User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,244
Footwear guide for the nonaverage foot

I have struggled with this issue all of my adult life; I can't find a shoe that fits.

I have flat feet that are wider than average but my big toe to my middle toe are all the same length. Normal feet will taper back from the big toe or the second toe.

My go to runners would be new balance but even those are becoming difficult to source locally and the fit is only acceptable, if a bit sloppy, to get enough room for those cursed toes.

Anyone have any recommendations on blunt toe'd running shoes?

I thought Keene's would do the trick but they were too loose in the toe(clown shoe look).

For hikers I ended up with Merrells that actually fit decent. Could not find a runner from them that fit though.

This can go in any foot direction for folks who fall outside of the average foot.

Thoughts?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,807
I've got giant wide hooves myself.

13EEE, and I have very sharply sloping feet so theres always a giant cavern where my socks can wad up in front of my little toe.

Stoopid clown feets.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
I find that Asics has an extensive variety of sizes and widths.

I wear a size 13.5 EEEE, and you can only get those from Asics!

I do have fairly high arches, so not sure how they will fit your "flat" feet.

I buy from Amazon most of the time.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,928
Same type of toes and 11.5-13 wide here depending on the style. Bates fit me well and I marched/ran countless miles in them though I don't know where to buy them other than the BX.

Clarks have been hit or miss but when they work they're great! My current pair is going on 4.5 years as my primary shoe and it's just starting to come apart on one side which I need to fix but otherwise I should be able to get another 1-2 years out of em no problem. Bad news is the new style of that shoe (part of their un-structured line) just doesn't work for my foot but if you can find a good one they're easily worth the money.

For boots LL Bean 13 W works for me:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61231...ductId=1019691

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #5

Oddometer: 5,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I find that Asics has an extensive variety of sizes and widths.

I wear a size 13.5 EEEE, and you can only get those from Asics!

I do have fairly high arches, so not sure how they will fit your "flat" feet.

I buy from Amazon most of the time.
I can't speak for your monkey toes but I have flat arches and have had issues with plantar fasciitis. Asics running shoes are the most comfortable thing I have found. Those and the redwing power arch insoles and I rarely have any pain these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
might look into a Altra shoe. they are pretty comfy for me. although, they are kinda hideous.
lochridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochridge View Post
might look into a Altra shoe. they are pretty comfy for me. although, they are kinda hideous.
As was recommended on another thread.

I need to see where I can try some of this stuff on in Vegas!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 880
I like redwings but I wish they financed
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
cptmoney
Two wheels, only one seat

Oddometer: 521
Flat feet, and super small here. Jealous of you guys. At least you're not shopping in the ladies/kids section!
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
10-11 EEEE feet here.

For running, because I'm also flatfooted, Brooks Beasts.

A physio-therapist recommended Beasts to me years ago and I haven't looked back. I usually have two pairs in rotation at a time. Newer pair as indoor gym/running shoes and the older pair for outdoors.

They're pricey ($170/pr) but more than worth it IMHO. For the use and abuse I give them, they hold up well and with two pairs in rotation, I get 2-3 years from a pair on average - and the quality doesn't seem to have declined over the years.

I found a EEEE width pair of Merrell Pulsate Wide hiking shoes a couple of months ago and have been wearing them daily in a rugged environment.

Very comfortable and yesterday I wore them for a 7 km hike over pretty rugged, rocky terrain (i.e. lowering our black Lab down over rocks type of terrain). I've owned a few pairs of Merrells over the years and while they're comfortable (usually) they don't last long. I take that into account whenever I do buy a pair.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
10-11 EEEE feet here.

For running, because I'm also flatfooted, Brooks Beasts.

A physio-therapist recommended Beasts to me years ago and I haven't looked back. I usually have two pairs in rotation at a time. Newer pair as indoor gym/running shoes and the older pair for outdoors.

They're pricey ($170/pr) but more than worth it IMHO. For the use and abuse I give them, they hold up well and with two pairs in rotation, I get 2-3 years from a pair on average - and the quality doesn't seem to have declined over the years.

I found a EEEE width pair of Merrell Pulsate Wide hiking shoes a couple of months ago and have been wearing them daily in a rugged environment.

Very comfortable and yesterday I wore them for a 7 km hike over pretty rugged, rocky terrain (i.e. lowering our black Lab down over rocks type of terrain). I've owned a few pairs of Merrells over the years and while they're comfortable (usually) they don't last long. I take that into account whenever I do buy a pair.
Those are the Merrell's I have. Been doing great and I have done some 10 mile hike/runs. Heavy but they are holding up well.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I wear 10.5 EEEE and have a hard time finding shoes..couldn't imagine trying to find something in size 13+ in EEEE.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #13
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
I can't speak for your monkey toes but I have flat arches and have had issues with plantar fasciitis. Asics running shoes are the most comfortable thing I have found. Those and the redwing power arch insoles and I rarely have any pain these days.
Ditto
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Nonaverage Feet

I'll bend the talk another way. My feet are 13 A and have to wear orthotics for collapsed arches, etc and a 1/2" lift on the left. Finding shoes for my ski's is a mess, just like for your paddles. I feel for you all. I have a pair of custom made hiking boots, very comfortable and great to walk in, albeit very pricey by Randy Merrell (the shoes with his name are a company he started many years ago).

Like others I have found the Brooks line the best fit, they do come in a narrow width. The ones I like the best are the Addiction, a walking shoe.
corsair4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Interesting. I used to wear Brooks a long time ago, but have been in Asics forever and really like them.
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: