ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #76
Russ

Oddometer: 16,109
Chris upload speeds are always slow especially if you are on free or remote wifi or on a mobile connection.
Or as Dave said use a smaller file size - either set by the camera or through the computer photo program.
Smugmug is working fine.

I suspect that it may be a case of user or settings trouble that is causing your grief.
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #77
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
Not sure what I hate the most, Facebook or Twitter, imho you are crazy to use either, you are leaving yourself wide open, may as well tell everyone where the backdoor key resides.

Only if you put your life story on them, I don`t, just use facebook for photo storage.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #78
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,952
Thanks for your suggestions, but I have just realised that I'm meeting 2 friends tonight at the Lake Ferry hotel, another favourite place to stay, and both are computer guru's, Don is the senior Professor of IT at Adelaide Uni,and if can,t help, no one can.

What I don't understand, I having been doing the same way for over 5 years, usually with a dongle, as I dont have a landline, have not had one for almost 4 years.

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #79
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, but I have just realised that I'm meeting 2 friends tonight at the Lake Ferry hotel, another favourite place to stay, and both are computer guru's, Don is the senior Professor of IT at Adelaide Uni,and if can,t help, no one can.

What I don't understand, I having been doing the same way for over 5 years, usually with a dongle, as I dont have a landline, have not had one for almost 4 years.
maybe our useless cell towers

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #80
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Photobucket is crap, try and retrieve a photo stored longer then say 12 mths. Go and read old RR's on ADV and those who have not used Smugmug have lost their photo's. I can go back 5 years when I first started using Smugmug, and all my photo's which number in the thousands, are still there.
Ummm, that's not photobucket's problem; I've used it for years without drama. "Problem exists between keyboard and chair" as we say in the trade.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #81
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Good lordy,lordy, Smugmug she loves me

So while the going is good, I'm going to try and download as many photo's as I can as I have a free afternoon, locked in the office you might say

We are at Lake Ferry hotel at the bottom end of martinbourgh, and it is howling with galeforce winds, whitecaps on the lake. We are going nowhere, Susan is not well, I have signds of the flu returning.

This has to be one of the best pubs anywhere. Big statement, but weigh up the views, the cost of acc, ($35pp,pn) and food that Don and I rate as amonsgt the best we have eaten anywhere in the world, and we are both well travelled, Don more so, and both are very good in the kitchen. Both had seafood chowder for entree, he grilled whole flounder, me Bluenose fish on a prawn rissotto, Susan a lamb pie, 2 bottles of wine, sweets, coffee, $60 per head!!! Sensational, in Oz, similar would be $200 a head.

So, here is my office.

Looks like it will be a long day in the office dear

Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #82
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
We are at Lake Ferry hotel at the bottom end of martinbourgh, and it is howling with galeforce winds, whitecaps on the lake. We are going nowhere, Susan is not well, I have signds of the flu returning.
Monday is supposed to be much betterer.

Last time I was over at Lake Ferry the food was truly appalling, so I'd say they've changed chef. . That was when Gus's ICU died part way round the beach between Lake Ferry & Whangaimoana Beach.

The coast road out to Cape Palliser is real nice, as is the ride (more offroad) after Ocean Beach on the other side of the Lake.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #83
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Bet the display of Harleys is next to the hammers & Shifting Spanners section
Yes, and BMW's amongst the tuppaware, KTM's with the vehicle recovery section, The English in with the electrical department, Italians in the Lingerei deparmnet, any others we have forgotten?
So back to the job.

A small example of a superb carpentry tool selection.

But not just bikes, try this corvette, 1 of only 4 built!!

Then we come to what brings thousands of like mined people to Invercargill.

To be continued hopefully

Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #84
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Monday is supposed to be much betterer.

Last time I was over at Lake Ferry the food was truly appalling, so I'd say they've changed chef. . That was when Gus's ICU died part way round the beach between Lake Ferry & Whangaimoana Beach.

The coast road out to Cape Palliser is real nice, as is the ride (more offroad) after Ocean Beach on the other side of the Lake.
Yes the owners a lovley youngish couple took time off for about 18 months, and the pub went down hill, but they are back refreshed and doing a magnificent job.

Yes done the Cape Pallister road several times, if you get to know the locals, you can get advice as to how to get round the locked gate at the lighthouse and continue north, but they advise not to try and do it on your own.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #85
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Yes the owners a lovley youngish couple took time off for about 18 months, and the pub went down hill, but they are back refreshed and doing a magnificent job.

Yes done the Cape Pallister road several times, if you get to know the locals, you can get advice as to how to get round the locked gate at the lighthouse and continue north, but they advise not to try and do it on your own.
There used to be an excellent rally off in the scrub just past the locked gate. The track thru' to White Rock Station was/is a lot of fun, but challenging. There's a gravel scree that you might need mates to help with. Then a steep hill climb / descent that is slowly slipping into the sea.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #86
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Coffee break over back to the office

Now back to the bikes, BTW for those wondering how they manage to have so many examples, E Hayes and Sons occuppies an entire city block in Invercargill. The building depth is over a 100 mts, and boasts that in their hardware section, (middle) their tool selection runs the entire 100 mts on the nortern wall!!!. Only other store that even came close to this was Ryan and Sons in Elizabeth st Melbourne, now closed
Ah Bunnings and co, eat your f**king hearts out, a real store staffed by people who have knowledge and pride in what they do, that is how you provide service, long may E &Hayes live

Buggar, begining to have problems, transmitting them, maybe them gods need a break.Here's hoping

a

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #87
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

The gods still love me lets see how far we can get

That's history people, and as I said, long may they continue to thrive.

PS Just imagine living in that Southland area, "I'm just popping down to the hardware dear".

Oh I wish.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of the store, BTW, never took photo's of their outdoor camping, BBQ, area, which comprises another third of their floor display area!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #88
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

While it is happening, I may as well throw in a few photo's just to encourage you to come on down

West out of Blenheim heading to Saint Arnaud on Hy 63

End of day 1 on South Isle, my office for the night, the Reefton Auto Lodge, highly recommended $70pp, m/c friendly, after coming partly down one of my great tar roads of the South, the Buller, lots of photo's heading back on that magic bit of road when I did it in its entiriety last week. But I had problems this day, lack of charging.

On top of the Crowns Head range between Wanaka and Queenstown, stuning views

There is an Air NewZealnd 700/737 in there on its approach to Queenstown.

Airfield very hard to see, I have blown this photo up, look at the topleft 1/4 section, a faint straight line between to lakes is it

Tis me with AFBS

Next view spot about 1/2 a kay down

Not smiling anymore.

The night before at Refeeton I had met 3 Harley riding guys, pleastant people and nice to talk to. Met them again back at the 1st Crowns Ridge view spot, they were loading one of the Hogs into their backup van. Happens to all of us Left them and rode down to the next lookout. Take photo's and as I approach my bike, I hear them coming, it's on a tighting right hander, 1st bike thunders pass and I wave, his mate looks either at me or beyond me to the spectaclular backdrop views, and in an instant realises he has overcooked the corner and is heading straight for the armco and beyond. He slams the front brake on, and because he is lent over, the front tucks under him and high sides him straight towards the armco. I see this happening before me (no more then 5mts away) , all in a split second, but I can still clearly see what is unfolding.
He is projected head first towards the armco(wearing a flimsy unlined open face, boy I look tough helmet) but manages to put his right arm in front of him, then he hits the top edge, which has been built with the bend facing away from the roadside. I see his lower right arm hit and I hear the crack, the impact throws him over the armco in a sommersault(sp) and lands on his bum, then flops over on his right.

I get to him, and thankfully is awake, and sits up. Get him to cradle his arm, then head back to the bike where my mobile is in the tank bag to ring 000. Thankfully the next vehicle is a camper with a nurse on board!!!. She proceeds to comfort him while we ring for help. A chinese couple are next to arrive, followed by his mate, who is panicking, he could'nt even dial 000, tries to take over, is told to chill out, does'nt wont the bike moved, even though it is lying in the top of the apex of the corner, we ignore him and get the mother off the road, by hell they are heavy.

After a while things settle down, and all we can do is wait for the ambo. The guy is OK,, in shock, but not bleeding
Not a nice experinece, very sobbering, and as my Doc says, (Hi Doc AT), no wonder he hates open face helmets, and can now relate why he hates to have to try and rebuild faces.
Note the skid mark.

Time for dinner folks,

TBC, so long as the gods still like me

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #89
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
Wow exciting stuff. See what happens when you wave to other riders?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #90
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
Thank god they guy survived, it's been shitty weekend for motorcyclists.

What;'s that orange stick for? Is that how you get the side stand down?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote