Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post

My only beef is WTF with losing .5G of gas. Who thought that was a good idea. The only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire.
Probably because the new one gets better mileage and about the same range anyway.

I am sure ~TOBASCO~ can do an 8 Gal conversion for you

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Had the DL650A for 45,000 miles, and just Sold my Tenere with 15K. The Tenere was far more intuitive (to me) on hard dirt surfaces or rock...loved it, The DL really felt just as planted on groomed dirt, but on rocky or hard loose stuff the Tenere was just plain better (I say all that because there is ubiquitous sand here, aka kryptonite).

And bombing down the highway at 100+...that f'n Tenere was a time machine. Still, some reason, watching it pull away on Chip's trailer, I didn't care, had my fun with it, but it wasn't me.

So...picking up a 2012 DL650 tomorrow. Cannot wait. As mentioned, fuel economy, lighter...really happy with the plan.

My only beef is WTF with losing .5G of gas. Who thought that was a good idea. The only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire.
I would be curious how does the 2012 DL feel after the ST.
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Rustycage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by parigi View Post
i would be curious how does the 2012 dl feel after the st.
+1
Rustycage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Agree with that it probably feels better to take the cheaper bike in my case a AUD$6K bike in rough terrain instead of a AUD$20K bike. I make my comparison with the older DL vs ST and so far it is a 50-50 chance that I`m swapping.
Do not favor: more than double insurance premium, higher fuel cost, many thousands more in purchase cost plus the ST is really beautiful at least compared to the DL so take it on bad tracks with the potential to scratch the bike or even worse but it is mainly in the beginning you are really careful.
The plus sides would be: shaft drive, comfier, better for the rough stuff and the looks....
Will test ride with ms (she said ok to purchase but she is not the one that has to pay for it all) tomorrow.
Do not understand why the bikes are still quite expensive when our AUD$ is very strong?
Why do we still have to pay rego for every single bike since I can only ride one at a time, same goes for part of the insurance.
Anyway motorbikes is a big part of life and is almost priceless.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Agree with that it probably feels better to take the cheaper bike in my case a AUD$6K bike in rough terrain instead of a AUD$20K bike. I make my comparison with the older DL vs ST and so far it is a 50-50 chance that I`m swapping.
Do not favor: more than double insurance premium, higher fuel cost, many thousands more in purchase cost plus the ST is really beautiful at least compared to the DL so take it on bad tracks with the potential to scratch the bike or even worse but it is mainly in the beginning you are really careful.
The plus sides would be: shaft drive, comfier, better for the rough stuff and the looks....
Will test ride with ms (she said ok to purchase but she is not the one that has to pay for it all) tomorrow.
Do not understand why the bikes are still quite expensive when our AUD$ is very strong?
Why do we still have to pay rego for every single bike since I can only ride one at a time, same goes for part of the insurance.
Anyway motorbikes is a big part of life and is almost priceless.
The DL is still a great value bike, in either size, as with the DR650. I almost did the DR650 swap because I wanted something that felt more at home off road.

The funny thing is the DL was not such a great value bike at first, but they held the price at that point for so long that it got better every year. Putting no development into the bike for 8-10 years also helps and minimal development every 8 will help a bit more.

Can't ague the value for money case. Unfortunately if you want "better" or different there is not so much value in the big boys at the moment, except the Versys 1000, if you want to play in the "jacked up street bike" segment that seems like pretty good value as well.

But in my case the S10 did so much pretty well and was so close to what I was after that I knew it would be a long term proposition. It was better value on Oz than others so that was not a problem.

As it ages and gets beaten up I am sure I will push it further, but I know now that I am less likely to dump the thing that I was on the Strom.

Each to their own. A beaten up old DR650 was looking pretty good to me as well for a while there. I almost had two bikes but managed to avoid it.

As far as the insurance Companies go, I noticed that QBE? was asking me about mileage and Shannons do a similar thing. I am sure that it doesn't add up to the same price as one bike doing the same Km though.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 06:56 PM
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #21
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
So...picking up a 2012 DL650 tomorrow. Cannot wait. As mentioned, fuel economy, lighter...really happy with the plan.

Initially I thought the same. But consumption is down a bit from the previous version, so range remains roughly just about the same, it´s just cheaper to run.

Personally if I had the choice, I WOULD take the extra 2 liters in the tank, too, but I guess styling came in the way. The 2004-2011 650 was strongly based on the 1000-version, whereas the new one is “made” to be a 650. I´ve got a 2007 and 2012 right now.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #22
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,335
Graham, I love that gas tank! :-) I love things that hold a lot of gas, I guess that's why I loved my old man so much. :-)

I'll let you guys know I'm on my way and will pick up at about 930 this morning.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Test rode the XTZ with my Ms today.
All good: Beautiful bike, enough power, very good brakes even on dirt roads, did not mind the traction control even if it stopped wheelies (got my other bikers for that), seat felt good, pillion was happy and noted better suspension than the DL.

Dislikes: Handlebar vibes! Not good but having said that the DL had also some minor in the beginning plus I rode with racing gloves but still it will be a big minus in my book.
The average fuel consumption was 8.2 litres per 100 km`s (according to the onboard computer) which is way higher than the DL even if I would trash the Strom.
Turbulence from the screen is bad but not as bad as the Strom before I removed the screen,can be rectified.
Would I buy it? If I can be convinced that the vibes can be rectified and I can get a very good deal maybe I will trade the DL but at the moment, no.
Thanks for all the input, I might buy the "big" Yamaha one day but not yet.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Test rode the XTZ with my Ms today.
All good: Beautiful bike, enough power, very good brakes even on dirt roads, did not mind the traction control even if it stopped wheelies (got my other bikers for that), seat felt good, pillion was happy and noted better suspension than the DL.

Dislikes: Handlebar vibes! Not good but having said that the DL had also some minor in the beginning plus I rode with racing gloves but still it will be a big minus in my book.
The average fuel consumption was 8.2 litres per 100 km`s (according to the onboard computer) which is way higher than the DL even if I would trash the Strom.
Turbulence from the screen is bad but not as bad as the Strom before I removed the screen,can be rectified.
Would I buy it? If I can be convinced that the vibes can be rectified and I can get a very good deal maybe I will trade the DL but at the moment, no.
Thanks for all the input, I might buy the "big" Yamaha one day but not yet.
Vibes: I didn't like them on the S10 when I first got it, but the Wee I had before it was worse in this area. I put on some grip puppies and it reduced the vibe significantly. After 10,000 kms, they are barely noticable on the S10.
Fuel consumption: For the same given riding conditions, the S10 chews about 0.5l/100kms more than the Wee at speeds less than 100 kph and about the same or less above that speed, all for a whole lot more poke.
Turbulence: Out of the box, there is a bit of buffeting but, like with the Wee, easily fixed with a Madstad-like bracket

Mind you, all my comparisons are with a 2006 Wee. I believe that the 2012 Wee is better in all these areas. If I was budget conscious and buying again, I'd certainly consider a 2012 Wee, or a Versys 1000 for a bit of extra poke and TC.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #25
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Typical fuel consumption for me 1700Km including 200km dirt / mud road 5L/100Km. That's basically sticking to the speed limit, you know. ahem, unless I'm looking at the road that is. I see 4.5-4.7KL/100 on the slab. (corrected) at the speed limit.

Vibes? On the slab better than the DL1000. On full throttle about the same. Not as good as the SV I had, but I kind of expected two 600cc pistons to give some kind of thump.

Mine has 10,000Km on it. I have never ridden a brand new one.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #26
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ST I test rode was brand new and I did not baby it so that could be the reason for a higher fuel consumption and vibes are most likely worse when it is new as well.
My DL had vibes but put grip puppies, Throttlemeister end bar weights and normally wear thicker gloves which helped against vibes.
Tried different screens, Mad stad bracket but it did not help much with the famous V-Strom turbulence so I just simply removed the screen and all completely = bliss, suppose it is easy to do with the XTZ as well or maybe try the shorty screen from Calsci?
Lots of people thought the XTZ did not have a lot of oomph but I personally think it is plenty especially for the dirt.
Think it is the most beautiful adventure tourer out there and it seems to be very capable in the dirt for that size.
It actually felt as light or even lighter than my 2007 DL650, amazing!
Just have to wait to find out what the dealership can do for me.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

So, picked up the V-Strom last Friday, sight unseen, loaded it and brought it home.

A few hundred miles and the impressions in contrast to the Super Tenere were stark. Feels lighter all the way around, the engine is smooth as butter and it's quiet.

All stating the obvious that the two completely different mills make the initial impression, throttle response, everything different. Made the STZ feel like a tractor--BUT, I LOVED that about that bike. It was cool as shit.

The DL just doesn't make you say "FUUUUUUCK". It won't it can't...but it is smooth as glass in my mind in comparison.

DL feels thinner, lighter, the tank tapers in a way that felt very different when standing--the STZ was definitely OK here, but the 'lightness" and "thin-ness" were what stuck with me.

There felt to be significantly less leg room on the DL, overall, not as roomy, on a 140 mile ride, I was more cramped and will be changing the stock bars out--the DL factory bars have too much sweep for me, angled too far back. I never noticed

NONE of that stuff matters....

The DL is a quintessential commuter, to me...and the XTZ1200 is a true full-size adventure bike, time machine, etc.

I bought the DL because I wanted to get back to something simple to commute on, that could do light touring duty if it arised...and sold the XTZ to free up a couple of grand for Jiu Jitsu lessons--no kidding--so take all that if you wonder why I'd sell the Tenere...just a little more bike than I needed.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
Parigi
Hoinar

Thanks MoBill.
I test rode the new Strom and the NC700X and I liked both of them, with the balance tilting towards the NC because it was smoother. The little Strom was rev-happier but a little buzzy through the pegs and frame at around 4000 RPM. It almost felt like it needed a TBS, but I know that you cannot balance the throttles on these things. On the other hand I read from people like you about being really smooth. Do you have that 4-5 thousand RPM buzz on yours?
I am also considering the Super Tenere, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Parigi screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 08:14 AM
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

I definitely noticed some buzz at that RPM...but the Tenere is known for a bit of that as well...

My personal take is that no motorcycle is without it. Just me...I did some "princess and the pea" poking of guys that complained about the Tenere's buzz, I really never notice those things.

DL buzz at 4k+? Yes. Noteworthy? No. To me, totally normal.

I am replacing the bars so that my hands aren't canted, and when my hands get sleepy I change my grip...I know more stating the obvious, but just my take on both bikes.

If you've the money and the place to ride it, get the Tenere, stepping out the rear wheel in TCS Mode 2 by itself is worth the price of admission. Made me feel like a superstar, which I'm not.

The Strom, I feel happy with it because I have that "poor kid" reflex where when I have something really expensive I feel guilty about it.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
Parigi
Hoinar

I have that reflex too, so I am trying to figure out the sweet spot between cost, reliability and performance. Thanks again.