User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
MikeJansen OP
Lost

Oddometer: 118
A small one that really annoys me

So this last Tuesday I had only my 2nd off in 15 years of riding.

I am fine and the bike is pretty much fine but the cause really makes me angry. At myself.

So, I added a Ford Transit horn to my Futura back when I bought it in June of 2013. I used the Velcro method of mounting in the left cheek of the fairing against my better judgement.

I prepped the surface by lightly roughing it up with a scotch-bright pad and then cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. I used industrial Velcro (the same stuff we use to hold disguise kits on to our prototype vehicles) and made sure that the loading of the horn was in compression of the Velcro so the adhesive was under no tension only mild shear from braking and turning. I have never used Velcro to hold anything on a bike that I can make a bracket for as I don't think of it as particularly robust.

Tuesday morning after a year and a half and 12,000 miles, I was on my way to work and the horn became detached from the fairing along with both sides of the Velcro and fell in to my steering area.

This caused the steering to lock against turning to the right. I went down at about 25 mph while initiating a turn into a side street. Damage includes: bent rear brake lever, scuffed mirror, rashed right upper and lower fairing panels, damage to the pillion peg mount, damage to the right grab handle, damage to my right GSG Mototechnik slider, and some soreness to me.

I have replaced the lever and the slider but now have to clean up my body work and figure out how I am going to paint this on a budget. I have already spent over 120 fixing the broken bits and will probably spend another 100 before it is done. Because I decided to use Velcro rather than make a proper mount.

This reminds me that, when dealing with moving parts, always make sure things are secure.

Mike
Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
dgmann1100
Will Ride for Food

Oddometer: 59
self-induced and self-correcting

Glad this happened at low-speed, if it had to happen at all. We've all taken shortcuts, but this is a good reminder that stuff like this (velcro mounting?!) is just fine until it is not.
dgmann1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I'm assuming you're positive that the adhesive didn't give up the ghost in the cold. Many of those PSAs cannot work in cold...they get hard and have no tacky adhesion.
An augment to velcro is the adhesive tie wrap attachments with PSA on the back. Put a tie wrap over the horn. Granted, you're back in PSA land. Between the two sets of attachments, that should work though as long as neither has too much constant pre-load.
Another alternative is epoxy for plastic since it isn't high strength AND high brittleness.
Good luck and safe riding.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,333
Temporary vs permanent

I had the aluminum footpeg/brake mount on a K75 welded "temporarily" until I could find a replacement...one day, at about your same speed and turning circumstance, that weld failed causing the rear wheel to lock and sending me high side.

Happened in an instant. Hurt for weeks-separated shoulder.

No more temp fixes.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer: 191
I feel for you and I can relate. Many years ago I packed a bag and strapped it to the backseat of my CB750F. Underneath the bag I stuffed a raincoat. After 4 hours riding,the bag, nor the coat had moved visibly when I checked at fuel stops. 15 minutes after the last fuel stop an arm from the raincoat emerged from under the bag and flapped its way into the chain at 90mph. I remember still (30 yeArs later) the complete shock I felt when the back tire locked and all I saw was smoke from my brand new Pirelli in the mirrors.

Result: the whole jacket but for 1 sleeve was stuff between the countershaft sprocket and the engine case.

I never went down but I could never afford to fix the bike properly either. Countershaft seal was pooched resulting in oil everywhere. Presto - end of my trip 450km from home

Secure things properly and no loose ends.
norther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
brownricer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by norther View Post
I feel for you and I can relate. Many years ago I packed a bag and strapped it to the backseat of my CB750F. Underneath the bag I stuffed a raincoat. After 4 hours riding,the bag, nor the coat had moved visibly when I checked at fuel stops. 15 minutes after the last fuel stop an arm from the raincoat emerged from under the bag and flapped its way into the chain at 90mph. I remember still (30 yeArs later) the complete shock I felt when the back tire locked and all I saw was smoke from my brand new Pirelli in the mirrors.

Result: the whole jacket but for 1 sleeve was stuff between the countershaft sprocket and the engine case.

I never went down but I could never afford to fix the bike properly either. Countershaft seal was pooched resulting in oil everywhere. Presto - end of my trip 450km from home

Secure things properly and no loose ends.
Amen.
I'm new to motorcycles, but did a few camping tours on a bicycle... learned some hard lessons, so now I pack with the worst in mind.
Whatever doesn't fit in my boxes gets bungee'd and (elastic) netted.
On my trip last fall, had my longer, warmer, waterproof jacket stashed on top of the stuff lashed to the trunk at one point... with the net over it, it stayed exactly as it was, even after a whole day doing 70+. I need to get a couple more of those.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
highgear
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownricer View Post
Amen.
I'm new to motorcycles, but did a few camping tours on a bicycle... learned some hard lessons, so now I pack with the worst in mind.
Whatever doesn't fit in my boxes gets bungee'd and (elastic) netted.
On my trip last fall, had my longer, warmer, waterproof jacket stashed on top of the stuff lashed to the trunk at one point... with the net over it, it stayed exactly as it was, even after a whole day doing 70+. I need to get a couple more of those.
I don't ever rely on the elastic netting. I'm not sure what good it does if I can just use straps. At a fuel stop on the PA Turnpike I met another rider that had a helmet netted to the rear seat. Twenty miles later I saw the helmet laying on the shoulder. I suppose he never realized it fell off until it was too late.

Thank you Mike for the valuable lesson. I am glad that you were not hurt. Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes we all just learn the hard way.

highgear screwed with this post 01-10-2015 at 04:08 PM
highgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
MikeJansen OP
Lost

Thanks for all the great words people.

I found both the adhesive and both sides of the Velcro still attached to the horn so I am assuming the adhesive failed over time and then finally riding home at -3 deg C totaled the remainder. It was a very lucky thing that it did not fail the night before, I spent a considerable portion of the ride home from work as quasi-legal motorway speeds.

A new alloy bracket is being fabbed up in my spare time to mount the horn in a better location.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
I prepped the surface by lightly roughing it up with a scotch-bright pad and then cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol.
You do know there is oil in isopropyl alcohol don't you?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
You do know there is oil in isopropyl alcohol don't you?
Not according to wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
Are you thinking of rubbing alcohol?
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,134
Evidently.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 AM   #12
MikeJansen OP
Lost

Thanks filmfan,

I was just about to post that up. I have used Isopropyl to clean electronics for years and it is used in the vinyl wrapping industry to prep the surface before applying the vinyl. The Velcro we use is used to hold the disguise kits at temperatures from-40degC to +50 degC and speeds up to 240kph. They look like this:

NOTE: I am not advocating this mounting method as it obviously is not safe. Also, I am not affiliated with C&D mag or with Acura and these photo's are available freely online.

I thought for a shortcut I would be fine and as other members had similar methods I assumed I would be fine. I think this is why I am so irritated about the crash. I had an inkling that it was stupid. I hate being right and still going against my better judgement.

Live and learn.

I am about to vinyl wrap the bike and pictures will follow.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Sandspur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Dodged a bullet

On the way to work a few months ago, I had the right side hard bag jump off of the back of my 650GS. It was a BMW hard case with the proper brackets. The latch felt a little funny when I put the bag on the bike in the dark. I gave it a good shake and thought it was fine. It was a split second after I hit the bump on the bridge that I heard the sound of the aluminum box sliding on the road behind me. No shoulder on the bridge so every car behind me hit the case and didn't stop. By the time I got back to it, the hard bag was completely gone and my laptop was merely more than gravel in my shoulder bag. Maybe the laptop was too heavy, maybe the latch wasn't latched correctly. All I know is I still shutter thinking what could have happened if that case only came partly off and got into the rear wheel on the bridge. Check the load 3 times, twice wasn't enough this time.
Sandspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 422
You can't velcor stupid I mean you can't fix stupid with velcro!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 422
On your behalf though. We had a lady crash on a Trollhaugen dual sport ride and we put her handle bars back on with zip ties....a lot of them
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote