User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 1,375
Toyota Tacoma

Hey guys. I purchased my mom's 99 Tacoma earlier this year. It is really low mileage and in great shape. I had forgotten how much fun these little trucks are. I purchased a ARE campertop from an inmate in Ga. and have installed air bags and heavy duty shocks on the rear. New heavy duty struts for the front and kayak racks are next on my list. I'll post up some pics when I get home later. Love to get some good ideas for my new little adventure vehicle.
warriorcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,255
I did pretty much what you did to my old tacoma. Better a/t tires are always a simple improvement for these trucks. I put some aftermarket leafs on mine to match the rear weight and got rid of my bags. This made the ride a ton better.

I think these trucks are best left pretty stock. A 300 lb bumper and lift is a quick equation for 12 mpg.

Oh and get one of these. Made adventuring easy and they don't weight much more than a shell/cap. The tacoma won't be burdened a bit.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys View Post
I did pretty much what you did to my old tacoma. Better a/t tires are always a simple improvement for these trucks. I put some aftermarket leafs on mine to match the rear weight and got rid of my bags. This made the ride a ton better.

I think these trucks are best left pretty stock. A 300 lb bumper and lift is a quick equation for 12 mpg.

Oh and get one of these. Made adventuring easy and they don't weight much more than a shell/cap. The tacoma won't be burdened a bit.

Cool. Mine is the 2wd with the 4 cyl. Slow as hell but 25 mpg is not too bad. The ride in muchly improved with the airbags. I considered the leafs but wanted to do the work myself and the bags were much simpler and adjustable. This is my 4th Tacoma to own so I am pretty familiar with what they can do. I just wanted mine for camping and to haul the kayak and dirt bike trailer which it does just fine. I still have the F150 for the heavy hauling but I only put about 1000 mi. a year on it and at 12 mpg, that is a good thing. Looking forward to the new struts on the front and may drop a decent stereo in it soon. Oh, going to put a spare battery and inverter in back just behind the fenderwell for camping and work needs.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
Look into long travel suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEyHZ-g7l9M
Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcole View Post
Cool. Mine is the 2wd with the 4 cyl.
I had a 2000 (2wd 2.7L) and it was one of the most trouble free vehicles I've had (my '97 V6 4x4 now that's another story). Keep it stock if you want the good MPGs mine was a PreRunner and got 20mpg at best.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I had a 2000 (2wd 2.7L) and it was one of the most trouble free vehicles I've had (my '97 V6 4x4 now that's another story). Keep it stock if you want the good MPGs mine was a PreRunner and got 20mpg at best.
Yeah, I have owned an 85, 98, 2009 and now the 99, all 4 cyl. engines. The o9 got a mile or two better mileage but I like the basic style of the previous generation. I could steer it with my pinky if I had too. Most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,311
Have you checked the frame for rust? My dad's 99 was so far gone that I could stick my finger through in places. Of course, in Ohio, all cars do that after a while. He did get a pretty good buyout on it though.
12bridn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcole View Post
Yeah, I have owned an 85, 98, 2009 and now the 99, all 4 cyl. engines. The o9 got a mile or two better mileage but I like the basic style of the previous generation. I could steer it with my pinky if I had too. Most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.
Never mind, seems like you know what to look for.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn View Post
Have you checked the frame for rust? My dad's 99 was so far gone that I could stick my finger through in places. Of course, in Ohio, all cars do that after a while. He did get a pretty good buyout on it though.
Wow, just saw your first post about the rust. My mom bought this truck from a friend who purchased it new and I have been around it since new. It has lived mostly in Al. so no road salt or ocean water to be concerned with. I also paid about 1/2 of what they are bringing around here.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 257
Not to make you paranoid but certain tacos had serious rusty frame issues and lots of Toyota pickups rust above the gas tank my old T100 was mint underneath do to the previous owner undercoating right away . Staying on top of coolant making sure it's flushed every now and then to avoid head gasket problems helps too. I've owned a ton of different toyotas and still have one and always thought the V6 was best and most reliable and last they're very easy to steal so get a club or anti theft device so you can enjoy it longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONAME13 View Post
Not to make you paranoid but certain tacos had serious rusty frame issues and lots of Toyota pickups rust above the gas tank my old T100 was mint underneath do to the previous owner undercoating right away . Staying on top of coolant making sure it's flushed every now and then to avoid head gasket problems helps too. I've owned a ton of different toyotas and still have one and always thought the V6 was best and most reliable and last they're very easy to steal so get a club or anti theft device so you can enjoy it longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I always wanted a t-100. My ex GF had one of the first v-6 engines in a 4 runner and it was crap. I have driven others and they seemed nice but never owned one. I have owned a half dozen Toyotas with 4s and they have all been flawless but a bit weak of course. I stay on top of maintenance so I am expecting a long life. Never given much thought to theft but it may be something to consider seeing that this one gets left at boat ramps and on the side of the road regularly.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Yeah, the 4 in my dads prerunner didn't need anything major in 260k+ miles. It's a shame that the frame was Swiss cheese, he'd still be driving it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn View Post
Yeah, the 4 in my dads prerunner didn't need anything major in 260k+ miles. It's a shame that the frame was Swiss cheese, he'd still be driving it.
The 1st gen 6 cyls. were about as weak as the 4s. There are just some vehicles that I do not need to go fast in but a little extra power would always be nice. I always thought that the 4 runners rode like a buck board but you couldn't kill them. The newer ones are true marshmellows. I have and outback with a 2.5 boxer engine and damn that think has some kick, runs on regular and gets great gas mileage. I wonder how that engine would fare in a small pickup.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,620
I have a '14 taco with the v6 4.0 and a stick shift, the engine power is my only complaint with that thing but it'll be remedied when it's paid off and I add a Toyota racing supercharger.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I have a '14 taco with the v6 4.0 and a stick shift, the engine power is my only complaint with that thing but it'll be remedied when it's paid off and I add a Toyota racing supercharger.
Nice, I wonder what is available for the 4 cyl.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: