Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #121
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Yeah - it's a two man show (from what I can tell) and the guys were really cool. It was a fun time up until he said something like "let's go see your bike" - at which point I almost died of embarrassment (see KLRE build). In the end - he gave me an 'atta boy for trying and a pep talk about how each subsequent project will be better - just keep working and setting the bar higher. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.
I've never met the man but every article or video I have seen of him he is a class act. The street trackers he builds are unreal and Barnett's Bikecraft has a write up of a Triumph Scrambler build that is also off the charts.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #122
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Can the brake control system be flipped so that it pulls the rod and lever instead of pushing?I have done this to some older DBs.
I have no idea - it's worth a look inside... but even then you have to preload the tension on the brake I assume, which still brings up the free-spinning foot control problem.

Quote:
Barnett's Bikecraft has a write up of a Triumph Scrambler build that is also off the charts.
Yep - that's where I read about him - figured I'd take a look since he's local. A coworker buddy has a Thruxton he's thinking about giving over to the shop when he deploys. Expensive stuff, but it's certainly done right.

edit: got the tank done. Looks like hell, but it seems to be holding fuel, so whatever. Actually, it looks so bad I should dent the rest of it up and go rat bike style. Brushed the fenders and tank up and sprayed a quick layer of spray-bomb clear. The conditions aren't perfect - but it's cheap and easy - can't wait to see how it turns out. Also, I'm on a timeline and it looks like I may be gone this weekend. Pics to follow.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:13 PM
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #123
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Question Broken brake

Just wondering if you have called Ryca and asked about the brake problem?
Maybe they forgot to include a necessary part?
Always best to go to the source first for help.

Of course they might say "You did what???"

On he other hand, (the left one) they might tell you that "nobody uses the rear brake so it is just for looks."

But I am not a fan of non-folding foot pegs on any bike so I don't think much of their (Joker Machine) rear sets...
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #124
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Just wondering if you have called Ryca and asked about the brake problem?
I think the video explains it well. First they start off with "we've had a lot of questions about the rear brake," then go on to show you how to set up the brake the way that nobody will tell you is right. I'm quite certain that the rearset kit was complete and it's just a design issue. I'll make it right eventually.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #125
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well - had a few good hours after work today. Parts now in, the exhaust came on:

As well as somebody parts:

I've got some wiring and misc stuff to wrap up before the tank goes on. Still gotta paint the side covers and do quite a few little odds and ends.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #126
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Coming along nicely
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #127
Tenni126
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
You know, I think I'd be tempted to just beat the snot out of the entire tank with a ball peen and make it look like one of those old Datsun hub caps. Then shine 'er up a bit and clear coat it. Done.
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #128
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenni126 View Post
You know, I think I'd be tempted to just beat the snot out of the entire tank with a ball peen and make it look like one of those old Datsun hub caps. Then shine 'er up a bit and clear coat it. Done.
Well dude - here's the thing... I really thought I could fix it.

After I realized I overestimated what I could do, I suddenly figured I'd prob F@$% up any other type of work and didn't feel up to anything else. I already clearcoated the tank and she seems good for now.

I'm hoping to get lots done tomorrow, but this weather is no good and I have no garage now... which reminds me, I prob got water in the carb... I may be missing a cap or two. Oh well - maybe I can paint the side covers tomorrow if the weather sucks and then take the KLRE out.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #129
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well, it was one of those days... I really miss my garage. Lots of mistakes today, I'm still trying to get over the crud, and my pants caught on fire.

Some of my clearcoat wasn't good enough, apparently. It looked good for most of the week, but now with all the rain, parts of all of the pieces I clearcoated were rusting, so I pulled everything back off and added more clearcoat. I threw some paint on the side covers and cleared those as well, but the finish went a tad askew when it started to rain. I was under a roof which apparently isn't very waterproof.

I also finished up the wiring (with the exception of the blinkers, horn, and tail lights) and changed the oil and filter, then made sure the bike turned over. Once the tank is done drying out, I'll see if I can get her running. Can't wait to be done and have this thing on the road. Of course, I'm outta here soon, so I'll probably sell before I even get any good miles on her.

The chain that comes with the kit is a roller with no finish... ordered a gold x-ring off Amazon today. I hate crappy chains, plus I had a tough time with it today (don't ask). Also, the chain doesn't clear one of the bolts that holds on the rearset bracket... checked a YouTube how-to vid and it turns out I'm missing a buttonhead capscrew. E-mail sent off to Ryca - they've been good about missing pieces so far, so I expect I'll get a new bolt in soon.

