Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
2000 1150 GS problem

Hi all,
First, I have a 2000 1150 GS with just over 61k miles on it.
Yesterday night when riding home on the interstate going roughly 75 mph my bike hesitated twice. First time, I was going 75 steady then the throttle stopped working for 3 seconds. Imagine trying to accelerate and nothing happened for three seconds then all of a sudden it worked fine. Roughly 7-10 miles later, the bike hesitated again for 3 seconds or so. (The bike was driving, then stalled for half a second, then was fine for half a second, stalled again for half a second, and then was fine) It was really quick this time. I continued driving 7 miles on the interstate with no problems plus 20 miles to get home (<45 mph).

Is this easily an issue of bad gas? Something else? I had two bars remaining when the first hesitation occurred. Today after work I am filling up with new gas and then going to take it out for 30 min or so.

Plus to make things worse, I have a 9 day trip to Nova Scotia planned in two weeks.
Any insight you guys can provide would be helpful.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Maybe a Hall Sensor. It is a known issue.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
When was the fuel filter last changed?
Fuel Pump?
How does the tachometer behave when the engine is cutting out? I.E. is the needle bouncing?

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
RickyBilly
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 127
2000 gs

I have the same bike and had similar issue 2 yrs ago. Try looking at the wiring harness under the key. It was made to short and will eventually wear out and short out. Easy fix. Try starting the bike then turn the handlebars and if it quits that will be the problem. All the best. Love my bike, thats the only thing I have had give out in 60 k plus miles.

Rick
Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadashielddirt View Post
Try looking at the wiring harness under the key.
Even it not too short, just where they exit from the key they might wear off.
Don't only turn your handlebars, but use your hand to wiggle them while the engine is running.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
Did the lights, engine, everything cut out? Or just the engine?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
The only thing that cut out was the throttle. I did not have to start the bike up again or anything. I just could not accelerate for 2-5 seconds.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,872
Check the obvious things first. My first thought is intermittent HES.

Next, is the coil in good condition. It is easy to check the resistance of both primary and secondary windings in the coil.

Next, as mentioned...fuel filter. If you go into the tank, replace not only the filter but the rubber lines. If the lines have small undetected cracks, fuel pressure drops leaving you with inadequate fuel delivery at the injectors and the symptoms you describe.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
PARATOAD
Paratoad

Oddometer: 13
Were there any symptoms before?

I am currently having some surging/sputtering issues with my 2000 R1150G. My situation came on a little at a time and I was wondering if it really came on at once or if there were any tell-tale sign before it got bad. To date I have have tried: siphoning out "old" fuel, running fuel injection cleaner in the next tank, followed by a tank w/ sea foam and replacing my plugs. To date, no relief, and now I'm fairly sure it's a fuel related issue (O2 sensor or fuel injectors, fuel filter). How's your machine as of now??
PARATOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
def
I've little to say

Your fuel lines have been sloshing around in gasoline for 12-13 years. They're shot.

Go into the fuel tank, replace the filter and rubber lines and clamps. Use only fuel line hose rated for immersion in gasoline. Its costly, get the correct SAE rated 30R10 stuff or you'll be sorry.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARATOAD View Post
I am currently having some surging/sputtering issues with my 2000 R1150G. My situation came on a little at a time and I was wondering if it really came on at once or if there were any tell-tale sign before it got bad. To date I have have tried: siphoning out "old" fuel, running fuel injection cleaner in the next tank, followed by a tank w/ sea foam and replacing my plugs. To date, no relief, and now I'm fairly sure it's a fuel related issue (O2 sensor or fuel injectors, fuel filter). How's your machine as of now??
Mine was doing that too and it turned out to be the tank liner. It was coming off in sheets and plugging up the fuel intake. I removed the pieces, cleaned the rest, replaced the filter, and did a 7400 mile round-trip run to Honduras and all well.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
Mine was doing that too and it turned out to be the tank liner. It was coming off in sheets and plugging up the fuel intake. I removed the pieces, cleaned the rest, replaced the filter, and did a 7400 mile round-trip run to Honduras and all well.
Wow. Great job. Can you tell us how you cleaned the tank of the remaining tank liner?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Wow. Great job. Can you tell us how you cleaned the tank of the remaining tank liner?
I just tore out as much as possible, cleaned with WD40 and a scratch pad, then flushed with gas and a final wipedown with WD40. I looked into having the liner replaced but was told by San Diego BMW and Dave Campbell BMW repair to not bother. The liner has a service life and mine was past it (01 GS). The tank is black and I live in one of the most extreme climates in the US with temps above 115 much of the summer. I also do not have a garage.