Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,352
I am sorry to see you let go of it Elmer but I am happy for the new owner. I hope to see it on the road again.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #32
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,554
Hey Elmer just to let you know your oufit is in very good hands with Duncan, It has what I would say is an excellent home.
Yes, we modified it a little with a swaybar. But what we did recently does not even come close to some of the cool things you did to this outfit when it lived with you all. Please when you get back up this way stop by and say hello.

And Duncan, you have a great trip. Wish I had the time to tag along. We all enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you in the fall.Glad you liked the difference the swaybar made. Feel free to call anytime.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:35 PM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Claude:

Thanks for posting the pics of my rig at your place getting the sway bar. It really makes a difference. Boondox is right about that.

And before anybody asks from looking at Claude's photos: No, Elmer did not include Sharon as part of the deal. I'm hoping that my wife enjoys the rig as much as she.

Since I last posted - left Claude's and headed to Ann Arbor to see my niece. She thinks the rig is cool!! Then headed north to find US2 in the UP. Here's the north end of the Mackinac Bridge

[IMG][/IMG]

Went west on 2 to Bemidji, MN, where we saw Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox - Lake Bemidji in the background - it's the northern-most lake on the Mississippi River. Where 2 crossed the River it was, oh, maybe 10 feet wide.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I decided to take a short (1000 mile?) detour and drop south on mostly secondary roads, including a long empty stretch on US 85, to see Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial.

I find the latter to be much more impressive - it's HUGE and very special to the Lakota. Still lots of work to be done and progress is slow. The sculptors accept absolutely NO state or federal funds. ALL privately financed. If you are in the area don't miss Crazy Horse - it's only about 15 miles from Rushmore.

The picture does not do it justice. They wouldn't let anyone drive on the gravel road you see in the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Today I planned on going north via US 212/87/89 to rejoin US2 and go to Glacier NP for a run over the Going to the Sun highway (weather permitting). Unfortunately, I got a two-day unplanned rest while the folks at Sturgis BMW get a new speedo-tach-info display unit shipped in and installed. Hope you can see from the photo that I was driving the Fastest Hack in the West. I mean BMW speedos are always a little optimistic, but this was ridiculous.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good thing is that it gives me time to update this thread, ride around the Black Hills some more, and do laundry.

This has been a good trip, speedo units notwithstanding. A lot different than riding it on a solo bike, but lots of fun. I'm really glad Elmer let me buy Ingrid/Brunhilda. . . altho there will probably be a renaming ceremony when I get home. And I'll have to change my avatar.

dholaday screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 03:52 PM Reason: typos
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
Nobody's callin you "hack noob" no more!

You gots some miles under your belt now man!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Hi Duncan...

What goes on here..??? Would cleaning the speedo sensors face in the rear have helped?? I would have checked the rear wheel sensor. The more shaving on the sensor, the worse it will work. All sensors have some minor shavings on them. You need to wipe them off with your fingers. If it feels like cream/paste that's normal. Cleaning off the sensor could have fixed this issue. All the shavings can throw the magnet in the sensor off.

Did it throw any codes?

ABS or Triangle light flash red? No codes is good. Your sensor was probably just covered with metal shavings as the 3.0:1 FD is very new, might not have broken in yet! Wipe if off and stick it back in. This is not uncommon! You may never see a problem again.

I guess I am too late in chiming in after you having spent $$$$ for a instrument cluster? Should it happen again with the new speedometer...try my remedy.

By the way can you explain to us a bit to about your happiness with Claude's swing arm...what do you see and feel?

Most if not all PNW'ers do not sport a swingarm except our Eastern brethren. My ex-sidecar was as you know built by DMC...guess you're the first DMC that has one.

cheers,

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 11:22 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #36
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Elmer:

Thanks for the suggestions about shavings. I'll have service guys check it out. I am NOT mechanically adept. And I've gotten worse with age.

No visible Codes/warning beacons, and odometer seemed to be working properly.

If I had been on my GS I would have just motored on along until I got home and had the garage space and time to fool with things. I'm familiar enough with how that bike runs and handles that I really don't care about the speedo except to avoid counseling about my driving habits from highway patrol officers. On the other hand, this rig is very new to me still and I'm not comfortable enough with my ability to judge speed or make corning adjustments on the fly, so to speak.

Re sway bar: I don't want to get in the middle of a "How to Build a Sidecar Rig" discussion with Jay and Claude and Dave Hannigan. I talked with Jay a couple of times about sway bars and it was clear he sees no need for them and has no interest in building one.

On the other hand, both Claude and Dave pretty much insist on putting sway bars on dual-sport rigs for on-road use. Claude says no need to disconnect it unless I get into really gnarly stuff. I don't intend to do that. I'm not skilled enough to run the TAT or Black Dog. FWIW, Boondox really liked the handling improvements he experienced going from a Hannigan sway bar to one of Claude's.

I figured it was easy to have one on and then remove it if I didn't like it. So far, I believe that it helps the rig's stability, particularly in corners. Just my opinion, and I reserve the right to change my mind. :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #37
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

My rig has no sway bar. We should swap rigs when we get together to see what the other guy's rig feels like. Then we can both post up here our impressions. You got a White Salmon ETA yet?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #38
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Drone:

Re mileage: I've put on about 3,500 so far - about another 1,200?? to go until I get home. But all on pavement, so still a noob. The Google says a direct route would have been 2,900 miles and 46 hours.

I hope to be in White Salmon Sunday. Depends a little on how far I get Saturday - and that depends on the weather at Glacier NP. I'm not doing Going to the Sun if it's icy snowy up top.

Be glad to let you drive the rig. I've been wanting to check out yours and talk with you about the stuff you've done to it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Well darn! Since you missed Vermont I had to eat the lamb roast I thawed and drink the Merlot I had set out for your visit.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #40
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boondox. Sorry to have missed the lamb and merlot. I know from Elmer's reports that both are wonderful. Just go ahead and ship the lamb out here for us to try - we will furnish our own WA merlot.

Short day today. Here's a pic of me out in the middle of Not Much, SD [or WY, or MT; not sure which].

[IMG][/IMG]

Came within 0.2 gallon of needing to stop at the roadside self-service gas station. Riding uphill into strong headwinds plays havoc with the gas mileage.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time to finish up this thread?

Turns out I didn't get to go to Glacier NP. As those of you in the PNW may have seen in newspaper or TV, we had a wildfire start in White Salmon area last week. My wife sent me this picture looking north from our front porch:

[IMG][/IMG]

By Thursday night there were flames over the ridge to the left just out of the photo - about a mile from our house. Understandably, she was a little nervous about the course of events. So instead of going north to Glacier, Friday morning I put on my boogie boots and hopped onto I-90 at Billings. 16 hours and about 800 miles later I was home.

Fortunately, the wind was out of the east and the firefighters were able to get a backfire/fireline in place. This fire is now contained and all we had to deal with is smoke. No buildings destroyed.

Had a chance to take Mary Margaret on her first ride in this sidecar - she seems to like it a lot. Her [VERY old and in need of replacement] riding gear sort of fits the color scheme.

[IMG][/IMG]

And the cat at one of our favorite wineries likes the rig too:

All in all, a great trip. Had a lot of fun. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
How ya'll Duncan? Glad you got home safe and sound and your Missus likes the sidecar ride. Sharon is jealous and misses her Tub. Enjoy....

Cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 09:39 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #43
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

When I heard about the White Salmon fire I kinda figgered you might make a beeline home. Glad to hear the forest fire gods decided to spare your place.