User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,504
If it's worn out, replace it.

The last time I went over the handlebars (street riding) was in '69. It was my fault. My fault this time too. I knew my front rubber needed replaced and have been ignoring the gradual loss of dexterity and tactile feedback in my right hand. Strike three was a sudden impulse to stop at a park I was passing when I noticed the side hill was facing the sun. I had an hour to kill and made the snap decision to work on my Idaho tan.

I see a cage tight on my ass in my rear-view and pull out of the traffic lane onto the parking shoulder to decelerate. Right foot and right hand do their muscle-memory magic to the brakes... and the front tire of my 580 lb V-twin washes out to the left. Snap the left mirror off with my chest and manage to hold the left grip long enough to get a good head over heals rotation going and land on my right shoulder and hip after the full flip and roll onto the grass.

Maybe it's time for anti-locks on my ride. Sore hip for 3 weeks, and bruised bone on the finger that took a rock right through the hole in my worn-out glove. Soft steel parts on the bike bend back into shape well and I ride home using only the rear binders.

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
psmcd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Add up a few in-attentions and you wind up with auto-conspiracy.
Until the body slam there's a certain grace in defeat quality to your tumble, and even the grass landing seems to have gentled the message; replace worn tire, pay more attention, be less impulsive, and get that right hand biz taken care of. Or sumthin like that.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
It's hard to picture how the OP's front tire would lose traction like that. Even if he was braking and changing lanes. I wonder if it had something to do with slick road surface (painted lane lines, plastic reflectors, botts dots, etc). I mean, at normal road speeds, I would have thought even a worn tire would keep traction, unless it was worn down to the cords.
Steve in OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
GETTHUMPER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Laugh For What it is worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in OC View Post
It's hard to picture how the OP's front tire would lose traction like that. Even if he was braking and changing lanes. I wonder if it had something to do with slick road surface (painted lane lines, plastic reflectors, botts dots, etc). I mean, at normal road speeds, I would have thought even a worn tire would keep traction, unless it was worn down to the cords.
I have run a Metzeler ME 880 down to the cords and actually had better grip on hot-dry-asphalt than when it was new, of course if there was even a hint of moisture on the road-surface it was too squirrely to ride
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah. The stories you hear about total loss of traction on the front tire seem always to be about either a slick road surface or a sharp turn (or both), not just a normal lane change or normal braking.

Well, I guess the other possibility is that the OP somehow locked up the front brake (rider error). Or the front brake locked up due to mechanical failure.

The least likely cause, I would think, is a worn front tire.

Steve in OC screwed with this post 05-17-2015 at 11:44 AM
Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 938
Don't fool yourself guys, a balding tire is very slippery. They don't give you more traction like a drag strip slick. I laid my Ninja down twice in one night on my way to a buddies house. Road was dry no shoulder so no sand, but that bald tire didn't want no part of the cornering. Once the grooves are gone so is traction. Drag slicks are very soft not a bald street tire.
4:20 Its Hippy Hour
pigjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Were you ^^^ cornering when you lost traction?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
pigjockey
Hognuts

Yes I was and I wasn't going very fast at all. And I was aware of the situation on the second biff as I was on the return trip when on the corner before the 1st crash I'll be damned if it didn't happen again. Well it wasn't a corner but a nice smooth curve actually. Stock tires with I believe less than 3000 miles on them but they were done and hard. And the second corner cracked the helmet after two hits.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, the OP's crash could have been caused by the hardness of his tires. I should have thought of that. Most tires that with severely worn tread are probably also getting old and hard, too.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
pigjockey
Hognuts

Yep my bike sat in my yard through the winter b4 the owner decided to sell it to me it had less than 500 miles on it. And I drove it to the bar one day during flurries and b4 I knew it I was sloshed and had the Mrs. come get me, and it snowed like hell. Then I went to get it and by then it was snowed in by the plow. Sat there a few months till the cops started asking me stupid questions. Them tires were like rocks.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 AM   #11
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in OC View Post
Yeah. The stories you hear about total loss of traction on the front tire seem always to be about either a slick road surface or a sharp turn (or both), not just a normal lane change or normal braking.

You guys are all missing the obvious. The guy that has the accident is the LAST person you should believe or even listen to.... The rider almost always has too much emotion, and to much ego invested to possibly give an objective, honest report of his own accident. I have seen guys in an accident SWEAR that they did not do something, until they see the video and can not possibly deny it.

MOST LIKELY: He just grabbed the front brake much to hard. This accident would have probably happened with a brand new tire. There is just not that much traction lost with a balding tire on dry pavement.

SOLUTION: ABS, it is a wonderful safety system that will save you from these kinds of mistakes. I washed my bike last night, and rode around the block a couple times to dry it out, when I came back into the yard and braked, I fell the ABS activate at 5 MPH on the wet grass... Totally forgot how ice slick that would be.

Mike