User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #76
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
But dont kid yourself, it's a hobby that can turn around and bite you on the ass if you or somebody else fuck up.
Been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I am 53, been riding since 1983, and have a KLR for offroad camping and a Concours for longer road trips. Ride maybe 10000 miles (16000 kms) a year or so. Just came back from a BC to Ontario ride on the road bike. Two close calls..both on Trans Canada Highway 16. One a near head-on when a car pulled out to pass (on a double line) a semi and the pickup in front of me had to basically hit the ditch to avoid it..I was next in line and managed to get over far enough while the a-hole split the difference between us all. Very close. The other was a semi that drifted way over the center-line on a corner into my lane. I saw it coming in time and got way over to the right..but very close again. So two close calls in 17 days of riding about 400-500 miles per day, not including the regular close passers, guys driving too close etc, plus three deer that stayed on the side of the road. We travel mostly secondary roads most of the time to avoid traffic but sometimes have no choice but to use the main highways in some areas.

I wear all the gear,all time..bright jacket, helmet, have extra driving lights and extra reflecters on my bikes etc. I stay away from packs of cars/trucks as much as I can and wave vehicles by when they start to stack up.. Still, my closest calls have come out of the blue and I admit it is getting worrisome to me. Have I had enough? No, not yet, but I think about it more these days than I used to. It is a hobby with serious fuck-up potential. They say so is walking across the street. Maybe time for a bit of a break till I figure it out...
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #77
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
sure, give up everything exciting " in case something happens"

that just means youll die doing something boring. when its your time its your time.

id rather die earlier after living a life filled with doing the stuff i love, why would i want to live longer if i dont get to spend that time riding bikes???

Forde screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 02:16 AM
Forde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #78
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
sure, give up everything exciting " in case something happens"

that just means youll die doing something boring. when its your time its your time.

id rather die earlier after living a life filled with doing the stuff i love, why would i want to live longer if i dont get to spend that time riding bikes???
If you really feel that way, if your life is truly about nothing more than motorcycles, if you have no other reason to live or get up every morning than a motorcycle then I hope you never go thru a medical issue that takes you off the bike.

So when is earlier, 16, 25, 35? Or is it an arbitrary number that moves farther out each year of your life?

It's not the dying part that bothers me so much. it's the ones where there is a head attached to a body that cant move and your whole family becomes a slave to babysitting you.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #79
blackx70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

But dont kid yourself, it's a hobby that can turn around and bite you on the ass if you or somebody else fuck up. Not trying a scare tactic, but in 45 years of riding I have lost probably 6 friends to accidents, for the most part self inflicted. The friend above, he came out of the accident, he didnt know anyone, not his kids, not his wife, not his parents, none of his old buds. He started out from scratch when he came out of the coma.

You can read thru some of the lest we forget in inmates, sobering thoughts
The reaper can come anytime and anywhere.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topsto...-year-old-girl
Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #80
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx70 View Post
The reaper can come anytime and anywhere.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topsto...-year-old-girl

Again, it aint the reaper I'm worried about. But as a side note, his job can be made easier some times.

Do you listen to the little voice in your head that every so often says, uh bad idea?

IBA 22425
Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #81
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
How old are you? Not being an ass, just curious. Age changes many, me included.
Oh, why? Do you mean you get old and then you are sure you will die riding a bike? If so, what age is the cutoff when this kicks in?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #82
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Oh, why? Do you mean you get old and then you are sure you will die riding a bike? If so, what age is the cutoff when this kicks in?

Nah, you get old and you are sure you are gonna die. You suddenly realize you are not an immortal. Once you get a couple of kids and decide you want to hang around and see them grow up. Has less to do with a motorcycle than a life style. I knew a lot of folks who thought 80 mph wheelies were fun, once they have a couple of little ones they may still think it's fun but their prioritys change to making sure their kids have a better life than they did.

If you dont fall into that category dont sweat it, but dont be so quick to judge those who do. Read around, lot of folks got out of it for awhile but once they got kids out of the way they re-entered the sport. Nothing at all wrong with that, what I think is really stupid is when someone gets a feeling they want to leave it behind and someone tries to convince them they should continue. Nobody knows what they should or shouldnt do but them,

IBA 22425
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #83
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
I'm not judging; I'm inquiring. You seem to be conflating age with responsibilities, though. I can not only see, but sympathize that once you have dependents, you can't be irresponsible with your life or health because you assumed that responsibility voluntarily.

All things have trade offs. There is a great deal of joy in family, but also you can't be both a family man and the bar hopping wheeling doing man of freedom. You recognize that your death doesn't affect you nearly as much as it now affects your loved ones. You becoming disabled is even worse because now you move from being an asset to your loved ones and become a liability - some pathetic basket case leaching them out of the wealth they'd need to live a decent life.

No, I think I get it, but it's not age. It's family.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #84
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I'm not judging; I'm inquiring. You seem to be conflating age with responsibilities, though. I can not only see, but sympathize that once you have dependents, you can't be irresponsible with your life or health because you assumed that responsibility voluntarily.

All things have trade offs. There is a great deal of joy in family, but also you can't be both a family man and the bar hopping wheeling doing man of freedom. You recognize that your death doesn't affect you nearly as much as it now affects your loved ones. You becoming disabled is even worse because now you move from being an asset to your loved ones and become a liability - some pathetic basket case leaching them out of the wealth they'd need to live a decent life.

No, I think I get it, but it's not age. It's family.
Hopefully the family isnt too early though. I've known 16 year old Dads who didnt recognize it, but I've known some 30 year olds with the same problem.

IBA 22425
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #85
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Ron View Post
The night before I was to head out on the CDT ride, my wife informs me she has NEVER felt good about it. She has never said that to me before. Ive gone to the Arctic Circle, Iceland, Central America all within the last couple of years and she never has said anything. I chalk it up to jitters. About 5AM I wake up to my 4 year old lil girl (I have 6 kids total) screaming! She was having a bad dream (never happened before). She said that I was going to ride my motorcycle to heaven and not say goodbye!!!??? I dont scare easily, but I have to admit the hair on my neck raised.

I went on the trip anyway....

Hit a corner too fast about an hour into the trip and couldnt hold the corner. Went off the road and indoed (sp?) the bike. Totaled the bike but it was like I landed on a pile of feathers!
Ron, I love everything about this story except the trashed bike. Your wife and daughter apparently getting a preview is really thrilling. Would you mind elaborating on the 'pile of feathers?' You must have given that a thought or two. What do you think happened there?

Glad you're OK. Trust your instincts.

HunSolo screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 12:39 PM
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #86
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Fwiw & the grammar police... It's spelled "Endo'd" which is short for "end over end." thank you Kaptain Kosmo from BMXaction cir. 1983.

Thank you. Feel free to Indoed all you want. I've said my peace.

2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #87
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
If you really feel that way, if your life is truly about nothing more than motorcycles, if you have no other reason to live or get up every morning than a motorcycle then I hope you never go thru a medical issue that takes you off the bike.

So when is earlier, 16, 25, 35? Or is it an arbitrary number that moves farther out each year of your life?

It's not the dying part that bothers me so much. it's the ones where there is a head attached to a body that cant move and your whole family becomes a slave to babysitting you.
i of course have other things in my life but bikes are a major part of it and something i share with most of my friends.

earlier is just anytime, i dont know/care really. when my time comes it comes. i just want to have spent my time before that doing stuff i love! if i quit bikes then when my time comes itll just be something else.

and yeah ive been in a very serious bike accident so aware of the risks.

sure you could give up bikes. but anything could happen at anytime. you could be in a accident at work or travelling to work in a car. you could get a disease, be assaulted by robbers who beat you up and leave you disabled, the list goes on forever.

it just seems so morbid and negative to give up something you love in case something happens.

imagine if you did give up biking now, and in ten years something else happens that leaves you in a bad way and unable to bike/do anything. id be thinking, "fuck. i wish i spent my last 10 years doing the things i love because now i cant".

you could keep biking til your 80 and never have another incident. you could quit biking tomorrow and take up something safe like lawn bowling and get hit by a bus on the way to the bowling club.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #88
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,577
I have a week of vacation coming up. But something tells me no long bike trip, stay local. Pisses me off, but hey, what if....
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #89
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
One of my friends that I haven't seen in a couple years texted me yesterday "I had a dream last night that you were in a horrible motorcycle accident and died. I saw your funeral. Please be careful and think about this when you're riding."

I thanked her for the concern and promptly told her I will most definitely not be thinking of that dream while I ride. I will however, continue to be careful.

I can't ride right now anyway, I have a broken arm. To be honest, this didn't spook me. It just made me think of this thread. She better not have jinxed me though, or I am haunting the crap out of her.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #90
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
I recently knocked up the wife and have had this stuff (quitting riding) on my mind. You know, the whole it's "more than me" concept that a previous poster had mentioned.

Sooo...I headed out of town (on the GS Adv) with a Gold Wing buddy for a Berkshires ride. For what I figured would be a final outing. Rode 400 miles in 24 hours.

Totally calm riding, no drama, no traffic. Had the time of my life. And now I can't imagine quitting.

-Eff