http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...ps32cyoft0.jpg

pilot screwed with this post 11-24-2014 at 01:59 PM
Radio1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Radio1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psqgdcfiv4.jpg

2 months ago I had a head on with another bike walked away more or less unscathed 5 days ago I was cominng out of some hard packed ruts up on the pegs and then bang a mixture of a rut filled with loose gravel. Foot got caught between peg frame and ground bike came down on leg and I hit the deck. When I looked around my foot was pointing the wrong way.
I had one bar of mobile signal. Called emergency services they sent a helicopter and a 4wd ambo which got bogged on the way in. They found me 2 hours later stretchered me out on foot.

pilot screwed with this post 11-24-2014 at 01:58 PM
Old 11-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
You are lucky. Wish you quick recovery. Saludos.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Bucket1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
OUCH

It can all come undone in a hurry hey
Speedy recovery to you

'09 R1200GSA amongst others
Bucket1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 135
Spot???

Plan ahead, if venturing out of reliable cell coverage, maybe consider SPOT service with its 9*1*1 capacity (remember it's satellite, not cell).

What broke in the leg?

Anything broke on the bike, how was the bike extricated?

Enquiring minds, etc. . . .
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Noctis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Ouch, brings back memories.

Judging from that long incision, I assume you got your juicy titanium surgical nail stuck in there?
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Ugh. Been there did that. Thank goodness you had 1 bar of cell signal and were able to call for help, or the outcome may have been worse. I don't ride in remote places alone or without a SPOT anymore. Glad you made it out.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Radio1 OP
Adventurer

Spot tracker

My spot tracker fell out of my tank bag about a month ago, I'd actually pulled into a GPS store that morning and nearly purchased a new one.... It's the first thing on the list as soon as I get outta hospital. I was very very lucky I could be still out there. I'll never go bush again without one. The bike is absolutely fine. I wAs going slow no more than 30km hr. Just kinda rolling through a rutted decline section, I've just put rally pegs on the 690 which are quite a bit wider than stock and I think that they may have pinned my leg. I've had similar falls before. Lot of em. You end up kind of on your belly with a foot stuck under the bike. It's just my foot was pointed towards the back wheel and my knee was pointed towards the front wheel..... yUK!
The physio just got me up for a few steps.... Very painful. Shocking in fact. Gotta learn to walk again. I've got a ride planned across Oz in six months.... I hope I make it. Does anyone have experience of recovery time? Will I be ok in 6 months?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Radio1 OP
Adventurer

Titanium nail

Yep you got it. Big long nail through my Tibia..... Should be nice and strong now!
... What can one do to avoid this injury?..... Other then 'not falling off'...
Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio1 View Post
The physio just got me up for a few steps.... Very painful. Shocking in fact. Gotta learn to walk again. I've got a ride planned across Oz in six months.... I hope I make it. Does anyone have experience of recovery time? Will I be ok in 6 months?
Your first steps were 5 days after the accident and surgery? And you've got 6 months to be ready for a long ride.

Here's a thread I started, asking similar questions about recovery. I had a similar foot entrapment that caused hyperextension of the knee and required a reconstruction of the tibial plateau. Almost 4 months of no weight bearing, which led to atrophy of all the muscles in that leg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021439

It's been another 2 1/2 weeks, for a total of 5 weeks since I'm full weight bearing again, and I can walk without a cane now. I'm shopping for a replacement bike, but still can't quite get my knee bent enough to shift a sport bike.

I wouldn't cancel any plans just yet if I were you. You've got a 100 day head start on me, and I'll be riding after less than 6 months.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
It might be good to consider having a riding partner when one is planning to go into the middle of nowhere--just for situations like this! I am not trying to criticize or judge, but it does happen, and if your cell did not work at all...

I am finally going back to work tomorrow due to a broken collarbone (I started a thread here a month ago ). Since I work in a prison in maximum custody (even as an educator, not security officer) I had to be fine and ready to work before I could be cleared.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Noctis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Isn't that more a question for your doctor?

I had a tib/fib fracture in my left leg that healed up nicely and I was back to work(no restrictions) in 2 months, and was riding again before that.

To be fair though, I ride a Honda PCX scooter, so I don't need to shift gears with my left foot, which was great since my ankle was still a little funky for about a month due to the tib fracture being far down, and they had to put the bone screws right above the ankle.

Quote:
Yep you got it. Big long nail through my Tibia..... Should be nice and strong now!
... What can one do to avoid this injury?..... Other then 'not falling off'...
Strictly speaking, not falling off is quite likely the only way to "avoid" injury.

It's hard to say without knowing what gear you were wearing.

I upgraded my old TCX Air Tech boots to SIDI Crossfire 2 SRS, which are MX boots, after breaking my leg. Even then I don't expect to avoid injury entirely, I'm just hoping the damage will be more minor, or I can avoid damage to my ankle.

One promising course of action that's worked well for me thus far is to avoid riding where I had my little mishap.
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #13
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,247
What's the other guy look like? Glad you're still with us!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
irishmatt18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
I broke my Tib/Fib in half... Internal. R/Leg. Hit a blind jump in the desert and there was a 30ft washout you couldn't see. Came down ditched the bike, and my leg just touched the spinning tire. Kicked it out and that was that. I was with 3 others and it took me about 5 hours to get out. No signal. Long painful wait.

I rode my dirt bike after about 2/3 months. VERY slow. Ironically on the ride I hit a jump and in slow motion relived the "ditch the bike thing" but into soft sand thankfully. The worse part of the surgery and after effects is going to be the cut on your knee. When I kneel down wrong I bites me. Leg should be strong enough just make sure you walk walk walk and walk some more. Its going to suck but you should be able to bear weight now if I am not mistaking. Do it ASAP and as much as you can. ALSO!!!! If you have a significant other, massaging the knee and area as much as you can tolerate helped me BIG time.

Good luck!
irishmatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
My spot tracker fell out of my tank bag about a month ago, I'd actually pulled into a GPS store that morning and nearly purchased a new one.... It's the first thing on the list as soon as I get outta hospital. I was very very lucky I could be still out there. I'll never go bush again without one. The bike is absolutely fine. I wAs going slow no more than 30km hr. Just kinda rolling through a rutted decline section, I've just put rally pegs on the 690 which are quite a bit wider than stock and I think that they may have pinned my leg. I've had similar falls before. Lot of em. You end up kind of on your belly with a foot stuck under the bike. It's just my foot was pointed towards the back wheel and my knee was pointed towards the front wheel..... yUK!
Wow, ugly break! Glad you were able to summon help and that you're going to be OK. I love your ADVrider spirit - laying there with a nasty break, painful rehab, and worried you won't be able to go on your planned trip!!! Yeah, Buddy, you'll be just fine! When I was younger I raced motocross with a cast on a few times, but I was made of quick-set rubber back then. It takes a bit longer to heal these days. Best wishes!

If you decide you can't do your Oz crossing trip just let me know and I'll fly down there and stand in for you. But, I think you'll be fine.

Doug