I took a look at the rear brake, and I think that making an adjustable up-stop will be easy enough... just need to find the motivation to fab it up - I'm a little spent now.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 04:11 PM
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #130
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Humidity will screw up any painy job, need a dryer/warmer day )-:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #131
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Alrighty - pretty good day today!

Put all the pieces back on and wired up the headlight/tail light. I put the tank on, but man - that really sucked. It's *tight* fit and not at all easy, especially with the seat on. Petcock must be removed too. I really worried about scratching up the new clearcoat. I think I did OK, but maybe some of the underside got nicked. Then I found out that the fuel line is just an inch too short... good thing I had some spare hose laying around.

I got the indicator lights onto the tank panel and put the ignition on as well. Funny thing though - I way over extended the wiring on that piece. I think it said 22-24"... I now think that meant overall, not to add 24". Oh well, better too long than too short (that's what she said).

I put some gas in the tank and she fired right up! The carb may need some tweaking, but she idles OK. In the "ON" position the carb wouldn't prime, which sucks... I hate vacuum operated petcocks... you're just begging to break down.

I did find that the tach doesn't work. It sits around zero, then goes to max RPM. The backlight works ok though, and I did see some moisture on the inside of the glass this morning. I did not use their recommended ground; I went through one in the harness, which I verified goes to the negative terminal on the battery. Don't know why, but maybe that was a bad idea? The green neutral light on the tank panel works, as do the blinker indicators, however one lights up constantly, but is dim. Maybe it'll work out once the blinkers are hooked up?

Anyway - great day overall. My concerns now are that the clearcoat staves off the rust and that no fuel leaks spring up.

Still left to do are the tach (again), blinkers, chain and guard, side covers, and that whole rear brake thing... I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 09:57 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #132
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well, I don't know how, but the chain I ordered last night got here today. Something unbelievable, really. Missing one the one bolt that caused the clearance issue, I got the chain on... though I cut it a link long, I'll have to get another master link and fix that later. There doesn't seem to be a ton of adjustment for the chain (since it's not supposed to be chain drive, probably).

I threw the chain guard on as well, then put on the side covers. Another bit of cheesiness came out of the woodwork when Ryca calls for the side covers to be epoxied to the metal plates. Not no, but hellllll no. Rivets it is!

Obviously, I should have done this before clearcoat, but I didn't, so I messed the finish up a little bit. I put a little enamel clear over the area to help. Also, I thought that the rivets would give the covers an industrial look, but it fell a little short, IMO. Oh well, looks good overall I'd say.

I got the bike filled with gas, insured and pushed her out to the street for a spin or two around the block - FINALLY!

The bike idled pretty well once I blocked off the open vacuum line on the carb. It took a little bit, as expected with a big air cooled motor, but eventually the power delivery went smooth; she didn't like 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while cold.

Front brake is good (a tish better than my KLR), rear is OK once you move the pedal 2 inches to engage, which is less of a pain than I thought. Didn't get to push the suspension at all, but it felt good around the block. Even at 30-40mph, the bike is really solid, steering is not twitchy at all, pretty slow steering for a small bike - a leftover from the cruiser geometry, no doubt, and that huge front tire probably keeps it steady. Those big bars help though! Still a cool ride. After working on the bike for so long, it feels a lot bigger than I was expecting, which I like. That tiny little frame and motor made it feel like a small toy sometimes.

I need a horn, mirrors (the stockers are TERRIBLE), and blinkers still. Also, the tach is still out of commission... I didn't take notice of whether the speedo worked or not... mileage adds on, so I'm guessing yes.

The exhaust looks cool and all, but it's louder than I'd like. Also, it's louder than the neighbor lady would like, since she was waiting for me with complaints and sarcastic questions. Guess that's what I get for living in a quiet little island paradise. Anyway, I tried to be nice and I thanked the lady for coming to me directly and speaking her mind, then promised not to cruise the block like that, ending on good enough terms.

Anyway - so stoked! Celebratory pics!

Krasniewski screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 09:30 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #133
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
That tank patch looks cool in the pics. Give us a close up. I'd strip it and let the whole outside rust. Especially on and around those welds.
Dorzok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #134
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Looks really cool and aside from the wait a quick build.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #135
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
That tank patch looks cool in the pics. Give us a close up. I'd strip it and let the whole outside rust. Especially on and around those welds.
Yeah - some weathering b/f the clearcoat would be cool. After welding, the patch had a really cool blue halo from the heat which I really wanted to keep, but couldn't get the whole thing to stay since I brushed a bunch to clean after welding.

My shame is slowly dissolving - maybe I'll grab a snapshot when the sun comes back tomorrow.

Quote:
Looks really cool, and aside from the wait, a quick build.
Thanks - it feels like it's been a looooong time comin', but I guess it wasn't that long afterall.