 and/or 125 Honda singles like that continuously since about 1979... Yeah, I guess I know 'em a bit.

Looks like a lot of fun. Parts are very very available from sources ranging from Mother Honda, thru folks like BikeBandit thru ebay. Virtually everything. Body parts will have to come from ebay, but nearly every other hard or soft part should be available.

Even hot-rod parts are available, since they are (or can be) competitive in AHRMA vintage racing. Big-bore kits, big carbs, big cams, hot valve springs, etc etc etc.

And stone simple! If you can work on a single-cylinder Briggs & Stratton motor, you can work on one of those.

An excellent find! Good luck with it.

Kirk
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
Hard to remember that far back, but it looks like a Basani pipe on it. Nice find!
Thanks, I was wondering what pipe that was. I imagine it will be a bit louder then stock, LOL.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkN View Post
I've had one or more 100 and/or 125 Honda singles like that continuously since about 1979... Yeah, I guess I know 'em a bit.

Looks like a lot of fun. Parts are very very available from sources ranging from Mother Honda, thru folks like BikeBandit thru ebay. Virtually everything. Body parts will have to come from ebay, but nearly every other hard or soft part should be available.

Even hot-rod parts are available, since they are (or can be) competitive in AHRMA vintage racing. Big-bore kits, big carbs, big cams, hot valve springs, etc etc etc.

And stone simple! If you can work on a single-cylinder Briggs & Stratton motor, you can work on one of those.

An excellent find! Good luck with it.

Kirk
Thanks!

Kicked it over last night for the first time just to see if it was free and it was, just like the nice lady that sold it to me told me it was.

But holy cow, doesn't feel like any compression at all. Not surprising, probably why it was sold off. I wonder how many people have picked it up thinking they would be the one to get it running and then gave up on it.

There is a rats nest of wiring hanging all over it too. But that is all fine. I've found a wiring diagram on the 'net (amazing what is out there) so I should be able to figure it out.

First order of business is to see what is going on with the top end. If there is enough compression to run it for a while I will press on, of not, it will go on hold while I do research on what its going to take to get it reliably running again.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
while I do research on what its going to take to get it reliably running again.
Good news.

I'll make a prediction: barring any catastophic issues (totally scored cylinder, holed piston, etc), all it'll take, realistically, is a set of rings off ebay, a quick valve lapping and a new set of points & condenser off ebay. Boom.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
woodsrider-boyd OP
Wow, these guys are fast

I like the sound of that!

I'm a little bit concerned about possible wear to the cam journals, I'm reading that this engine series did not use cam bearings, the cam rides right on the aluminum cam journals. Yikes.

I hear heads in good condition are hard to find, but there seems to be a ready supply on ebay, so who knows. But I'm way ahead of myself here, no sense freaking out about the unknown.

Now I just need to find some time to work on it.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,226
I have a 1975 CB125s, very similar engine. The thing will run forever.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will need a fresh and well charged battery (6 volt), or the bike will not start, and if it does start will sputter and drive you crazy trying to find out what's wrong with it.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
neil w
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looks to be the same basic engine as my old sl125, couple of points to increase top end engine life .

1. Regular oil changes .. max 600 to 750 miles
2. Make sure the centrifugal oil filter on the end of the crank is cleaned out
regularly as it will block and it is the only filter in the engine
3. Make sure the backing plate of the oil pump is not cracked... if it is the
bike will lose its oil pressure to the head and the cam will seize

Would love another one but in the UK even basket case projects are going at over 1000
neil w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
I'm a little bit concerned about possible wear to the cam journals, I'm reading that this engine series did not use cam bearings, the cam rides right on the aluminum cam journals. Yikes.
Well, that's true enough, but quite a few OTHER Honda (and others) models of that time did, too, with no particular reputations for premature failures. Yes, you could fail one, but IMO, you REALLY have to work at it to get a failed one.

As for what others have said - they're all 100% correct - sharp battery, frequent oil changes, clean the centrifugal strainer, etc.