User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
DangerDane OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
KTM exc two stroke AC to DC

I have a 2004 KTM 250 exc I would like to add a battery so i have a reg/rec it needs two wires coming from the stator I think. I found some tec articles on how to rewind the stator but they all show the stator have seven poles mine only has three if the other two are for the ingnition coil. New guy any any response would be helpfull thanks.
DangerDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDane View Post
I have a 2004 KTM 250 exc I would like to add a battery so i have a reg/rec it needs two wires coming from the stator I think. I found some tec articles on how to rewind the stator but they all show the stator have seven poles mine only has three if the other two are for the ingnition coil. New guy any any response would be helpfull thanks.
hi
don't know you exact setup but generaly 2 stroke AC stators have one wire that goes to the headlight
folow that to your stator and you have found your AC stator coil it will have one end of the winding connected to that wire and the other to ground

De-connect the ground and connect a wire to it
now you have the two wires with AC signal ready to go into the reg/rec
the reg/rec should have another for batt(+) and a ground
Nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
DangerDane OP
Adventurer

Thank you very much.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
DangerDane OP
Adventurer

Thats all and to think if i didnt ask for help i was about to rewind my stator for for nothing and probly ruin it on the way. The poles look as full as they can be. I will have to see what the stock 40w can do.

Would a differnt flywheel give me some more wats or some day just have to upgrade stator?

Im super broke at the moment
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
alpo996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hi. You can look for a 2K3 stator and flywheel and that will put out more power than your stock one. I found a used setup for my 04 200, but ended up rewinding that one by Ricky Stator to give a full 100 watts. The 2K3 stator has two separate windings, one for the AC headlight and one for DC battery but the RS rewind uses them all to give the full power to the DC side so you can run HID lights, grip heaters, GPS, etc. Keep in mind the 40W or 100W ratings are at high rpm, so it's quite a bit less at trail riding speeds. I found the stock 40 watter just couldn't cut it for my needs.
alpo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,032
trailtech makes one of those for KTM 2t. I just ordered one for my 300...
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
DangerDane OP
Adventurer

Thanks I got set up for now just have to see how it works. I don't think i will doing much night riding main goal was to have working brake lights at a stop.

Now can't wait to go riding just got eight inches of snow.

Now people say you can't ride two smoke down the road you will bolw it up.. is it the stedy RPM becuase there made to be on a MX

Or is it because peolpe riding it tapped out down the rode and lock it up.

DangerDane screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:55 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
I did exactly what you are trying to do except mine was an 04 250sx. Changed to the Y3k stator and flywheel, set up brake lights and headlights got it all street legal, and then finally sold it. I changed the power valve spring and everything I could to try and tame the "hit" that motor had. The throttle was too much an on/off switch for me to make a serious dual sport out of. 25 mpg doesn't make for much range either.
Your exc however is ported differently and has a 6 speed gearbox so it will be a better d/s candidate than mine.
You gotta realize that you are starting from a serious enduro racing bike and doing dual sport riding with it, nothing wrong with that, it's just gonna always be better on the dirt than it is on the pavement.
Dual sport bikes are all about compromise.
Have fun
Hell, when I was a kid most dual sports were 2 strokes, the yamaha DT series comes to mind.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
DangerDane OP
Adventurer

Ya my first bike was a 71 Yamaha 125 DT1 road it all over right down the roads and never worridy. Thanks