Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #106
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Are you sure you didn't hit a time-space anomaly resulting in a brief transport to Utardia, where you came upon GISKev, Ryman, and Trackhead having one of their all male "Rave" parties??
You're just jealous because your Texas ass wasn't invited.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #107
mr_bitey
n00b

Oddometer: 5
well shit...

Damn finest RR ever. THanks for sharing, excellent pics. Like your style. Have fun, be flexible and be yourself.
mr_bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #108
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
DAY 12
It's just another excellent morning at our camp. We don't hurry but we have our routine dialed so it's efficient at the same time.

We roll off the ridge down to the pavement and punch it. We're not running our mopeds all that hard because we're nervous how much they can take before something going seriously wrong. The tach redlines at 11,000rpm. We thought 6500rpm was pushing it. That gets you going at about 40mph or a bit more which was our top speed. We calculated about 60 miles per gallon or a bit better.

I taught Buuuuurrt how to install a cruise control on his bike: Voile strap around the throttle and bark buster. He installed one and started snapping photos using his throttle hand.

The bikes were showing a little wear. We had all partially or completely lost the rubber foot pegs.

Minxters header came loose.

She also had a turn signal rattle loose which we Voile strapped back on. All this stuff was minor and I had actually expected much worse by this time.

These were my favorite birds for some reason. The Black Vulture (Cinereous or Eurasion, not related to the American Black Vulture). They were massive!! These guys stood no less than 3 feet tall on the ground!! Wing spans of around 9 feet!! They are more apt to prey on animals than other vultures are. I was always awed when in their presence.

We were covering ground even when the road would go back to gravel. Buuuuuurrrrt was liking the Voile strap cruise control even on the gravel until he almost bit the dust hitting some pot holes!!

Mid day, we came into this neat town of Tsetserleg.

While it had it's charm, it also had sections that had that Soviet Communist Camp feel to it like many of the other medium sized towns.

This place did feel pretty good though and I think it would be a great place to stay for a day or two to regroup.

We found a place and had some lunch after a fairly big struggle getting the people to understand that we wanted some lunch!!

We stocked up on a few supplies. Pickles were one of our staples and we always had a jar Voile strapped to the front of my bike. This day we went with the jumbo size that maxed out the Voile strap!!

There was lots of commerce going on in Tsetserleg including nomads bringing meat to the markets.

This was probably the most boring day of riding since we stayed on pavement for the most part trying to make some distance. GET TO THE GOBI!!! It was working but we were getting lucky with not getting hit by the surrounding thunder showers.

We pulled into Kharkhorin (the first capital of Mongolia declared by Chinggis Khaan). For being the old capital of the nation, there's not much history to see here surprisingly.

Just as we pulled under the roof at the gas station to fill up, a thunder storm let loose. We hung around until the lady mongol gas station attendant wanted us to go even though she couldn't pump any gas because of the lightening.

We got to witness some awesome rainbows as we rode for about another hour in search of the pot of gold; our campsite for the night!!

270km for the day. Our biggest day due to the pavement.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #109
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
DAY 12The bikes were showing a little wear. We had all partially or completely lost

Definitely not made for standing on.
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #110
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Beautiful!

Another good reason to have a rack on your bike...

And, as we all know, the wonderfull thing about Volie straps is that they chain together endlessly if needed.

Good to see you have an appreciation for the finer things in life...pickles.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #111
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Are you sure you didn't hit a time-space anomaly resulting in a brief transport to Utardia, where you came upon GISKev, Ryman, and Trackhead having one of their all male "Rave" parties??
I wanna be a mongol rock star.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #112
humanbeing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
NO oil change mentioned in this adventure which is a BiG for longevity . Honda service manual said 1st at 1k km, then EVERY 3k km. The common practice is 1st at 300 km, then 2nd at 1k km then EVERY 2k km.
humanbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #113
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
NO oil change mentioned in this adventure which is a BiG for longevity . Honda service manual said 1st at 1k km, then EVERY 3k km. The common practice is 1st at 300 km, then 2nd at 1k km then EVERY 2k km.
Oh no! How will the world go on!
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #114
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah yeah, we shoulda done an oil change but when you know you're only going to own the bike for the first 1500 miles or so, well......
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #115
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 13
We wake up and the weather is threatening a bit. The low clouds really gave a different perspective to the land.

We break down our camp and fire up the bikes. We've got a goal in mind to make it to the large sand dunes which we calculated would be two more days of riding from this point if all went well.

We punched it, determined to make some distance. We had just a little light rain which hardly slowed us at all.

We roll into the town of Arvaikheer to stock up.

We find some frozen buzz (goat dumplings) and decide to boil them for lunch and then boil our eggs.

Buuz!

Arvaikheer is a medium sized town with a lot of commerce going on and has a black market in the middle of town. We are just nearing the Gobi Desert now.

The riding definitely changed this day to more desert like terrain.

We were right at home. We were also covering a good amount of territory with nice smooth roads. There was a pretty stiff tail wind that we'd been noticing for a while. It was from the north.

Later in the day we made it to the next town. We were happy with our progress and figured if we stopped here we would be on track to make it to the dunes after another full day of riding.

We pulled into town with the wind continuing to be strong from the north. We were looking for a building or something we could pitch our camp behind to shelter from the wind. The skies were not looking that good either.

We bumped into a guy that spoke a little english and he was able to talk to some locals that had a ger that they'd rent us for the night. We decided that with the strong wind and threatening skies it would be a wise idea.

The place was a rat-hole although it doesn't look too bad in this shot. Not long after we settled in, it started raining pretty good.

I liked their use of old bike parts for weights on the roof flaps of the ger.

We fire up the stove. Our menu has changed now from Steppe Stew to Gobi Goulash. Gobi Goulash contains the same ingredients and has the same cooking procedures as Steppe Stew. The only difference is the name.

186km for the day.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 07:46 AM
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #116
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
I sure hope their is a sarcastic tone said with that comment. I would love to date any of your daughters.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #117
george248
runwhatUbrung

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for sharing your ride report and great pictures with us

Ever since reading "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World", I have dreamed of exploring this area by bike. Good choice on riding what the locals ride. Wish you guys the best for the remainder of your adventure.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #118
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Wow! Great trip.

I thought I had been on some adventures but now I just feel like I never even knew what an adventure was. Obviously, it isn't an adventure until you are flipping rocks to decide which way to go after having ridden out a trail to its end in the middle of nowhere in a distant foreign country where no one speaks English. I feel so inadequate.

And then the truck full of meat picture! Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
I think I might have to quit posting my current ride report. I feel like such a wuss.

I am going to have to go find some of your other trips. I have only seen the Utah one.

Thanks for sharing!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #119
mr_bitey
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Again, thanks for sharing. Did people speak Russian at all? And, how was the vodka, did you have a favorite? Looking forward to the Gobi..... That's probably where you changed the oil right? ;)
mr_bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #120
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Please don't bore us with oil change details.
I'd rather see more nekid pics of Buuuuuuurrrrrt.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote