Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Not intended to hijack Holadays tread. Just letting you know that under overcast skies threatened with rains and more rains the fellow PNW'er left with my(HIS) rig at exactly 1246hrs heading to Columbia,SC with care.

It was a sad day for us although happy to have him continue the Adventures of 'Brunhilde'.

Godspeed Duncan...

Cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,377
Wow. End of an era.

But good luck to the Dunc.

I might have to ride down to White Salmon sometime this Fall to see his new rig in action.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
It's not easy watching one of your "babies" roll on down the road without you aboard.
Good to see you take it in stride.
So the next question is...what is to fill that empty space in the garage?

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
WOW!!! I can't believe that we've ended an era and started a new one. It is an awesome, awesome rig.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Congrats to both you and Elmer!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,927
Duncan, the easiest way to upload pics (if you have an iPhone) is to get the app Tapatalk. Alan aka Northwestrider turned me on to Tapatalk at the Chelan rally this summer. It works great! There is probably a similar app for Droids.

Stop by on your way through Spokane. We have an extra bedroom most of the time when family isn't coming for a visit. I'm on the north side of Spokane, just a couple miles from highway 2. PM me and I'll get you the address and a brief description on how to get here.

Drive safe friend!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
It's not easy watching one of your "babies" roll on down the road without you aboard.
Good to see you take it in stride.
So the next question is...what is to fill that empty space in the garage?

Cheers.
After guiding him to the start of a connecting route...saw him roll by sans me..I shed a tear.

So got more space now in the garage...build furniture...build a canoe/kayak....build a garden Hutch for the Missus...watch you Hackers post on ADV rider with a cup of coffee in hand...

Breaking News: Duncan made it to Columbia, SC with some intermittend rains. Is now in Greenville, SC replacing the front Metzeler Tourance! Says that the rig is running great.

Heading for Claude's (CSM) abode in Middleburg, PA this weekend.

cheers...
Old 08-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,710
Hey Holadays,

This is Chad. My wife Holly and I met you at Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC.

I hope that you have a fun and safe trip back home.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Elmer and Chad - thanks for posting the pics. I'm really bad with camera work - both taking pics and uplaoding them.
Sorry I've been silent for the past couple of days. Had a great visit with Elmer and Sharon when I picked up his rig Friday. They are wonderful people. Hope I can do his rig justice.

Rain from Elmer's almost to Florence SC - I was heading SW to spend Friday night with my son. He had a GoldWing+EML rig when he was doing his residency in California. Sold it and went back to 2 wheels. Seeing my rig brought back lots of good memories.

Then off Saturday morning to Greenville SC to get a new front tire. Fun to run into Chad and his wife. I was just sorta hanging out when he popped over and asked if it was Elmer's rig that he had seen on advrider. Doubt there are 2 rigs with that paint scheme. :-)

Next headed over to Asheville to help a very good friend celebrate his 65th birthday. Funny how things work out sometimes - if I hadn't needed a tire, I would have gone straight north from my son's place and missed all the fun. My friend lives up on one of Asheville's mountains. I'm really glad the rig has a 3.0 final drive. Not sure I would have made it up the hill without it.

Spent most of Sunday and today wandering through the Carolina/Tennessee/ Virginia mountains. I have a couple of really bad phone pictures somewhere but can't find them. Great scenery and so different from what I have at home now. Nice to get back to it for even a brief while.

Going to visit with Bob Henig of Bob'sBMW in Jessup Tuesday to chat about rigs and probably spend a few bucks. Then up to see Claude via Rte 15 from Frederick with maybe a detour to Gettysburg.

