User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Josh_182 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ktm oil stuff up.. Help please

Long story... Bike is a 2003 640 adventure. So I was out riding, oil started spraying everywhere, got the bike home and noticed it was coming out from up near the front of the fuel tank in behind the forks where you burp the oil ( the nut was loose ). The bike when sitting straight showing no oil in sight glass.

So I get some oil and having a quick look through the owners manual I start pouring oil into this hole. I then notice that I can fill the oil from down at the engine crank case, I tip a fair bit of oil in there and oil is showing in sight glass while leaning on 2x4, if I stand bike completely level the level drops to below the lower line. Have I completely stuffed up? A better look at the manual shows I should have filled bike with oiled then burped it at the position where oil was leaking from. Please advise me what I should do, sorry it's long, have only had bike for a month and am worried I have buggered up big time. Thanks, josh
Josh_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I wouldn't worry about it mate, tighten the bleed bolt up,(that's the one your on about at the top of the front tube) start the bike and let it idle till its at normal operating temperature, switch off and see what level the oil is at,(make sure the bike is level on flat ground when you do this) the oil should reach the bottom mark on the sight glass when cold,(being a bit above(I do mean just a bit above) wont hurt it). If you need to add a wee bit just pour it in via the black plug on the engine casing.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Josh_182 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thanks

Thanks mate, I will fill the bike with enough oil so that when it is on level ground sitting straight up the oil level is just touching the bottom marker, it currently touches it with bike leant to left hand side on stand.
Josh_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,072
Drain the oil - save it if it's clean - and start over as per the standard oil change procedure (fill engine, fill downtube and burp). You will have peace of mind knowing it's correct again.