User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Celtic Curmudgeon OP
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 285
Corpus Christi Chief of Police Killed in off-duty motorcycle accident

I've known Floyd for nearly 30 years - one of the few commanders who lived up the hype, and was admired and respected by everyone who knew him. He really was an awesome guy. Not clear what happened, but it doesn't really matter.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/well-liked-veteran-dallas-pd-assistant-chief-who-took-top-job-in-corpus-christi-killed-in-motorcycle-accident.html/
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,629
Sad to hear of this.

It's always the good guys. He certainly gave much of himself in those years of LE, and made many positive differences in peoples lives that will continue on or perhaps be realized later.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
. Not clear what happened, but it doesn't really matter.
What happened absolutely matters, a LOT ...

If riders can see where and how accidents happen, it helps them avoid the same fate. I have learned a lot from others accidents, it helps me be a better rider. In aviation, millions are spent analyzing accidents, and giving this information to pilots to avoid repeats.

Thankfully, the article had enough detail to get a pretty good picture. Lesson learned: Make sure you helmet is strapped on well. Something I was thinking about while riding over the weekend, since I almost rode off having forgotten to close my chinstrap...

It just sucks that a good guy, someone that has contributed a so much to his community goes down like that. I am sure that a guy like him would have wanted others to learn from his accident.

Mike
Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
mceee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
His brothers in blue from Florida will be praying. The word we got was that he was traveling on his Harley when a pick-up truck being driven by a 16 yr old veered into his lane. The Chief took evasive action and layed his bike down. His helmet somehow dislodged and his head struck the pavement causing massive head trauma. God's speed Chief.
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 1,050
Sadness

Thoughts and prayers to he and his survivors.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 186
Damn, may he RIP...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,573
RIP to Floyd, wheels to the sky brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceee View Post
The Chief took evasive action and layed his bike down.
This isn't proper evasive action....in fact quite the opposite. No disrespect to you, but a lot of new riders come here looking for advice. You should never do this on purpose.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
MotoJedeye
C'mon Guy

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
I've known Floyd for nearly 30 years - one of the few commanders who lived up the hype, and was admired and respected by everyone who knew him. He really was an awesome guy. Not clear what happened, but it doesn't really matter.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015...accident.html/

RIP. This is aweful.
MotoJedeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
mceee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

This isn't proper evasive action....in fact quite the opposite. No disrespect to you, but a lot of new riders come here looking for advice. You should never do this on purpose.

I don't remember anyone saying that it was proper, it was a quote from the teletype that my department was sent. And who are you to judge, he did what he could and didn't make it, no fault of his!
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #10
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:

Considering we don't really know anything about the circumstances it's pretty hard to say what was or wasn't proper evasive action, don't ya think?
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,573
It sucks, sounds like a team leader and all around good guy! LEO's are missing this guy everywhere....

Quote:
And who are you to judge, he did what he could and didn't make it, no fault of his!
No judging, it's fact. And as I stated it is no disrespect to him, but people come here looking for advice and maybe there is something else that could've been done to prevent his death....even just fastening his helmet properly could've saved his life. I come here to learn, as do others. And he more than likely didn't do it on purpose, I'm correcting the reporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Considering we don't really know anything about the circumstances it's pretty hard to say what was or wasn't proper evasive action, don't ya think?

It is NEVER evasive action that should be taken. Rubber on the road gives you options....

Again....Godspeed Floyd!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It is NEVER evasive action that should be taken. Rubber on the road gives you options....
Nobody ever said it was evasive action in the first place. The article says he took evasive action AND "laid down his bike" as he was headed for a ditch. It doesn't say he did it purposely. For all we know he did absolutely nothing wrong. And for the record, we also don't know that he didn't properly fasten his helmet. Something could have failed.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Her comment was proper. She was responding to a previous post that said:

Quote:
snip

The Chief took evasive action and layed his bike down. His helmet somehow dislodged and his head struck the pavement causing massive head trauma.

snip
That is never ever an acceptable evasive action and reaction. The whole "layed 'er down" mythos needs to be untaught.

--Bill
Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Her comment was proper. She was responding to a previous post that said:

That is never ever an acceptable evasive action and reaction. The whole "layed 'er down" mythos needs to be untaught.

--Bill
I disagree. Please read the post after that one. At best, it's all very ambiguous and what you are inferring may not be accurate.

Call me crazy, but the fact that this poor guy was killed and people are inferring that he did something wrong with no evidence at all to support that is bothering me a little.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
....even just fastening his helmet properly could've saved his life.
FWIW - a helmet can be fastened properly, with the strap pulled up TIGHT, and the helmet can still come off...

...IF the helmet doesn't fit properly.

Back when I was road-racing, several people had their helmet come off during a crash. One case was someone I knew - I watched him crash in front of me in practice at high speed. The force of his impact with the ground sent his helmet flying. The strap was tight, and intact. It was determined that a helmet could be rolled off forward on the head depending on brand/size/headshapes.
Everyone had to bring their helmets to tech after that for a fit check - to try forcing the helmet off by rotating it forward. There were a few that failed the test.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote