Ditch it 29 70.73%
Keep it 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
ADVrider Interactive community Build

I have been lurking around in the Shadows on this and many other sites for the last 4 years. Reading and searching for my dream of getting an R1200gs. My ultimate dream bike is the 90th Anniversary GSA. However Since I'm Married to a very smart woman who knows me well; She pretty Much squanched that dream by saying " There ain't no way I'm gonna let you spend that Kind of money on something you're gonna ride a few times and then sit in the Garage!"

I love her and yea she's probably right! But dream I still did. Call it Mid Life crisis, or Infantile Megalomania or just plain trying to keep my youth. I dreamed of finding that once in a lifetime deal that would land me land a GSA..... But No Go! I am by no means a professional bike builder, I'm not trying to open my own shop, or compete in any way with anybody.

Years of surfing the web has taken me to many interesting sites, bikes and builds. Then one day I saw it, the object of my affection or affliction you choose. Then wheels started turning and the juices were a churning and the sparks started sparking! I came up with this Idea:

Admin's and Mod's if this is against your best interest Now is the time to speak up, or sticky it, up to you all

This build is my way of saying thanks you to all of you and all I have read here. This group draws from an international group of truly Avid ADV Riders and I am proud to be here. It is my intention to build the ultimate one off dream bike with your input, advice, Help, and interaction. By input I mean I am requesting all of your opinions which will be put to a pole for all to vote on. Advice is just that - the how to's of the build. help if you can in anyway possible to make this build come true. and interact in the poles when asked. When the Build is completed it is my full intention to auction this bike off so that all proceeds go to a charity of our choosing. and we'll see if maybe one of you lucky members can win this build.

The Inspiration for this build come in the form of the fantastic group known as Cafe Racer Dreams. I saw this bike and it was love at first sight! Fe-nominal build and I think at least some of you would agree.

Here is the twist this build will be CRD's Animal kicked up a notch with turbocharging .

jgendr screwed with this post 11-08-2014 at 02:40 PM
jgendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
jgendr OP
Adventurer

CRD animal!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
jgendr OP
Adventurer

The TURBO
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Day 1 of Build

Today I as lucky enough to purchase the donor Bike for this build. It was a good deal and a very solid base. It a 02 R1150RT that was unfortunately wrecked a couple of weeks ago. The Clock has 43k on it and was in flawless condition up until the wreck.
Attached Images

jgendr screwed with this post 11-08-2014 at 02:42 PM
Old 11-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
jgendr OP
Adventurer

yea OUCH! Rider is all good and only suffered a broke ankle.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
jgendr OP
Adventurer

all in all the bike is in great shape except the front forks lower A frame balljoint, front engine cover, header pipes, and Right hand Valve cover.

Yea and the Fluff faring stuff but thats all going bye bye for this build.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Engine cover
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Right hand valve cover
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Right hand controls
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Left hand controls
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
jgendr OP
Adventurer

This week I will be removing the Fluff and creating a parts list and getting it fired back up again. I'll keep the updates coming as I am able

Any tips, tricks, advice, and encouragement???

Pipe in and keep inspired!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 176
Only advice and encouragement...take plenty of photos for all of us watchers. As far as encouragement, "good boy, you can do it..."
Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,257
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgendr View Post
This week I will be removing the Fluff and creating a parts list and getting it fired back up again. I'll keep the updates coming as I am able

Any tips, tricks, advice, and encouragement???

Pipe in and keep inspired!

Don't do a turbo, the poor clutch and final drive can't take it.

Do get rid of the front suspension and convert to Megamoto style.

Put carbs on it, ditch the ABS, ditch the ECM, ditch the 15 pound battery.

You have 60 days, go!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
jgendr OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Don't do a turbo, the poor clutch and final drive can't take it.

Do get rid of the front suspension and convert to Megamoto style.

Put carbs on it, ditch the ABS, ditch the ECM, ditch the 15 pound battery.

You have 60 days, go!

60 Days??? Not gonna happen! LOL

Well spent some time learning the bike and checking it over some. was able to take the right hand controls apart to get into the innards because I couldn't get the starter to roll. once inside I can jumper the start pins and roll it over. about 3 gallons of gas and a quart or 2 of oil, be dam it fired up and runs. a little ruff but runs. I did notice the right valve cover was worse off than I thought so it'll need to be replaced. front cover down low may also be cracked because it's leaking oil where the right header smacked it.

Is it normal for these bikes to have a lot of crank case pressure when running? On the cracked right Valve cover one of the bolt wholes is pretty bad and a whole is there about half the size of a dime, and I feel quite a bit of air blowing. Don't think it's blowbye as much as the pistons moving in and out.

The ruff running and crank pressures may be due to the very restricted exhaust header. I'll do a compression test to check the health of the cylinders.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #15
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 707
Me of little knowledge

AS long as it started ,I don't see much gain from tuning until bodywork removed .
There are guys on here that have loads of knowledge who should be here shortly .

I like oil heads and off beat builds . (should,coulda and woulda r850r)
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote