Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
magconpres OP
n00b goes here...

Oddometer: 63
ordered a Garmin 60CX...need advice on maps

Based on about a zillion threads here, I finally decided on a Garmin 60CX (and I didn't even have to post a "what gps should I get?" thread). I ordered a refurished unit for $200. Seemed like a good deal and in my budget.

I'm a bit confused on maps, though.

I plan to rider the OBDCR. I have gpx files from other people that have ridden it, but I need to figure out what maps I may need for the trip.

I was unable to determine from Garmin's site what the basemap is, but I doubt it's a topo.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations on maps. 24k topo, 100k topo, or road and rec?
Mostly I want to see route options. Knowing the closest gas station would be nice as well.

I have a Ram mount from my now borken Legend, so I'll just order a different cradle and will also get the hard-wired power cable.

Thanks,

mcp
2000 Yam PW50, 2002 Honda XR70, 1987 Kaw KDX80
1982 Honda XL500R
magconpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Great and FREE topo can be had at gpsfiledepot.com.... check it out.

Also openstreetmap.com has you covered for for the rest. Also free.
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Start off by installing Garmin Basecamp on your computer. OSM maps will work, but you do get what you pay for. They come up short on POI's. I haven't had much luck using them for address searches. But the road detail is good. Using BC and the route files you have, you can see on the pc just how detailed a set of maps are.

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/on...amp#fragment-4
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 02:12 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by magconpres View Post
). I ordered a refurished unit for $200.
Seems like a good deal, where did you buy it? I've been looking at them too.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by magconpres View Post
Based on about a zillion threads here, I finally decided on a Garmin 60CX (and I didn't even have to post a "what gps should I get?" thread). I ordered a refurished unit for $200. Seemed like a good deal and in my budget. I'm a bit confused on maps, though. mcp
Great deal is brand new 76Cx from WestMarine.com for $150 when on sale.

Just spend another $85 and get City Nav and be done with it and have good routalble maps. Bettery yet try to find old copy of Roads & Rec on e-bay.

If you end up with MapSource, it will work fine with your 60 but BaseCamp is new standard.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Great deal is brand new 76Cx from WestMarine.com for $150 when on sale.

Just spend another $85 and get City Nav and be done with it and have good routalble maps. Bettery yet try to find old copy of Roads & Rec on e-bay.

If you end up with MapSource, it will work fine with your 60 but BaseCamp is new standard.
Thought I would jump in here and ask a few related questions. Is CityNav you are refering to the preloaded memory card. Or is it possible to load CN from CD disk to a 60csx. I have a CN v8 disk that came with my zumo but haven't looked at whether I can load it to the 60csx.My Zumo is dead and i am not quite ready to pull the trigger on the Montana, so going back to the 60 for now. I have topo maps loaded but would like to get CN on it for routing.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
I have been using a 60cx for about 5 years.

The most useful mapset is City Navigator. But I also use Topos 100k a lot. The Topos show a lot of dirt roads that do not show up on CN. I would bet nearly all of the OBDR roads are on CN.

As I understand it the BDRs are designed to be big bike friendly and that usually means pretty major roads.

I have recently gotten my hands on the 24k Topos and am just learning how to use them effectively.

BTW I just splurged and bought a Montana. My main excuse was that the 60 is hard to see when riding into the sun.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
BTW I just splurged and bought a Montana. My main excuse was that the 60 is hard to see when riding into the sun.
Give us a break, hard to see, my ass!
You just finally gave in to the constant harang from Dan the we are in the dark ages!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Is CityNav you are refering to the preloaded memory card. Or is it possible to load CN from CD disk to a 60csx.

I have a CN v8 disk that came with my zumo but haven't looked at whether I can load it to the 60csx..
Never get CN on chip, get the disc but it can only be downloaded to ONE GPS.

Your disc is probably locked to TU Zumo, Garmin may let you transfer it to new 60. Others may help you.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Thought I would jump in here and ask a few related questions. Is CityNav you are refering to the preloaded memory card. Or is it possible to load CN from CD disk to a 60csx. I have a CN v8 disk that came with my zumo but haven't looked at whether I can load it to the 60csx.My Zumo is dead and i am not quite ready to pull the trigger on the Montana, so going back to the 60 for now. I have topo maps loaded but would like to get CN on it for routing.
City Navigator may be locked to the Nuvi, preventing you from loading it to any other gps. But you could buy a new version of CN dvd for about $75 from gpscity.com

Probably not worth buying the map if you intend the 60 to be a stopgap before getting a Montana, though. Try OSM or IBYCUS maps for free.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

Your disc is probably locked to TU Zumo, Garmin may let you transfer it to new 60.
Garmin is very unlikely to transfer the licence of a map from a Zumo to a 60. No point in raising false hopes.

And the beauty of having CN on a chip is that you can put it in any gps you own. Or sell it, if it comes to that.

In fact, I just might put my spare City Navigator chip up for sale.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:

Your disc is probably locked to TU Zumo, Garmin may let you transfer it to new 60. Others may help you.
I tried to go through the garmin website process and get it unlocked but it does appear that it is locked to the zumo. What would be the disadvantage to using CN on chip? I was thinking as mentioned by poster above that it would be transferable to another device. If I do get a Montana someday I would probably buy a disk. I thought I heard that the disk could be used for 2 devices. thanks for the help.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I tried to go through the garmin website process and get it unlocked but it does appear that it is locked to the zumo. What would be the disadvantage to using CN on chip? I was thinking as mentioned by poster above that it would be transferable to another device. If I do get a Montana someday I would probably buy a disk. I thought I heard that the disk could be used for 2 devices. thanks for the help.
Garmin used to allow two unlocks on some of the older products but they don't any more.

And the main disadvantage is that you can't update the maps on a chip.

But then you can't update maps if you choose the "download" version as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Map Chip 'mobility'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmin used to allow two unlocks on some of the older products but they don't any more.

And the main disadvantage is that you can't update the maps on a chip.

But then you can't update maps if you choose the "download" version as well.

So, the chip version can be moved from unit to unit? Without needing new/extra codes?

That is the first thing I have heard about the chips that sounds worthwhile. I haven't followed them closely because (I thought, could be wrong here) you couldn't load the chip data to your computer to keep a history of your travels, I know the waypoints and track could be saved but without a map it didn't hold my interest.

I really do love my 60CSx, and with the deals out there (as they head toward being unsupported), I would buy one for each bike or to have as a spare if they had not made the software (buy a copy or unlock code for each unit) such a PIA.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
So, the chip version can be moved from unit to unit? Without needing new/extra codes?

That is the first thing I have heard about the chips that sounds worthwhile. I haven't followed them closely because (I thought, could be wrong here) you couldn't load the chip data to your computer to keep a history of your travels, I know the waypoints and track could be saved but without a map it didn't hold my interest.

I really do love my 60CSx, and with the deals out there (as they head toward being unsupported), I would buy one for each bike or to have as a spare if they had not made the software (buy a copy or unlock code for each unit) such a PIA.
Yes, you can move it from unit to unit, as long as they support micro or regular SD cards. No license at all.

And with newer gps units, maps on the gps are available through BaseCamp, for trip planning, while the gps is plugged into the computer.

I don't know if the 60 works this way - it's possible it may work if you switch it to "Mass Storage Mode" when it's plugged in via usb to the computer.

This is one source of those cards: http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories...edmicroSD.html

And this is the Micro SD version of City Navigator: http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-city-n...rica-card.html

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 08:39 AM