User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Redbean OP
Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 5,787
Cutting the Cord/broadcast TV/ streaming

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything so....

I want to cut the cord, paying way to much for cable and with the new technologies out, it seems foolish to continue.

My current setup is three TVs on cable, each with cable company provided DVR. One TV is "smart" and I'm paying for Amazon prime and Netflix. Have Internet speed currently averaging about 30mps and a nice router two channels on 5.0 and two on 2.4.

Looking into Roku type devises for dumb TVs and would like to add one antenna (if possible) for local reception on all three TVs.

Looking at antennaweb.org, it appears that all the stations are 30-40 miles from home. House is two story and would prefer to put the antenna in the attic for ease of installation.

As everyone has become accustomed to DVR, I'll be needing the capability for each TV.

Ideas?
Redbean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,615
Small media center computer loaded with XBMC and an internet connection. Combined with a $5 homemade antennae, it is all you will ever need.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Redbean OP
Inanely Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Small media center computer loaded with XBMC and an internet connection. Combined with a $5 homemade antennae, it is all you will ever need.
It may be all I ever need but the family has their expectations.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,826
I also used that website to figure out what to do when I got rid of the dish. We have about the same distance as you to the stations. We pick up a bit more than they said we would. here's my thread asking some of the same questions:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912514
Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I haven't had cable since 2009. Fast internet connection, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. Anything else, I obtain from my swash-buckling friends.

My usual setup: Western Digital "WDTV Live". Cost me about $100 a few years ago. Ethernet port, two USB ports, HDMI connection to the TV and a decent user interface. Has all the major streaming apps, and supports just about any file format. 1TB hard drive in a fan-cooled enclosure hooked up to it.

The new WDTV has a built in hard drive. Roku's are nice for streaming, but don't have internal storage, or any way to access outside storage (unless you can read over network -- haven't played with one enough).

Jailbroken Apple TV can read network storage -- I've got a friend who uses this setup. I don't know exactly how it's set up, but he can resume things on any TV in the house (as well as on his jailbroken iPad). The iPad or his iPhone (also jailbroken) double as remotes for the setup.

I've tried dedicated media servers hooked straight to a TV, but don't like the pixel density for running windows (you either have to make the icons look stupidly big to read text well, or run some form of splash interface).

I don't like Apple stuff, but the jailbroken everything seems to be a great setup if you can figure it all out. The WDTV with a harddrive is probably the easiest.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,183
Roku connected to router, netflix and plex server. Utorrent through cyberghost (VPN to Germany) and get movies. Share though out the house with plex server. Easy and CHEAP. Mohu OTA flap antenna.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
My Direct TV bill runs 179.00 a month that's 10 boxes 2 are in the camper
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbean View Post
It may be all I ever need but the family has their expectations.
They won't be disappointed.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 71
I don't have a TV anymore as of 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Anything I want to watch I can get on the internets (usually for free).

You end up with a bunch of spare time that you don't even realize is being sucked up by the shit on the tube.
I know it's a cost thing for you, but seriously, cut that cable and there are many other benefits other than a fatter wallet =)
zaTTaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
How tech savvy are you would be the question?

If not very (or the family is not very), Tivo would be your easiest, but most costly, option. If you are tech savvy, there's a million ways to set up media recording devices.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
Redbean OP
Inanely Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I also used that website to figure out what to do when I got rid of the dish. We have about the same distance as you to the stations. We pick up a bit more than they said we would. here's my thread asking some of the same questions:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912514
Thanks, I guess the first step is to obtain a decent broadcast signal and go from there. I've tried to get a signal from this location in the past with a cheap rabbit ears type antenna with a booster, but no go. Will have to try a better antenna in the attic or on the roof.

I have a hard drive connected to my router that works fine for the computers but the TVs, (even the smart TV) doesn't see it. I'm willing to lay out some cash to get this done as I'll be saving about $100/month by dropping cable. Looked into the Tivo stuff and it's expensive. The Roku stuff is cheaper

Would love to go mostly wireless as this is and older two story house and running wires in it is difficult.

thanks for the responses.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
Redbean OP
Inanely Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
How tech savvy are you would be the question?

If not very (or the family is not very), Tivo would be your easiest, but most costly, option. If you are tech savvy, there's a million ways to set up media recording devices.
I'm a little tech savvy, and enjoy the leaning process. However, wife not so much, son has learning disability. Wife can learn what I teach her, for son just need and easy way for him to watch and listen to recorded media.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 854
Timely thread.

Comcast just bumped me for $20 more this month.

It has me thinking about cutting the cord.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
Redbean OP
Inanely Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
My Direct TV bill runs 179.00 a month that's 10 boxes 2 are in the camper
I'm paying Charter ~$170/month for three boxes (DVR) Internet and phone. Been looking into the TiVo thing but they saddle you with monthly charges and the reviews I've read said that they don't work well wireless. Also some issues with over the air signals.

Right now leaning toward Roku. Also going to look into Plex server, as I have no idea what it is.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
I told DirectTV to lick my rim after about the thirtieth time I had to call only to be lied to AGAIN about the astronomical charges on my bill. Was told MANY times with the package I had, it would never be over $68.00 monthly, but always had bills in excess of 90. One month it was 140. Anyway, I have (due to my rural location) been using only OTA HD, and streaming. Just got a free month of Amazon and so far so good. Ditched Netflix due to quality issues. The quality of the picture streaming is acceptable to pretty god so no biggie. I only find myself missing a few channels from the dish.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: