Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #91
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
You're the father of 6 kids. That's a huge responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I gave up bikes while my kids grew up. Now that they're on their own, I rejoined the brotherhood with a new enthusiasm and no more guilt over what might have happened had my hobby deprived my kids of their dad/breadwinner.
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #92
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineas Whipsnake View Post
You're the father of 6 kids. That's a huge responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I gave up bikes while my kids grew up. Now that they're on their own, I rejoined the brotherhood with a new enthusiasm and no more guilt over what might have happened had my hobby deprived my kids of their dad/breadwinner.
Brotherhood? Are you SAMCRO?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #93
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I have tho opposite considerations! I am about to turn 71, I have a new bike and am planning some tours throughout Central America. Yes, it would be a tradegy for my wife if something bad happens, but I feel I will regret what I don´t do more than I will regret having more ´´living´´ in my remaining years.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #94
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I get bad feelings some days, and I take it real easy. When I got my truck license the instructor and I were talking bikes. He told me he gave up street bikes b/c of cagers. He supplemented his need to ride with dirt bikes and said he wouldn't go back to the street.
I rode street bikes for 10 years before buying a dual sport, my dual sport has been traded for a barely street legal enduro. Even though I still use the roads a little I feel a little better riding in the dirt most of the time. Sure I can still get hurt, but at least I feel it's in my control. I have two little ones under the age of 10 and I can't wait to ride with them.
Down the road I have every intention of getting another street bike, but probably not until my boys are men.
If you don't feel good - then don't ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #95
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
I rode when I met my wife, apart from a couple of years gap when we moved countries I rode pretty much every day. My kids would probably call a doctor to have me comitted if I suddently gave up riding.

I'm a much nicer person when I have a bike

Your call, but in terms of having a good relationship with the rest of your familly being a deeply unhappy person is probably a greater risk than accident.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #96
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,237
I only get the "voice in my head" when I'm on the street. damn cars scare the living piss out of me! I couldn't imagine being on the highway on some scoot or a 250cc or smaller bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #97
Jedi Apprentice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I crash June of last year and thought id take a break for a while. Thought about buying another bike in the spring and Bought a miata and got hit by a drunk driver. Getting hit by a drunk driver really bothered me. Debating whether to get another bike now. Philly has awful drivers.

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #98
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
I doubt one can enjoy the riding if filled with doubts about the wisdom of it all.

Pointless to push it. After all, the idea of riding is to enjoy the trip. If you would be anxious about it all, then you are exposing yourself to more danger than in a cage but not getting the benefit of enjoyment.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #99
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
I drive Trucks for a living so I see a lot more of what happens on the road than most,
It makes me a better rider, knowing how other vehicles are likely to behave in a given situation.
I have the luxury also of living in France, a very bike friendly country.

However as Da Foole so succinctly put it, when it doesn't feel right I don't ride.
Sometimes I don't ride for a week or more simply because either I don't feel like it or I just don't feel "sharp".
Other weeks, you can hardley separate me from the saddle no matter the weather

I know Madame G would love for me to give up the bikes, but equally she knows that it's part of what makes me, me. & I'd probably just go & do something else equally daft instead so she won't ask, bless her.

I've had a couple of accidents & walked away unscathed ATGATT works! The French have a saying that roughly translates to "Accidents put lead in your head" meaning that it slows you down.

You're the only one who can say when "it's time" & I have the utmost respect for those who don't let others opinions dictate their lives.

Do what you feel is right, but don't regret it.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #100
Danuda
New guy

Oddometer: 9
I now have a 1 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. The week after the first one was born I took my bike out. It was a beautiful spring day. I went out on roads that had low traffic counts and were as about as safe as any road could be. I hated every minute of it. All I could do was picture my new child, no father, growing up on her own. It just sapped the fun out of it for me. We have huge problems with deer strikes in my area so it isn't just cars to worry about. I went out riding one more time and I was tense the whole time. When I got home my shoulders hurt, my neck hurt, everything felt knotted up. I knew it was time to sell the bike. It has been a year and a half since I sold it. I really miss it at times, especially in the fall. I plan on getting another bike, just sometime around when I feel more confident about my girls turning out fine without their dad around anymore. The risk became not worth it to me. My wife and I are slowly planning a huge motorcycle trip together for when we make the plunge again though. We have always wanted to ride Alaska and possibly even due some touring in Africa. I don't see it as giving up bikes forever, just a little break. I put my girls in front of riding, right where I feel they belong. I understand people who continue to take the additional risk though. As many have said, there is risk with everything.
Danuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #101
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danuda View Post
I now have a 1 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. The week after the first one was born I took my bike out. It was a beautiful spring day. I went out on roads that had low traffic counts and were as about as safe as any road could be. I hated every minute of it. All I could do was picture my new child, no father, growing up on her own. It just sapped the fun out of it for me. We have huge problems with deer strikes in my area so it isn't just cars to worry about. I went out riding one more time and I was tense the whole time. When I got home my shoulders hurt, my neck hurt, everything felt knotted up. I knew it was time to sell the bike. It has been a year and a half since I sold it. I really miss it at times, especially in the fall. I plan on getting another bike, just sometime around when I feel more confident about my girls turning out fine without their dad around anymore. The risk became not worth it to me. My wife and I are slowly planning a huge motorcycle trip together for when we make the plunge again though. We have always wanted to ride Alaska and possibly even due some touring in Africa. I don't see it as giving up bikes forever, just a little break. I put my girls in front of riding, right where I feel they belong. I understand people who continue to take the additional risk though. As many have said, there is risk with everything.
+1000 My daughter is grown now. My rides are just a sweet. I am appalled at the reduction in car driver skill. Still, so many places beckon.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #102
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
Then the grand kids come and your thinking my kids need me more now then ever Go off road, less cars more fun...
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #103
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
May 12-2012 I had a pickup turn in front of me. Fractured hip, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung, totaled bike. The first week in the hospital, I swore that I was done. I'm 61, been riding since I was 14. This was my first major accident. After several weeks, I started rethinking. I love riding. I found a '07 GS, bought it, and parked it in the garage. I'd go out and look at it. Then, when I could, I'd sit on it. The day my doctor told me I was done with my crutches, I went for a ride. About 30 miles. It felt great! I've put 500 miles on in less than 2 weeks, and it rained half the time. I'm glad I decided to keep riding. My philosophy is, we only have so many days on this earth, so we should enjoy them. But that's just me. I'm glad I decided to ride.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #104
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
May 12-2012 I had a pickup turn in front of me. Fractured hip, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung, totaled bike. The first week in the hospital, I swore that I was done. I'm 61, been riding since I was 14. This was my first major accident. After several weeks, I started rethinking. I love riding. I found a '07 GS, bought it, and parked it in the garage. I'd go out and look at it. Then, when I could, I'd sit on it. The day my doctor told me I was done with my crutches, I went for a ride. About 30 miles. It felt great! I've put 500 miles on in less than 2 weeks, and it rained half the time. I'm glad I decided to keep riding. My philosophy is, we only have so many days on this earth, so we should enjoy them. But that's just me. I'm glad I decided to ride.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #105
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
Then the grand kids come and your thinking my kids need me more now then ever Go off road, less cars more fun...
+1 on that!!! When the kids grew up and I finally got back into it, I bought a little dual-sport. I stay off the roads as much as possible, but with a dual-sport, I still have the option should I need it. I have had my share of spills off-road, but all of them (as in 100%) have been my own fault. I can live with that. Even my wife is okay with me hurting myself, rather than other drivers killing me... and it's SOOOOOO much more fun off-road!