Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #46
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cky View Post
I'm 32, married and have 2 children

In May 2008 I went down, and broke both arms.....(3yo & 9mth old)

In May 2012 I went down and broke my right ankle - with surgery (7yo & 4yo)

This is in the dirt, I ride hard..

I've sold the bike, I am mostly recovered now...

With work, and wife, and kids and mortgage I've realized that I don't mind the risk of hurting myself (it comes with the territory I guess) - but I ain't going to put up with the recovery again.

I nearly lost my job, had expensive hospital bills to pay, was in the doghouse with the missus, and my little 7yo girl cried when she visited me in hospital with the ankle. 7yo, big blue eyes, and sadness that cannot be described..

That was enough for me. Each man will make his own decision for his own reasons.

I've taken up road & mountain bike cycling. Yeah you can hurt yourself..but you're going slower...downhill single track, on a high quality 29er gives me the rush/thrill/adrenaline that I need, whilst also providing the 'alone time' that a family man needs - plus I'm as fit as I've been since I was 16.

Don't get me wrong - I love motorbikes - but in the weigh up there can only be one winner, depending on your responsibilities and circumstances.
I understand everything your saying,broken bones suck,kids need to be fed.
How ever,Ive ridden bicycles of all sorts since I was a small child,along with motorcycles since I was about 11.
Ive cracked bones racing flattrack and trailriding,I ride hard also.

Ive broken bones in half where theres a big gap in the x-ray and shit needed to be done to get them back together,but only on mt bikes. Ive got a Kona 29er 4" travel currently but I ride it conservatively on downhills (somewhat)
Im just saying the thrill of downhills on mt bikes can translate into emergency room visits in a heartbeat.
Dont imagine they're safer cause they dont have a engine. Bicycles have no throttle and thus cant be saved from disaster like a motorcicle,+ they handle like a shopping cart with twine wrapped around 1 wheel compared to a good dirt bike.

Have fun,be a little careful. Im not quitting!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #47
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabagram View Post
I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this, but I was "spooked" a few times in the last month prior to purchasing a 2011 KTM 990. I agonized over the decision to buy a bigger bike for months, but in the 2 or 3 weeks prior to purchase, I had several things that gave me pause for thought aside from all the motorcycle accidents I see on the news

I sold a nice boat that hadn't been getting used figuring the funds would make purchasing a more expensive bike an easier decision. The buyer tells me his brother was killed on a motorcycle.

I ride to a local mexican hole in the wall for a burrito. An EMT walks in, orders, then asks me if that's my bike. He says it's good to see that I'm wearing all the gear because he had to give up riding after pulling too many body parts off the road in bike accidents.

I'm making a 4 hour drive between St Louis and Louisville completely consumed in thought when arrive at the question "Is the risk I'm wanting to take fair to my wife and two grade school daughters who depend on me?" Then I see a few cars pulled over on the side of the interstate. I see emergency vehicles far in the distance in front and behind me. I look over to see a man putting a towel over the badly mutilated body sitting inside a vehicle that apparently departed the shoulder and flipped. I wonder about his/her family.

I'm working on restoring a 1952 John Deere model B tractor last week. I pause and sit down on a bucket, again agonizing over the deposit I just put on a bike a day earlier. Something smacks me hard square in the forehead. I'm stunned for a second, look down between my feet, and see a huge bumble bee crawl in a circle, roll over and die.

So I chalk it all up to me trying to find meaning in events that have none, buy the bike, and have been enjoying it.

But part of me still wonders.
Youve figured it out,there are no gaurantees on a single thing in this world,anybody can check out at anytime doing the most banal thing imaginable.
Both my parents were risk oriented people and cheered me on when I started racing flattrack at age 15,most parents would be horrified and put their foot down.
Ive done all sorts of things on bikes,sometimes I get butterflies before leaving on a big trip but once on the bike,I feel like theres no problem as long as I concentrate and dont do stupid things.
If all I thought about was"Oh jeez Im going to be killed" I wouldnt bother riding.
Confidence,concentration,awareness of one's surroundings,and keeping all skills up to par.
Most all wrecks are preventable,riding off the road in a corner just means you arent watching whats going on.
Getting hit in an intersection means the same thing,cant trust cars..at all.
Some guys get nailed on their streetbike and dont stop to think maybe it was their own fault.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #48
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post

Small story about flying. A CEO I used to work for flew himself to well sites, etc. After an engine overhaul, he didn't like the sound of the engine. The A&P and others went over it again and again saying there is nothing wrong.

CEO figures he is spooked because there is nothing wrong with the engine. He sells the airplane. Within 7 hours, the new owner went down - engine failure of some sort.
Ill tell you why this isnt a good comparison....apart from the motorbikes, im an avid v w busser..... somehow i do better fixing that technology than i do new motorbikes.... anyhoo, when i start it up, i can diagnose whatever you can name by incredibly subtle changes in the beat of the engine, the rhythms, the smells.... that isnt intuition or being spooked as much as experience. Sliding out on a corner does not exactly fall into this category!
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #49
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
I did not ride while I raised my kid. It is just as sweet to ride now.

Maybe sweeter.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Ron View Post
...My son is 14 and I saw him gawking at a 67 Mustang Fastback. Maybe its time for a Father/Son project and worry about riding once the itch is back. Until then, maybe Ill get back into drag racing and show my kid how we used to do it back in the day!
Awesome! I love the 66-67 fastbacks. It would not be hard to build one that can outrun the Africa Twin. My Camaro accelerates a bit faster, and has about 50mph more top speed than my Aprilia. It is difficult to decide which one to take on trips sometimes. Autocross and/or drag racing can be great family activities.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
Hey. Not gonna stop but a near miss has got me thinking about slowing down a little. Haven't been on a bike in a month since the rear stepped out going stupid feckin' fast on a wore out borrowed TKC rear, literally slammed the inside peg on the pavement so hard it popped me back upright. I can tell myself it's the 100 degree heat keeping me off the bikes but...

It'll make a thinkin' fella think and somebody like me? Well, it at least makes me wonder.

But I'm riding tomorrow.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #52
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
I won't bore you with the injury report, but with full AGATT and being in very, very good physical shape, blunt force trauma will kick the snot out of you. I'm a year down the road from a pile up and sudden stop still wearing a 250 Kawi. The doc who repaired my aorta told me, "half the people I do that procedure for die." Cheery thought since it was a 95% fatality accident I had.
Darwin says quit. It will be another year before I'd consider getting back on a bike. Takes a lot longer to heal when you're an old fart. I'd be 68 if I started riding again then. Probably couldn't take another hit. Not worried about dying, long term injury requiring the family's care is not fair to them. It has taken me a full year to realize that I'm done.
Or, maybe that Trail 90 is in my future....

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #53
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Pray

Quote:
The night before I was to head out on the CDT ride, my wife informs me she has NEVER felt good about it. She has never said that to me before. Ive gone to the Arctic Circle, Iceland, Central America all within the last couple of years and she never has said anything. I chalk it up to jitters. About 5AM I wake up to my 4 year old lil girl (I have 6 kids total) screaming! She was having a bad dream (never happened before). She said that I was going to ride my motorcycle to heaven and not say goodbye!!!??? I dont scare easily, but I have to admit the hair on my neck raised.

I went on the trip anyway....

Hit a corner too fast about an hour into the trip and couldnt hold the corner. Went off the road and indoed (sp?) the bike. Totaled the bike but it was like I landed on a pile of feathers!!

Guy comes out of his house and says 6 other riders in the last year have died on that corner and he thought I was #7.

Im just glad I came away completely unscathed. I never dreamed I would stop riding, but now this has got me thinking twice. The old saying "you know when you know" sure holds true. I just cant believe that I have no desire to ride...... maybe ever.....
Ron it may not be everyone's answer, but I pray before every ride. Some things we take for granted, waking up is one.

Dirtbiker screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:42 PM Reason: Text
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #54
Colorado Ron OP
Expedition Junkie

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Ron it may not be everyone's answer, but I pray before every ride. Some things we take for granted, waking up is one.

AMEN TO THAT!!! I pray as well. What I didnt add was the fact that everything told me not to get on. But, I had 2 riding partners that were waiting on me and like an idiot I didnt want to tell them "my girl had a bad dream" so Im not going. LOL Now its all over and no bike left to ride. Oh well, we all learn and grow. Thats what life is all about. I just hope that anyone else that get the heebeejeebees and has read this post will act on it and save themselves some long term headaches or worse.

On another note, I just went back up and looked over the wreck site. The one thing that has puzzled me is how I didnt even feel the impact. Like I said before, was like landing on a pillow. Where I landed was nothing but jagged rocks and pine trees. How I walked away without even a sore muscle is a miracle to me. I think I have some angels to thank when I get to the other side

83 R80ST | 93 R100GS PD | 02 Ducati Monster |93 Honda Africa Twin | 08 KLR | 01 F650 Dakar | 79 CT90 | 68 CT90 | .......?

OverlandJourney.TV
Online Overland Videos
Colorado Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #55
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,715
Been feeling increasingly uneasy about riding lately. So the bikes go on the trailer and I putz around off-road.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
AMEN TO THAT!!! I pray as well. What I didnt add was the fact that everything told me not to get on. But, I had 2 riding partners that were waiting on me and like an idiot I didnt want to tell them "my girl had a bad dream" so Im not going. LOL Now its all over and no bike left to ride. Oh well, we all learn and grow. Thats what life is all about. I just hope that anyone else that get the heebeejeebees and has read this post will act on it and save themselves some long term headaches or worse.

On another note, I just went back up and looked over the wreck site. The one thing that has puzzled me is how I didnt even feel the impact. Like I said before, was like landing on a pillow. Where I landed was nothing but jagged rocks and pine trees. How I walked away without even a sore muscle is a miracle to me. I think I have some angels to thank when I get to the other side
You're a wise man, many wouldn't give it a second thought and just head merrily on their way. You were protected brother
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #57
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
In the end you are the only one to decide whether to continue to ride. I took a 5year hiatus when my kids were young, because I realized I was doing stupid things on a motorcycle and they needed me.

Now I am old, retired, the kids are gone and the wife is financially secure. Besides almost turning 70 I have a chronic nerve desease that slowly effects my balance. I have lost the ability to do many things I enjoyed.

I am more stable on the bike than I am walking. Watching me ride you would not know there was a problem, but I do and my wife( a non rider) who watches me stumble around wants me to quit.

I have options. I don't ride on week ends to avoid the tourist. I have scaled back on the terrain I ride. I try to ride with others, but not many my age ride. Right now I am debating selling the heavier of the 2 bikes I own.

I think any one who questions whether he should be riding or loses confidence in his ability should give it a rest.

Tough decision but only you know what is right. I hope to know when it is time, as it is about the only thing left that I enjoy doing.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 10:22 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #58
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Good stuff.

I enjoyed reading these because I see a lot of myself in some of the responses. I started riding when I was a kid, on dirt. I got my motorcycle license shortly after my car license at 16, and got my first streetbike the following year as a high school graduation present -- a blue 1975 BMW R60/6. Fast-forward 12 years and several bikes later, and I was living in Los Angeles, riding my Honda RC51 every day, spending my weekend mornings in the canyons above Malibu.

That Fall, my wife and I found out she was pregnant. We planned to break the news to our family at Christmas. On Thanksgiving weekend, I got up at 6am for my Sunday ride, and spent three hours riding my favorite canyon loops with a stop at the Rock Store for a cup of coffee.

On the way home, I decided to run Piuma Road, a very twisty section in the Santa Monica Mtns, and a favorite road that I had ridden probably 200 times. I had dialed back to probably 70% of my early-morning pace because the later it gets, the more cars there are to worry about. As I rounded a blind, tight right-hander at around 35 mph, I was leaned over pretty good but I vividly remember that I was thinking about the maintenance I had to do on the bike that winter... New chain, sprockets, probably a new rear tire while I'm at it, etc... I was in the left tire groove, to help me see around the corner a bit better. In an instant, an SUV coming the other way was over the center stripe directly in my line, and instead of pushing on my right bar to try tightening my line to get out of her way, the panic reflex kicked in and I grabbed brake. The bike stood up instantly and BOOM. We collided head-on in the center of the road as the driver tried to swerve back into her own lane. I hit the bumper, then the hood, then the windshield, then the road in front of her car. I tried to stand up, but my left leg collapsed under me.

The next crystal-clear memory is of sitting there in the middle of the road, looking at my crumpled bike, and thinking, "I'm about to be a dad. What the hell am I doing here?"

Torn ACL, LCL and PCL, extensive nerve damage and some gnarly bruises, but thankfully no broken bones. Consider this a commercial for Vanson racing leathers -- go buy some.

I also remember the CHP officer who responded to the scene walking over to where I was sitting on the side of the road, and asking me why I was there. I told him I was the rider. The look on his face was startling. He said, "Wow, I can't believe I'm talking to you right now. When I rolled up on the scene and saw the bike, I thought for certain we had a fatality. You're one lucky son of a bitch."

He's right -- I was. That was 10 years ago.

I'm now the proud parent of an amazing 9-year-old son and an equally amazing 6-year-old daughter. And I can honestly say, even after witnessing the birth and growth of both of our children, the urge to ride was still alive inside me. I fought it pretty successfully, though. I cancelled all my magazine subscriptions and stopped following the new bike models. I took up golf. I threw myself into my work. But my wife saw that I was still struggling with it deep down, because she knows what riding means to me. It's part of who I am as a person, and I can't separate it. A few years after the crash, after many long, late conversations and a lot of soul-searching, for my birthday she arranged for me to rent a Harley Heritage Softail on a perfect, sunny Saturday.

I admit I was nervous as hell. I didn't want to ride it at first. Forget the fact that my surgically-repaired left leg was still a liability, even with a custom, carbon fiber brace. My son was now three years old, being his dad was the most incredible experience, life was good... Why would I want to put that in jeopardy? Was I being selfish? I WAS being selfish, I told myself. But she wanted me to do this. And deep inside, I knew I NEEDED to do this. So I took it out for a spin. And where did I go? I headed straight back to Piuma for a date with my demons.

Two things were immediately apparent: A Heritage Softail ain't no RC51. And I was rusty. I took it slow and easy, shook off my jitters and feelings of self-loathing, and ended up thoroughly enjoying the chance to reconnect with a side of me that had been put to sleep.

That one ride was enough to last me another seven years. Until last December when I visited my brothers in San Diego. Between the two of them they have a BMW GS, Road King, CBR929RR, and a VFR750. We planned a long morning ride, and I landed on the 929. I wanted to hate the experience. I actually talked to myself inside my helmet. "Your boy-racer days are over... You're older / fatter / more mature... You don't need this much power, this isn't fun like it used to be, your knees won't stay bent like this anymore..." But it was a blast! The old me came back. It was literally as if I found my old self standing on the side of the road somewhere along that route, and picked him up.

The next six months after that trip were not easy on my wife! And honestly, they were tough for me too. I knew I wanted to get another bike -- I felt like I needed to get one in order to be the person I really am. But I was battling the same feelings of selfishness, responsibility, pressure from family and friends who couldn't believe I would ever consider riding again. I AGONIZED over it. Tortured myself and, by her proximity, my wife too. But it finally came down to this simple thing: I'm a happier husband / father / friend / co-worker -- a better person -- when I have the outlet and personal satisfaction of riding a motorcycle.

Once I got through my "process" and convinced myself I was ready to buy another bike, I then had to come to peace with the idea that I was not getting another sportbike. I realized I don't need the temptation. If the power and handling are there, I want to use them. I looked at every bike out there, but kept coming back to a conversation I'd had with my brother before our December ride. He said that if he could keep only one bike forever, it would be his GS, because it does everything well. Soon afterward, I came across a mint 2011 GSA on Craigslist and I went for it.

It has turned out to be exactly what I wanted, what I needed. I love riding it.

I don't think I'll ever stop thinking about the what-ifs and worst-case scenarios, or entirely get past the feelings of guilt, selfishness, irresponsibility -- pick your term -- that come with getting another bike. As a parent, how could I? But I believe I've taken the right steps to mitigate as much risk as possible:

1) I have good insurance (vehicle, medical and life).
2) I wear top-quality protective gear at all times.
3) I ride early. On most mornings between 5am and 7am, I have the roads around Harriman State Park to myself, and I like it that way (well, it's me and the deer so I still have to be cautious!).
4) I don't push the envelope. I ride within my capabilities, and leave ego at home.
5) I avoid riding in groups. I prefer to ride alone, or at most with one or two others whose riding styles I know and decision-making I trust.

That's about it. If you made it through my entire diatribe, congrats -- you're probably the only one! Sorry it got so long; this topic is pretty close to home for me!

Ride safe all.

Fibzzz screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 03:47 PM
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #59
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Made it all the way through! Thanks for your story, as an expectant dad (any day now) it's near to my heart as well. It's nice to hear from someone a few years ahead of me in the journey!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #60
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,182
Do what makes you Comfortable! I mean that in the bige picture kinda way! And where is this Deadmans Curve? Sounds like one I would like to try!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/anima...1734129_530155