User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Thanks Dan, excellent and informative response. I shall try and have a play with a Montana in store somewhere and see how much mileage I might get out of the profiles (as I do tend to use one GPS for all activities; I've taken my Zumo on a boat before now!)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I know that the Montana itself is supposed to be extremely rugged, but is the motorcycle mount the sort of thing you could do 40K offroad miles on and it'd be fine?.
I won't repeat any of the areas Dan's covered, but I would like to add that the Montana is 'rugged', but it can be broken. The internal antenna in particular can break off the circuit board under certain conditions. There's a thread here on how to secure the antenna, but it's not easy, could invalidate your warranty, and is likely unnecessary for most people. (Though my wife's first Montana did break this way)

If you're worried about it happening, carry an external antenna and plug it in if your internal one fails.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
REI has the Montana 650t for sale for $499 right now...
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #34
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
If it hasn't been mentioned, Lifetime maps means the LIFE of the unit not your life....usually its 5 years...Tom Tom is the same deal....Lifetime maps is a bit of false advertising.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
If it hasn't been mentioned, Lifetime maps means the LIFE of the unit not your life....usually its 5 years...Tom Tom is the same deal....Lifetime maps is a bit of false advertising.
It's not false advertising at all. Just because you interpret it a certain way doesn't mean that's what they are implying. Lifetime on the unit is clearly spelled out and very hard to miss on any of the literature I saw.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #36
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's not false advertising at all. Just because you interpret it a certain way doesn't mean that's what they are implying. Lifetime on the unit is clearly spelled out and very hard to miss on any of the literature I saw.
IIRC, that was pointed out in large bold all caps text on the Garmin site when I bought my lifetime maps sub.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Of course its spelled out....just saying when you get a lifetime warranty on a product...its not the life expectancy of the product is as long as you own it. They called it lifetime map updates because it sounds better than 5 years of map updates and more people would buy it and miss the disclaimers....not saying they did anything illegal just the name is a little misleading.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Of course its spelled out....just saying when you get a lifetime warranty on a product...its not the life expectancy of the product is as long as you own it. They called it lifetime map updates because it sounds better than 5 years of map updates and more people would buy it and miss the disclaimers....not saying they did anything illegal just the name is a little misleading.
Actually, this isn't a "Lifetime Warranty". It's a "Lifetime Map Update". There is a difference..

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 05:50 PM
Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #39
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually, this isn't a "Lifetime Warranty". It's a "Lifetime Map Update". There is a difference..

yeah thanks I got that, I was using warranty as an example.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #40
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,245
Quote:
yeah thanks I got that, I was using warranty as an example.
He does that a lot.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
BS.... it's false advertising.... garmin's just another dot.com that's selling widgets for as much as possible.... sheesh... what is it about canadians, eh?.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #42
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
BS.... it's false advertising.... garmin's just another dot.com that's selling widgets for as much as possible.... sheesh... what is it about canadians, eh?.....
Did you forget to take your pills today?