Been a fun trip so far - Rig handles well - interstates and major highways are no problem; I'm slowly getting used to secondary and tertiary roads. Other than handling, the biggest differences to me from riding on 2 wheels are:
- Speed - instead of 10 miles over the limit I'm at or slightly below the posted speeds. And if a corner says 25mph, I take it at no more than 25; often less. Maybe that will improve over time. But I haven't hit any really challenging twisties. Not sure I'm ready for that yet.
- Gas mileage: I'm getting about 30 mpg - stopping every 120 miles or so.
- Attention: Every gas stop, meal stop, rest stop takes a little bit longer as I get to chat with lots of curious people.
- Physical demands: At the end of 8 or 9 hours, I'm ready to call it a day. Must be the heat and humidity. :-)

All in all it's been a great experience so far. I'm looking forward to what's ahead.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #25
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941
Duncan -- There's fresh lamb and red wine up here in Vermont if you make it this far north. Your rig is familiar with us as it brought Elmer and Sharon this way on their way back from Newfoundland. They can vouch for the lamb and the fact that while they might stare at you hoping you're sloppy eaters, maybe even drool a bit now and then, our dogs are very well mannered.

Got a shop and most of the tools you might need just in case. Can share with you the most awesome routes through Ontario if you decide to go that way. Plus can show you how to upload photos so you can share this great adventure with the rest of us!

Anyway, think about it.

Pete and Tam
And our four goldens: Barley, Rusty, Tullamore and Kazoo
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #26
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Aye...Boondox....

From this ...

To this........at Boondox..

Duncan...if you're heading to Boondox's farm..make sure to give MAXBMW in Hew Hampshire a stop. Nice folks..have them listen to the soprano of 'Brunhilde' for free then be on your way to Boondox lamb chops chow-pow!

Cheers...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #27
anselmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Duncan-
We met in Yakima at the sidecar/trike class. I have the KLR/Velorex. Looks like a nice trip.
If you hit Nebraska, you may want to consider Hwy 2, angling up NW thru the Sandhills, which are unique and beautiful in their own way. (But horribly dry this year.) I am from Custer County, central NE, where my family farms and ranches.

Don't know your roads traveled in the past, but I drive from here to NE frequently. I-80, basically from Salt Lake to Omaha, has heavy truck traffic and can be deeply rutted. I-90, WA, ID,MT, SD, carries about 1/4 the traffic, much more pleasant. If on 90, consider the "shortcut", basically from Belle Fourche to the Little Bighorn battlefield, Hwy 212. It straightens the jog 90 makes into Wyoming. If weather is windy, or threatening,or dark, be careful. It is fairly empty country, so be fueled up. It is now a very good road. Lots of deer at night. If you have not stopped there, spend some time at the Custer memorial. Very simple, good driving self guided tour, and modern forensics have tracked individual troop movements by tracing firing pin indentations in shell cases.

Be careful. But maybe you are being tracked by drone??
Phil
anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boondox: Thanks for the offer. Wish I could make it up your way - great roads and great food.

Stopped by Bob's BMW Tuesday. Unfortunately, Bob was off doing battle with the MD DMV so i didn't get a chance to see him, but his folks, as always, were helpful. Here's SU waiting patiently in the shade for me to finish shopping:

So I headed off to Claude's to get a sway bar installed. Stopped by Gettysburg along the way. Here's pics the NC and VA Memorials, and waiting to participate in Pickett's Charge.

Nice to finally meet Claude. He and Crystal are great folk. For those traveling up this way, I recommend the Selinsgrove Inn as a place to stay. Closest hotel/motel to Claude, nice BIG rooms, reasonable rates [I paid $105] 2 blocks from very good food, great breakfast included in rate, and a laundromat directly across the street.

Speaking of which, I'm off to turn dirty smelly stuff into cleaner things.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed

Well I give up on this picture thing. I took the time to get the photos from my phone to my laptop to smugmug, copied the smugmug urls into the post and it didn't work. Too much effort for too little results. I don't know how y'all get pictures into your posts.

I don't know why there cant just be some simple drag-and-drop way to make it work.

GRRRRRR!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 347
dholaday, your pics look great!

Gettysburg NC memorial:

Gettysburg "Pickett's charge":

Gettysburg VA memorial:

At Bob's BMW:

Safe travels!
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote