ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,130
Harley-Davidson "Ride Planner" tool ... pretty clever...

Ok.... So I have a Garmin GPS (Nuvi 500) and MapSource has always driven me crazy,
I started looking at BaseCamp, but have not got very far with that evaluation ...

What I've always wanted is a "tool" that looked kinda like Google Maps where I could snap in a route,
drag it around until I was happy with it then download it into my GPS without a lot of overhead.
Someone mentioned the Harley-Davidson "Ride Planner" tool. I tried it out and it seems to work pretty well.
The interface is VERY much like Google Maps, and when you are done the route downloads directly into the GPS with no muss/fuss. You can share your route either publicly or privately with other Ride-Planner users.
You still need WAYPOINTs to anchor your route so that an internal route recalculation by the GPS won't screw things up, but I have found it to be pretty good.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...idePlanner.jsp

I could not find any "serious" threads here on ADVRider dedicated to this tool so thought I'd start one ......

Anybody else have anything to say about this tool??
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: n.o. la.
Oddometer: 431
cool thanks
__________________
tiger 1050
wrecked'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982
 
switchback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 1,484
Played for a few minutes so far. How is it that Harley of all companies could make something so useful to the adventure rider? Awesome!
__________________
David

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
Played for a few minutes so far. How is it that Harley of all companies could make something so useful to the adventure rider? Awesome!
I don't know ... sigh ... I just don't know...
The "great roads" feature seems hosed up and/or under-populated, but the basic tool works pretty darn well.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ok.... So I have a Garmin GPS (Nuvi 500) and MapSource has always driven me crazy,
I started looking at BaseCamp, but have not got very far with that evaluation ...

What I've always wanted is a "tool" that looked kinda like Google Maps where I could snap in a route,
drag it around until I was happy with it then download it into my GPS without a lot of overhead.
Someone mentioned the Harley-Davidson "Ride Planner" tool. I tried it out and it seems to work pretty well.
The interface is VERY much like Google Maps, and when you are done the route downloads directly into the GPS with no muss/fuss. You can share your route either publicly or privately with other Ride-Planner users.
You still need WAYPOINTs to anchor your route so that an internal route recalculation by the GPS won't screw things up, but I have found it to be pretty good.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...idePlanner.jsp

I could not find any "serious" threads here on ADVRider dedicated to this tool so thought I'd start one ......

Anybody else have anything to say about this tool??
There's about a thousand (give or take a couple of thousand) of these applications on the web. It kind of looks like Google Maps because it is using Google Maps. Having used Google Maps and written code to Google Maps API's, I really don't see any advantage over BaseCamp. The workflow certainly isn't any easier and with these Google applications, any routes you create will have to have waypoints placed in them so that a GPS doesn't totally ignore your route path. Seems like twice the work to me - guess that's why I quite using them some time ago.

Keep using the H-D website for a while. When BaseCamp v4 is released (soon) you might want to give it a try. There will be a Web component Called Garmin Adventures where you can directly share from BaseCamp your data online with the world if you wish. You'll also be able to search for other's published Adventures right in BaseCamp.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: 10,000 Lakes Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,357
I looked at the Harley thing too. Spent an hour or so playing around with it. There were a couple of toolbox commands it was lacking as I recall, and at one point I lost everything in terms of "route" that I had drawn and got pissed off at it and dumped it.

I liked the concept though. Harley and Harley groups do come up with some simple yet useful stuff-- motel / lodging guides with discounts and ratings about a motel, etc.
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks. Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 448
I played with it for a while and it seemed nice and functional. Saved several routes, but I haven't tried to download one to my GPS yet. It is easier than Bascamp to me, but I suppose if you use Basecamp a lot you may find it easy, I don't. I do think Basecamp has more features, but with features come complexity often.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Keep using the H-D website for a while. When BaseCamp v4 is released (soon) you might want to give it a try. There will be a Web component Called Garmin Adventures where you can directly share from BaseCamp your data online with the world if you wish. You'll also be able to search for other's published Adventures right in BaseCamp.

Cheers,
Thanks I will do that - have you heard of a tentative release date for BC V4?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks I will do that - have you heard of a tentative release date for BC V4?
No data - like most Manufacturers, they don't do that. But, the Beta's seem to be going well and the Adventure website seems to be working OK so it shouldn't be that far out for the v4.0.1 release. I expect they will want to coordinate the release with at least one GPS model (Montana?) that can support Adventures.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
... I expect they will want to coordinate the release with at least one GPS model (Montana?) that can support Adventures.
Cheers,
Thanks! That would be a nice way to introduce it, I'll be on the lookout!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bob393's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Goshen, NY
Oddometer: 389
Cool Google map based program.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,426
neat ... HD tool
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014