Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 813
At 66 years old it's all about risk management. Started in 1978. Done 48 States and 9 Canadian Provinces and 5 Cross Country Trips. No regrets. As I have aged, my attitude has changed:

I don't commute to work.............too many diseased maniacs at rush hour.

I try to ride with at least one other person that I know and trust.

Large/busy parking lots are of real concern to me so I avoid them.

I have had to let my mental ability take over for my physical decline.

A margin of safety has overtaken my need for speed.

I have zero pressure from my S.O. either way.

I know the day will come where I will quit.

Doc
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
SmithSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Here's another way to look at it. If I understood you correctly, you said your wife had never before told you she had a bad feeling about one of your rides. But she did about this one, and you crashed--so maybe her rare bad feelings mean something.

But maybe all it means is that you should not ride when your wife and/or daughter sense that something is wrong.

Do they think it would be "bad" for you to continue to ride, or did they just feel "bad" about this particular ride?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
If you need to quit,quit. There are many instant ways to be taken out of this world. Be a shame to quit riding and get smooshed driving a dumb ass cage to work. Life is a risk,watching TV is largely a total waste of time.
Many risks happen during each day,shame to miss out on what a person enjoys in life for non gauranteed safety.

A guy can have 10 different insurance policies,but its imagined security.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithSwede View Post
Here's another way to look at it. If I understood you correctly, you said your wife had never before told you she had a bad feeling about one of your rides. But she did about this one, and you crashed--so maybe her rare bad feelings mean something.

But maybe all it means is that you should not ride when your wife and/or daughter sense that something is wrong.

Do they think it would be "bad" for you to continue to ride, or did they just feel "bad" about this particular ride?
Im not too sure about this one,going into a corner too fast and falling off is whats called "rider error" not any kind of special fatalistic fortelling.
Too much speed,not watching whats going on closely enough, and a person can fall down.
Concentration.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Good question

But, there is another option. The Pause button. You don't have to quit, you can just busy yourself with your 6 kids and see that any time for riding is super minimal. When that happens and you do get the time to go on a ride, take it easy as your skills are rusty. Trust me, I know this and you will feel it too. When my little girl was very little, I did less than 1000 miles one year and I used to have 4 bikes in the garage.

My time was spent more on short bicycle trips and runs because I only had an hour or so by myself.

You also now know that if your family mentions a legitimate concern and you push it aside you will feel bad. I also can't help but mention that the wife probably has the "I told you so" thought in her mind. It may come out as "remember what happened last time..." but it is still an "I told you so." Good luck with that!

Another thought is with 6 kids, I would get a serious amount of life insurane. You may think your wife is hugely attractive, but with 6 kids, other guys can't get over that to "fill in" where you left off. Just my .02.

I have a good amount of life insurance and it helps me not worry about that while I am riding or in a plane.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
I suggest you think about why you entered that curve too fast. Why the hurry ?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I'm 60 and was off the bikes for about 6 months a while back because of a physical rehab period. The whole damn time, all I thought about was getting back on the bikes. I'd limp in and out of the garage constantly and just look and dream about getting back out there again. I've been riding since I was a teenager. I've gone years without riding, especially when the kids were young and my responsibilites were greater. However, never in my mind did I ever think it was time to hang it up. It just never occured to me. I just always seem to be back on another bike sooner than later. Its always been the one thing in my life that was worth taking a risk for. Its that one selfish indulgence that everyone in my life has always had to understand. Maybe its just time for you to take a break, and let a little time go by. Most folks like us never give it up forever.
Nookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 656
I didn't ride when my kids were young. Having the time of my life now!

I have a friend whose grandfather worked on the Titanic. Some of the workers were chosen to sail on the maiden voyage to fix anything that needed it. He was one of those. Before the ship sailed his wife had a dream and insisted he not go. He listened to her and thus was around to have the daughter who is my friend's mother. Weird as it seems, sometimes you do have to listen to the dreams.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 528
I am also waiting until my kids have grown up a bit more to ride the road. Instead of stopping altogether, I traded my street-legal bike for dirt bikes for the whole family! All three of my young sons and my wife can be found putting around the local trails. We are having a blast!

I certainly miss riding on the street, but I know I will get the chance to get back to it during the next stage of my life.
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,548
65 and want back on a bike

Interesting timing this thread. I'm 65 and am looking for a new ride. Had a 1050 tiger I loved and sold it when I got laid off. Now have had a job for over a year and want back on a bike. I really miss riding. I don't see any reason not to ride. No, I'm not 21. (or 42) but I know my limits and think I am safe. Kids are grown with grand kids But I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else. I think it's the same decision as always - risk vs rewards. Can you manage the risks? Slow down? I'll keep looking till I find the right deal. I am grumpy enough. Riding makes me happy.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Hell, Ron!

Glad we are discussing this rather than having you be lucky #7 on that curve there.

It's an interesting question you posed. I've thought about that one off and on since I learned that Robert Pirsig no longer rides. Well at +/-90 year old, there's no questioning that one. I've never thought to hang it up but I'm no Papa and my wife loves to ride on her own as well.

But if you view your life as something precious to protect, you will always be afraid of death and therefore be haunted by this question: To Ride or not to Ride.

When we ride motorcycles, we are (hopefully) in the moment and therefore have no consideration of Life or Death. It is the experience of the moment, pure and simple. Life at its fullest, so to speak,

I would suggest that all the spookiness you received at the start of your trip stayed with you in your subconscious and precipitated the result you experienced. There is another way to approach that moment. If your wife doesn't want you to go, if your child has bad dreams, then don't go and tell them you care about them enough not to make them worry.

Later on, when they calm down, take off on your trip with a clean conscience.

Sure, they can say scared, never let you go cleanly, and ask you to never ride again: sell the demon machine and stay home and safe and by their side always. In cases like that, you can be honest about the passion in your life and ease them into the same feeling of love for motorcycling.

To impart that honestly to them, you must also see how life is nothing more than a collection of experiences... not a precious something-or-another to protect at all cost.

Death is the counterpart of Birth. We all die. Life, on the other hand, has no end as the medium for all our experiences.

Sound good? Hope you fix your ride soon.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Ride or not, that's all up to you. I'm just curious why six have died and more have crashed? What's wrong with the corner?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,303
When I had my first kid, my 1200 bandit started collecting dust. A year later, I only put on 80 miles or so. I thought it was time to quit for a while, so I sold the bike. A month later, I had two project bikes in the garage. When they were done, I had to do some test riding and such, which was a blast. While I was not riding, I started reloading (which is safer, really?) and tried building a couple of 1911s. But the itch was there. I bought another bike, rode around a bit, then, the year my second kid was born, I sold some stuff and bought my current ride (650GS) and started doing this whole 'adventure' thing. I ride as much as I can (with two kids and all), bought a smaller bike for the woods, and continue restoring old UJMs to keep me busy during off-riding season. My wife understands, my kids understand. I need to ride for my own sanity, and doing so improves the life quality of my loved ones. If I were to stop, I would be miserable, which, in turn, would not make me a good role model for my kids. Yes, I wear more gear than before, I carry a life insurance, and I make sure all the major chores are done before a bike trip (what if, right), but I actually ride more these days than a few years ago. That being said, I make sure that my insurance is up to date, there is enough wood to heat the house for a whole winter, my living will is current, and my wife can get by should I be unable to do the necessary work for a while.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #29
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
My father's story about riding is much the same.
Two young children and a wife saying, "I just don't feel good about you going out, today."
He was rear-ended at a T-intersection by a drunk driver-- a full size van. Spent a couple days in the hospital, but a 100% recovery.

After that, the "What-if's" began to weigh much more heavily...and in turn, so did the dust on the bike.
He sold the bike a few years later...I was about 5 years old. He claimed he didn't miss it, but you would still catch him checking out the passing bikes.

By the time I hit age 11, he sweet talked my mother into buying dirtbikes...small ones...just to play around.

Instead of going 65mph on three-day treks through yellowstone and such, he still got to scratch the itch at 7mph while I practiced shifting into 2nd gear. Fast forward many years later and we both still have dirtbikes...though they did grow in size. We still ride...but we see very little time on the pavement.

My vote...take the fall/winter off and spend time with the kids. Re-evaluate this spring...
...and never under-estimate how much fun you can have on a small dual-sport.
bscman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Spooky stuff.... No one can tell you when to quit. Has to come from within. You have children which makes a BIG difference. I do not, so......I keep on goin'. If you feel you should stop, do so. Listen to that inner voice. You will probably take it up again later when it seems right. Others poo-poo that intuition. I do not and have not. Some days it just doesn't feel right and I don't go.

My .02 cents.
Well said go with your gut feelings. Young kids are great and important but they don't know what they're talking about neither do ladies who don't ride.. I really don't like in city crazy traffic anymore so I compromise and find a back road around the city. Yeah screws up the planned time frame but I've pretty much given up on firm schedules too. I've had anxiety before riding sometimes and rode anyway till the cob webs blew out of my head. The more often you ride the less time for cob webs to form. No one can tell you when to quit and drive a mini-van. You'll know when. If in doubt go for a ride and think about it afterwards. It don't mean you don't love/care about your wife or kids. There are no Motorcycle Gods or real Gods guaranteeing anything. I plan to ride til my mid-late 80's if my body holds up and the brain can keeps a grip on situational awareness (aka: survival instincts). If either rot enough to the point of ok I just can't do this anymore is it's more fear than fun I'll quit but I'm dumb/stubborn enough to fight it till my guts speak to me. Good luck on your decision don't make it lightly. Try some of that 'look inwards' hippy dippy crap. Quitting ridding is a big step for a lot of folks. Don't fool yourself into selling out and maybe getting back into it a fews later. Odds are you won't and even if you do you'll be starting over w/o the edge that previously kept you alive. If you do quit it ain't the end of the world but your world will be way different. Don't let me or anyone else decide for you. It's an inner gut call listen there...you'll know.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote