Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
We've officially started our journey by getting split up right off the get go. Minxter got on a different plane than I did. That's the way it goes when you fly as a 'non-revenue' stand by passenger (buddy passes). You are at the mercy of fully booked planes and you just wait for the next plane that's not full. This can be days if you're unlucky and dealing with any checked bags is an additional challenge. You also are responsible for getting all the flights lined up to your final destination which includes buying any shorter flights where the non-rev option is not part of the program. The whole thing can be very trying. You just need to let it go and be ready to improvise.

However, you can have a totally different experience when there's room and you get offered first class seats. This however cuts into the minimalist approach as you need to dress appropriately and respectful which means you can't wear your dirt bike gear on the plane like any self respecting minimalist would.*

So, we're in Detroit waiting to see if we get offered first class.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First class, boom boom!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
subscribed
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Of the few journeys overseas that I've done, this one was by far the best with first class seats on 2 flights and a very easy shuttle to our friends place in Ulaanbaatar. We've located some bikes and are going to try to purchase them today. Our partner Buuurrt comes in on Sunday so we hope to start riding then.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
We leave Tuesday, August 23rd. We're flying stand-by on buddy passes from Buuuuurt, just our style. There probably won't be much chance to update this report while we're out there but we'll try when we come through more populated places.
Just saying but this upcoming ride report had better have lots of photos of dissassembled bikes, parts and empty beer bottles scattered all over the ground
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Just saying but this upcoming ride report had better have lots of photos of dissassembled bikes, parts and empty beer bottles scattered all over the ground
Seriously. Hard to beat the India trip!
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Sorry, but once out in the sticks, fermented mares' milk is a lot more common than beer. No cans.

Also, if offered cheese in a ger, don't eat it if you can help it. It is the most bitter, awful tasting thing I have ever tasted
2005 KTM 525 MXC (plated and for sale soon)
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's all about vodka over here and we're hoping not to have to work on the bikes everyday and especially, we're trying to avoid cracking the case on one of them! But, I brought my tools and I'm ready to tackle what ever comes along.

We are in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia staying with some friends. The trip has been a breeze so far compared to India. Comparatively, things are relatively clean, the people are not on you like flies on dead horses in Delhi, and the traffic is more or less orderly. I've been told that nothing will shock you after spending time in India. So far, I've found this to be true.

We are shopping for bikes to purchase as we haven't found any to rent with our budget. It sounds like *registering them *will be our biggest challenge. We have a couple of locals that are helping us which is huge since not many people speak english.*

Here's Minxter sizing up one of the bikes. It seems like we have a choice between Yingang, Dayun, and Jialing bikes which are all chinese. I can't say that I have much faith in any of these yet. However, I wonder if the Mongolian deep seated hatred for China is one reason for bad talking these bikes? Or are they just cheap Chinese junk? Or both?!!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,041
Your friends in the mining biz?
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, one of our friends works for a mining company.

As I write, Buuuuurrrt is trying to get on a flight from Seattle to Beijing but is getting hassled by Delta for not having a Chinese visa. We ran into the same problem in Tokyo. The airlines get fined if they fly people into China with no visa. However, if you have a confirmed flight out of china on the same day, you don't need a visa. They will issue you a "Stay Permit" for one day. Seems like Delta is not aware of this.

Meanwhile, we are waiting for our Mongolian friend to show up who's going with us to look at what is supposed to be the best enduro China has to offer!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
FlameDance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm curious what "minimalist" really means to you and how far you take it.
(No worries, I'm no expert, just wondering how much baggage I'll really need when I try the TAT.)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick update but nothing too exciting: Delta let Buuuurrrt on his flight and even offered him first class. *Our mantra is working.*

We located the bikes we are going to purchase Monday morning. *They're Shineray "Mustangs" for $800 a piece. Sounds like our friends are going to buy them for half price after we're done. The crux is still to come with getting the bikes registered.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You know Flamedance, you may pick up some sarcasm in our talk about being minimalists and here comes a little more.*

The question you pose is a good one; how far do you take it? I say to each his own. I see some guys with oversized saddle bags and duffle bags stuffed 'til they're about to burst, and that's fine, it's just not for me. I used to have a couple of saddle bags that I'd throw on my dirt bike and I thought I was going light weight. But a guy one of us met on the road somewhere clued us in that we were by no means going light. He had basically nothing with him and when it was time to stop for the night he would pull over and sleep on the ground, no pad, no sleeping bag. Just blue jeans and he'd put his helmet on and use it as a pillow. Brilliant..........

This opened our eyes. For me and my crew, we went for the minimalist approach for two reasons. First, to have as little on our dirt bikes as possible so we can ride the bikes like we're in a desert race; catching air, pounding whoops, crossing rivers, and running the deepest sand you can imagine and loving it. The second reason is to leave it all behind and just BE. My recommendation is to be honest with yourself about what your goals are while on your journey.

Here's a quick list of the major items we bring.
20 degree down sleeping bag
Big Agnes mummy air sleeping pad-non insulated (this is SUPER small)
Small tarp
Metal Cup
Adjust-A-Fork (for cooking meat - see Utah Desert ride report listed at the beginning of this report)
Roll paper towels - great for cleaning everything including your ass
Flip flops or water shoes (or insoles from boots held on with voile straps)
1/2 gallon H2O
Whiskey
Wind breaker/rain jacket
Light weight down jacket
Misc: lighter, spoon, jack knife, headlamp, etc
Riding cloths, no spares of anything
Cook over small fire
Rinse cloths in river or car wash when needed

I don't worry about bugs, snakes, or varmints so no tent is fine and I actually prefer it. You'll be amazed with how little stuff you really need.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #29
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Things really came together today and we'll take off in the morning. We've acquired 3 steeds. They don't fit into the enduro category but rather have defined a new category that I've dubbed "rough terrain mopeds". We paid $800 a piece for these machines. I have an extreme distaste for cheap Chinese junk so this will be the ultimate litmus test. The funny thing is we're getting offers left and right from people wanting to buy the bikes when we get back. What I get from this is that they're expecting these things to make it back!! *

We also have altered the plans today. Our friend who's been putting us up and helping us out is going to join us for the journey for a week or so and fly back from Moron. The plan is that Buuuuurt and I take all the gear, water and fuel and Craig hops on the back of Minxters bike. This should be good!

Bikes right out of the crate from China

Minxter and her brand new shiny ride

Shit's getting loose, I like it.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 05:25 AM
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #30
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,554

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote