Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #241
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Ha ha I'm kind of busted. I do play video games but on a PC not a video console.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #242
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,256
It's all good, we old timers can show you how to change a tire by yourself on a trail, get a drowned bike running, and maybe show ya some trails that inspire us.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #243
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Gosh knows, I need the help. Ride safe, old timer.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #244
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I am 58 and just got back from a short dirt blast.
I just got a smaller lighter bike and push that to the limit.
Big bikes in the dirt are not a good idea for older guys, but smaller lighter ones keep you in shape.

I went from a dr650 to a tw200 which was a bit too slow, to an old xt200 which is a hoot.
I do not plan on giving up dirt riding anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
You don't say how old you are, but I think anybody who is 40 or over and still riding dirt is insane and asking to be crippled for life.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #245
75bronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
You don't say how old you are, but I think anybody who is 40 or over and still riding dirt is insane and asking to be crippled for life.
This is just friggin ridiculous!
75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #246
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,066
^^^^^ What he said.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #247
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Ron View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have been giving it heavy thought over the last couple of days and this is my first time back on here only to find 3 pages of comments. Thanks!
To clarify things:

1. We are financially set, my wife would never have to work outside the home should she choose.
  2. My wife has ALWAYS encouraged my passion for riding, its always cleared my head and help calm me down when stressed.
  3. I have logged over 100k miles of dual sport riding, so I have pretty much been through it all. This is not the first time Ive been down, so Im not considering quitting just because I laid it down once. The drive to ride isnt the same as before (which is a complete shock to me).
  4. Yes it was rider error. What was my hurry someone asked? Beautiful day in the Rocky Mountains on winding mountain roads, no hurry just enjoying the curves. Wasnt that I couldnt hold the corner, just leaned too far and dragged the peg and my foot too hard causing me not to recover in time in the corner. 45mph road. I was doing 50, but hit the 25mph corner and thought I could hold it. Oh well, it happens.
  5. I agree, I think Ill take the rest of the year off. Sell the Africa Twin for now and see what next year brings. My son is 14 and I saw him gawking at a 67 Mustang Fastback. Maybe its time for a Father/Son project and worry about riding once the itch is back. Until then, maybe Ill get back into drag racing and show my kid how we used to do it back in the day!
Thanks for sharing your story. I have been riding since I was 15 and took time off for about 8 years around the time my first and second were born. The passion to ride came back and my better half fully supported the move to get back into riding. Since that time I have logged many more hours introducing my daughter and son to riding and probably sparked another generation of riders. The big difference in riding after the break was always wearing the gear and that I have the number one priority of making it home as always.
SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #248
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
LOL. Around here when a large group of trail riders stop and remove their helmets it's often a sea of grey and/or balding heads.

Over the half-century mark for me. I'm slow and I don't do MX because I suck and big air and DDD don't mix well but I still like to get off pavement pretty regularly. Insane? Insanity is thinking you'll live forever. Plenty of time to be dead, only a finite amount of time to live.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #249
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
I turned 50 this past March and just got back into dirt riding. Man I sure did miss the rush from single tracks and whoops. Im mosly a road commuter but not afraid of the dirt . I guess its a frame of mind. Maybe its a mid life thing but if it is I like it and want more
Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #250
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
This garnered a chuckle out of me.

My epiphany came last year as I was living out of a chair in our living room after an accident on the way home from work. Several broken ribs and internal injuries.

I was just sitting there day after day watching my life pass me by. Missed family activities, the kids games. Couldn't sit at the dinner table.

Also, my wife made a normal 35 minute drive from her place of employment to the hospital I was taken to in 20 minutes. The look on her face (of deep concern) when she stepped into the ER room is still vivid. Believe it or not, she was OK with whatever I decided in regards to motorcycles...God bless her.

I decided to hang it up. That next spring, my unrelenting desire to ride every day that I have had the previous 7 years was gone...zero.

Sold the bikes and the Prius and bought a Jeep Wrangler. Almost as fun as a motorcycle. Took it to the San Juans this past summer and solidified a new hobby.

This questions has been asked before and will be asked again and again. For me, the choice I made to stop riding was very clear.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #251
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Ill stop riding street someday now that I have a little daughter, street riding anyway, track riding will always be part of my life.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #252
Mcreviver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Gray hair and Helmets

"LOL. Around here when a large group of trail riders stop and remove their helmets it's often a sea of grey and/or balding heads."

What we old timers need is a helmet with built in hair dye. Every time you take it off, you look younger.
Mcreviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #253
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I've just about given up street riding. Too much risk with not enough reward. One of my close friends just bought a bike and is excited to ride everywhere, even tooling around town and riding to starbucks. I remember back when that was fun to me, now it seems idiotic and a waste of gas.

I ride a lot of dirt and I've slowed way down. The more I've ridden my dirtbikes the less I want to ride on the street. Mostly because I know how much it hurts to fall at 20mph let alone at 60.

Once in awhile I will treat myself to a little street ride. I flew to thailand this year and rented a supermoto, spent a week riding around the countryside at a very relaxed pace. A couple months back I rode through BC on a borrowed FZ1, but never broke the speed limit by more than 10. When the twisties came I was happy to hang in the back and just enjoy the scenery. A few years ago I would be in front trying to drag a knee.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #254
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesx2 View Post
I turned 50 this past March and just got back into dirt riding. Man I sure did miss the rush from single tracks and whoops. Im mosly a road commuter but not afraid of the dirt . I guess its a frame of mind. Maybe its a mid life thing but if it is I like it and want more

sold it and Im done. One crash on the road is enough
Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #255
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 355
During the Rally in the Gorge I went for a ride with three older guys. I must say the one guy scared the piss out of me when we got to a recreation area. He was trying to back up a little and slipped on some pine needles he fell and pinned himself between the bike and a large log. I was the only one that could lift the bike off of him. If he would have gone down at any speed other than dead stop he would have severly injured himself. I suggested to his friends they try to talk him out of anymore motorcycle riding.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote