User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
SkiFly01 OP
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 579
Braille lithium battery

I have seen the threads on the Shoria battery and how people have used the 14 and 18 and now they (Shoria) recommend the 21. I also see that Braille sells their lithium batteries the G7 and G9, I'm leaning towards the G9 for the higher PCA at 346. I like the weight, size, and life of a Lithium battery over the AGM counterpart. I know the BMW AGM battery is around 200CCA. I live in FL (Go Gators) and do ride year round and travel out of state, even in our mild but def bone chilling wet winters, so I do want ease of starting down in the 20's possibly teens. Will the Braille G9 hold up to the power hungry starter of the GSA?
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
battman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Lithium batt

I just pm'd you
battman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
The previous owner put a Braille battery in my GS not long before I bought it. I'm not sure which model it is, but I will never install one in another vehicle. If it is cold out, I have one shot at starting it. If it doesn't fire right away, I might as well just start scrounging for the jumper cables. I've had to jump it 4-5 times in the 14 months I've had the bike. If I let it sit for longer than two or three weeks between rides, it won't start as well.

I only ran Odyssey batteries in my RT, and I only had to jump that once in 6+ years of ownership and 80K+ miles of use........and that one time was with a 5 year old battery after sitting outside in sub freezing temps all day. I'll be putting an Odyssey back in before winter.

YMMV, but I wouldn't even put that Braille in my lawn tractor
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
SkiFly01 OP
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 579
Well since I didn't get any real good response from people but did find some results as to people running the "2.3 lbs braille battery" which is the G9 I purchased one myself. I installed it and cranked the bike up, way faster than the 200CCA AGM BMW battery ever was that was in the bike when I bought it. If you purchase one for your bike you will definitely want to use something to space the battery up and from the side if you plan on using the OEM strap. Anyways here are a few shots of it side by side the OEM unit.

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
Do those batteries have any internal electronics to ensure proper load-balancing while charging? I can't tell from the website and visually it's not clear.

If there's no internal electronics to balance the charge in the cells, your battery might not last very long and might never reach its maximum capacity. See for example:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687012
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote