Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
marcjlmd OP
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 31
2015 1290 Super Adventure Alternator Output?

Anyone know the alternator output for this new beast? I know it is about 450W for the 2014 1190. Hope it has been beefed up some for the 2015 1290.

Marc
marcjlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,605
You can find what you need here....

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/..._overview.html
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
paidoutcomes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Best guess

So we know that we will get 450w based on past history. We need double that to satisfy our electronic needs...
Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
emuooz
Tyre Rooter

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidoutcomes View Post
So we know that we will get 450w based on past history. We need double that to satisfy our electronic needs...
Yes because the people buying these bikes will want to be plugging one of these new KTM espresso machines in.........

Full Member......Quorn Schnitzel Club
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mUP17SaZA5QYc5
emuooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
IgorBorisenko
adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Could someone explain me HOW will you use 450 watts?
Having in mind that now thay went with LEDs for the main lights freeing additional 70 watts

IgorBorisenko screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 03:27 AM
IgorBorisenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,267
450W @ 12V is 37.5 amps, ample capacity to operate heated vaginal and anal vibrators for rider and passenger

..................... simultaneously.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,263
I don't hate on you guys that park your bikes and sip your Starbucks when the weather gets too cold for you. Why are you hating on those of us who choose to still ride even when it's so cold that we put on a heated liner?

Whatever bike (of this type) that I ride needs to have enough spare amps to power my electric liner and my g/f's, as we will still ride even when it gets that cold.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorBorisenko View Post
Could someone explain me HOW will you use 450 watts?
Having in mind that now thay went with LEDs for the main lights freeing additional 70 watts
My heated jacket will consume 90W, by itself, if run at full power. Add the pants liner, socks and glove liners and that adds another 60W.

Double that for a passenger and you've got 300W being consumed just for heated gear when it's REALLY cold out.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
IgorBorisenko
adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
My heated jacket will consume 90W, by itself, if run at full power. Add the pants liner, socks and glove liners and that adds another 60W.

Double that for a passenger and you've got 300W being consumed just for heated gear when it's REALLY cold out.
Maybe just get a good touring suit, boots, gloves + thermo base layers? Thanks god now all the fancy fabrics and suits are available for all sorts of riding types. I even never use the heated grips after switching to winter gloves in november as it gets freaking hot in them. And can not even imagine to have the pants, jacket, socks and gloves all connected to power with wires..
The only conditions where I see i could use active body heating is with the temps below -10C, but in that case people usually ride a snow mobile rather to a motorcycle as they still did not invent a moto solution for the icy asphalt roads.

PS now with the temp of 10C I am running a Modeka Ventura GT suit with the thermo liner out and with no base layer.
IgorBorisenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,095
Quote:
Maybe just get a good touring suit, boots, gloves + thermo base layers? Thanks god now all the fancy fabrics and suits are available for all sorts of riding types. I even never use the heated grips after switching to winter gloves in november as it gets freaking hot in them. And can not even imagine to have the pants, jacket, socks and gloves all connected to power with wires..
The only conditions where I see i could use active body heating is with the temps below -10C, but in that case people usually ride a snow mobile rather to a motorcycle as they still did not invent a moto solution for the icy asphalt roads.

PS now with the temp of 10C I am running a Modeka Ventura GT suit with the thermo liner out and with no base layer.
Exactly. Even at -30 to -40 we ride snow machines without heated gear. Layer up and you're good to go. Nothing to stop working and if you get stuck out in the sticks you won't freeze to death. If you don't have a snow machine, spike the tires on your scooter and get out and ride.

crashmaster screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 08:03 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:

I have a good touring suit. My Aerostich Roadcrafter is good for temps up to around 80F by itself. And by adding only the heated liner, with no other layers (beyond what I would wear in warm weather), it is good down to the lowest temps I would ride in (i.e. down to where there is snow or ice). Why would I want to add a bunch of extra bulk that may or may not keep me warm for many continuous hours in the saddle when I add one thin layer that will keep as warm as I want to be indefinitely?

Without active heating, you are always and continuously losing heat. More layers just slows the loss. But, EVENTUALLY, you will get cold, if you go long enough.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Exactly. Even at -30 to -40 we ride snow machines without heated gear. Layer up and you're good to go. If you don't have a snow machine, spike the tires on your scooter and get out and ride.
You ride them for 15 - 20 hours straight? Or are there some visits to your KTM espresso machine mixed in there?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
You ride them for 15 - 20 hours straight? Or are there some visits to your KTM espresso machine mixed in there?
15 in -40? Haven't done that, but 12 hours out deep into the negative range for sure. An espresso machine is a great idea. I carry my espresso pot and stove on the sled. No electrics required.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
15 in -40? Haven't done that, but 12 hours out deep into the negative range for sure. An espresso machine is a great idea. I carry my espresso pot and stove on the sled. No electrics required.
That long in that cold is definitely impressive. But, maybe you're part polar bear. Or maybe I'm a big old wuss. Either way, I'll take a layer of electrics and a layer of crash protection over the 17 layers of non-electrics that I would need to keep my weenie ass from being cold.

From what I hear about snowmobiling, I'm guessing you're probably working and producing some extra body heat, too. I reckon that keeps you a bit warmer than if you were in the same temps at 80MPH just sitting there holding the throttle open.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
That long in that cold is definitely impressive. But, maybe you're part polar bear. Or maybe I'm a big old wuss. Either way, I'll take a layer of electrics and a layer of crash protection over the 17 layers of non-electrics that I would need to keep my weenie ass from being cold.

From what I hear about snowmobiling, I'm guessing you're probably working and producing some extra body heat, too. I reckon that keeps you a bit warmer than if you were in the same temps at 80MPH just sitting there holding the throttle open.
You acclimate after a while, thats for sure. Mountain riding, yes you're working, a lot like off-road riding.

However, a lot of guys ride the Tok to Dawson on snow machines at 80 mph+ in -40 or lower temps without heated gear, but it aint 12 hours at those speeds either. If you've never experienced it, -40 is freaking cold

I have a warm n safe jacket and I like it on the bike ok for some stuff. Long days in the saddle in the 20's and 30F I can run the jacket and the grips and be fine. Keep the core warm and the rest stays warm. However for stuff like a week out in the Bolivian altiplano at 15,000+ feet the layers of clothing are a much better choice than heated gear, but that's just me.

Still, 450W is more than enough to keep 2 people warm in very cold temps IMO, and there is no reason to think the stator output on the 1290 SA would be any different than the 1290 SDR.

crashmaster screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 08:49 AM