User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #121
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I used my rice cooker for the rice and steamer for the broccoli... and my cast iron skillet for the ribeye...

Skillet worked great but a lot of smoke...

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #122
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 418
You had your pan way to hot. Cast iron gets super hot super fast and stays super hot.

Steak looks awesome though!

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #123
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
You had your pan way to hot. Cast iron gets super hot super fast and stays super hot.

Steak looks awesome though!
So what do you recommend I do next time?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #124
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
^ I would say and yes, and that steel pan will yield greater hot spots at the flame. I often cook on a similar steel wok and while it is good for rapid cooking it does not cook with the same properties as cast iron.
That'd be because the wok is much thinner / lighter, not the material itself, no?
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #125
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Your pan was super hot...so next time just dont get it as hot. Butter/oil has a smoking point and you dont want to get to that point. Get it hot enough to melt the butter on contact. Cast iron gets much more hot faster than normal pans.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #126
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post

I never cook a steak in a cast iron pan anything higher than medium.

Unless your goal was to quickly sear the steak, then transfer it to a hot oven or some other cooking method to finish it.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #127
SeaDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I haven't read each and every posting here, but I have been using my Lodge 10" on a ceramic top stove as opposed to gas or electric burners. Before buying the skillet I tried to get some answers about using a cast iron skillet in that manner and didn't really get any satisfactory answers, so just went ahead and got the skillet, seasoned it as directed and have been using it ever since. Just washing in water and a bit of scrubbing. Anybody have experience with a similar arrangement? Is there anything I have been neglecting?
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #128
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I haven't read each and every posting here, but I have been using my Lodge 10" on a ceramic top stove as opposed to gas or electric burners. Before buying the skillet I tried to get some answers about using a cast iron skillet in that manner and didn't really get any satisfactory answers, so just went ahead and got the skillet, seasoned it as directed and have been using it ever since. Just washing in water and a bit of scrubbing. Anybody have experience with a similar arrangement? Is there anything I have been neglecting?

Nope. My cast iron has worked just fine on my glass/ceramic top stove in both of my houses.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #129
SeaDog
Adventurer

Thanks for the response, X. I thought I had it right.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #130
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I never cook a steak in a cast iron pan anything higher than medium.

Unless your goal was to quickly sear the steak, then transfer it to a hot oven or some other cooking method to finish it.
That's the method I use for tenderloin...a modified Alton Brown system. I get the cast iron skillet very hot, sear both sides for about 20 seconds each, roll the sides around the pan, transfer to a cold pan and into a 350 oven.

I use a remote readout thermo & pull them out at 120. 1 mm of well done sear on each side, 1 1/2" of perfectly done, warm & red tenderloin in the middle On edit: if I use the cast iron into the oven, the side that was touching the bottom would have 1/4"-1/2" of well done to it as there is so much residual heat in the pan.

I'll toss some beef stock & red wine in the pan and reduce that while the steaks are getting happy, once they're done, pull the pan, drain that juice into the sauce, give them a few minutes to get happy then chow down. Now I'm getting all & I haven't even had breakfast yet
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #131
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
That's the method I use for tenderloin...a modified Alton Brown system. I get the cast iron skillet very hot, sear both sides for about 20 seconds each, roll the sides around the pan, transfer to a cold pan and into a 350 oven.
Try it the other way and see how you like it - oven, then pan sear. It's cook's illustrated's preferred way to prevent over cooking on the outside of the steak...

http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/food_bar/index.cfm/2008/2/18/How-to-Cook-the-Perfect-Steak

PoundSand screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 11:27 AM
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #132
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
Try it the other way and see how you like it - oven, then pan sear. It's cook's illustrated's preferred way to prevent over cooking on the outside of the steak...

http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/f...-Perfect-Steak

Sounds interesting. I'll try that next time I get some tenderloin.

It's basically what I do when I smoke steaks. Leave them on the smoker until they hit about 110, sear both sides to get some color, chow down.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I think the most important step is to let the steak come up to room temp before starting this. Running from 70-120 is easier than from 35 to 120
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #133
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Main thing with using it on a glass cooktop is DONT DROP IT. Sounds like you are doing it right just add a little oil to it after you wash it. If you want a really good Lodge and have some sort of circular sander, take some 60 grit to the cooking surface until its as smooth as glass and th!!en reseason it. Makes a good pan great.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #134
SeaDog
Adventurer

Yeah, I thought about that part about not dropping it on the glass stove.
Will try the sanding routine, but by hand and using 100 grit which is what I have right now.
Thanks to all who have responded to my queries.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #135
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
Your pan was super hot...so next time just dont get it as hot. Butter/oil has a smoking point and you dont want to get to that point. Get it hot enough to melt the butter on contact. Cast iron gets much more hot faster than normal pans.
Thank you for your suggestion, minimal amount of smoke, my kitchen fan and windows open could handle it... I didn't take pics, but nicely cooked steaks.

I will keep at it!

Cooked some nice bacon and eggs this morning too. This skillet is meeting my expectations! :)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: