User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Cataract2 OP
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,458
Draggin' Jeans

I've been looking into riding pants for some time now, but can't come to a decision about what I want to go with. I have some overpants, but I find them a bit big and bulky along with a bit warm. I like the idea of Draggin' Jeans as it will keep the jeans look and comes out with less stuff so to speak. Also, with my starting college that has a business causual uniform requirement (The Cit.) I like how they offer a more formal version of them so I wouldn't have to carry a spare set of cloths for riding and going around campus. Does anyone have any experience with these pants and what are you thoughts?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
i love them and have been riding with them for years.

i can attest that they are durable and can take a trip down the road without wearing through. last year i hit a patch of gravel while taking a right hand 90 degree bend in the road and went down. my ass slid down the road for about 50-60 feet. now i was wearing bohn armor underneith the pants so it didn't feel like i was on the road. i just thought i stayed on the bike the entire time. after the bike stopped, i got up and dusted myself off. after making it to my destination, my buddy was asking what happened because he saw my pants. it was at that point i realized that i actually slid down the road.

here are some pics. as you can see, the kevlar held up great.

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Yep, I can attest as well to the fact that they do work as advertised.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I too have a pair of Hein Gericke riding pants, suitably armored & padded. The pockets are all wrong, the length that won't ride up when I'm riding drags on the ground when I'm walking, they are hot, even without the liners, & they just feel & look alien. They are expensive, and difficult to pee out of! They were soon relegated to winter use only. I'm a jeans guy, I want my keys & wallet in the same pockets every time, I like the way jeans fit & look, & feel. I also know that jeans are functionally useless in any get-off. Dedicated riding trou are too expensive to tryout a half a dozen pairs to find some I like. What's the solution? A few years ago I discovered my own personal compromise. Field pants are made for upland bird hunters who often have to trek through briars & brambles in pursuit of the wiley grouse or partridge. In the Cabela's variant that I wear, they are a real pair of jeans, blue denim, 5 pockets just where they should be, rivets at the stitching intersections, you know, blue jeans. Sewn on to the fronts and around the whole leg below the calf, is a layer of 300 denier cordura, It's a light tan color, so they look a little different than regular blue jeans, & I'm not going to try to claim that they are as good as even the cheapest pair of dedicated riding pants out there. But...... aside from the tan facings they look, feel, & perform like real jeans, because they are. The cordura is wind & rain "resistant", & will hold up better than denim in a get-off, (I know, 300 is pretty light, but still better than denim) the pockets are right where I want them, the zipper is also right where I want it, they are available in every size that regular jeans are (also in khaki, so the tan cordura seems to disappear, I've worn the khakis with a blue blazer & tie without a problem) I suppose I could wear knee pads under them if I so desired, and the real kicker, is that they cost $29.95 at Cabela's. We all make our own compromises between safety, comfort & price, & this works for me. YMMV
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Draggins are pretty comfy, just dont cut yourself short on underwear on a long trip. Like wrapping your balls in sandpaper after 10 hours.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I agree with Perterra. I have to wear long spandex compression shorts under my Draggin jeans because the kevlar "fleece" in the seat starts to dig in after a while.

I recently bought these:
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...nts/web1009965

They were cheap, look pretty normal, come with removable knee armor, and the kevlar is flat so hopefully won't bother me like the Draggin jeans.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I used to wear Draggins but now much prefer the Diamond Gusset Defender jeans these days. Much better style (look a lot better than Draggins) and the Diamond Gusset in the crotch makes "the boys" more comfortable when riding.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/defend.html

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, just a happy customer on his second pair of them.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Draggins are pretty comfy, just dont cut yourself short on underwear on a long trip. Like wrapping your balls in sandpaper after 10 hours.
Never had that issue, I must be lacking. Marbles rather than balls p'raps?

Any hoo, love my draggins, have lasted 5 years with no dramas & at times I have lived in them. Bought them 2nd hand too.
Knee & hip armour is a must & they should fit well. If you like folks to see your shorts they are no good.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Dead Eye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
x2 for Diamond Gusset

I love t Diamond Gusset Defenders. Great quality and comfort. I know it is too much information, but they are smooth enough to wear commando.
Dead Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Love my Draggin's; I, too wear them with Bohn body armor underneath. If ordering on line, be advised that they run huge.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I just ordered the Sliders due to a good review in the BMWMOA monthly . I also have a 'stich two piece and a Rallye 3 suit. I have the Bonn Armor bottoms when I want some extra protection and padding in the Jeans .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Cataract2 OP
Where to?

Like hearing all the positive feedback on this. duck, I will check out the link you posted. Always good to have more options to look at. Never know what you will like.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 707
Another + for Draggin with Bohn Armor under.
Careful with some overseas "kevlar". If it melts with a flame it ain't. Test it.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Cataract2 OP
Where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
Another + for Draggin with Bohn Armor under.
Careful with some overseas "kevlar". If it melts with a flame it ain't. Test it.
Melts with a flame? Educate me please.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Never had that issue, I must be lacking. Marbles rather than balls p'raps?

Any hoo, love my draggins, have lasted 5 years with no dramas & at times I have lived in them. Bought them 2nd hand too.
Knee & hip armour is a must & they should fit well. If you like folks to see your shorts they are no good.
Could just be that age hasnt made your plums like a bassett hound. Didnt use to be as much of a problem to me.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote