Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #106
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,555
I'll sometimes have the jitters before a big trip. As soon as I get one mile from the house I am fine.

I had my biggest 'off ' last Wednesday, hit a cow!

Like 'snr moment' said in an earlier post, you can be fit and muscular and brave and stout and good and strong, but the blunt force impact trauma is incredible...there is nothing you can do to mitigate it. I'm 62...one hand is shattered, it hurts like hell.....will I quit? Don't know, but I did buy a used motorcycle today!

After my first son was born I stopped riding (except trials) for 17 years. In the past 11 years both me and the Mrs have ridden 160,000 miles each on our own bikes.

I say to the OP if you want to stay in the game get a Trials bike, it fulfills a need and is relatively safe, especially if you get a vintage...they can be hard to start so you ride less!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #107
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
After 6 years of street riding with hardly a close call to speak of I had my first crash last week, only about two weeks after the birth of my son (my first). I went riding off road for the first time, and wouldn't you know it about six hours into my second day in the dirt, coming down a mountain sideI took a tight, downhill hairpin just a little to fast and ended up going of the (pretty dang steep) side of the road. Fortunately (and miraculously), I didn't get a scratch (yes I was ATGATT). Oddly, the incident has had a somewhat calming effect, I have definitely had a bit of anxiety about riding, mostly due to my impending fatherhood, and that stupid "it's not if but when" adage really bothered me since I hadn't had a crash yet. As a motorcycle journalist "quitting riding" isn't a viable option, unless I want to switch careers and find another way of paying the rent. Now, I know it's kind of dumb, but I feel like I got a monkey off my back by crashing, perhaps I'd feel differently if it hadn't ended so well.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #108
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
well..... was never sure if i would ride again ....after my fairly serious crash ...( no leg etc etc ) was terrified of the 50cc scooter sitting in my garage .... it looked too big , too scary ... too fast ... too everything!!! found it hard to get on ,harder to get off , scared stupid .....then i took it for a ride up the road ,and it all changed , i love riding ... i have always known the risks ... and accepted them . when i have kids , maybe i will change my mind ... its a very personal thing . but now look at me , loving my 640 ktm .

you know .... when you know.

cheers
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #109
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,943
Threads like this are meaningless because ultimately it's a personal call. Bottom line for me: gonna die anyway. I hope to god I don't die in a hospital bed. Yes I've got kids. Yes I've crashed many times. I'm limping these days from my last get off that almost twisted my knee off. No I don't want my kids to learn that caving in to your fears is the way to live, at least not from me.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #110
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Well, if you are going into turns too hot all the time, maybe its time to give it up.
You could just try riding safely...
that's what i was thinking. need to upgrade riding skills.
i have a wife and daughter but i'm not stopping. that's an easy out way too many guys use. my wife and i ride together plus we're doing a used goldwing hack so we can all go.

one way or another each of us die. i want to use my time in a way that i enjoy it to the max and see the most vrs sitting at home waiting to die.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #111
eakins
Butler Maps

love your mag and what it represents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
After 6 years of street riding with hardly a close call to speak of I had my first crash last week, only about two weeks after the birth of my son (my first). I went riding off road for the first time, and wouldn't you know it about six hours into my second day in the dirt, coming down a mountain sideI took a tight, downhill hairpin just a little to fast and ended up going of the (pretty dang steep) side of the road. Fortunately (and miraculously), I didn't get a scratch (yes I was ATGATT). Oddly, the incident has had a somewhat calming effect, I have definitely had a bit of anxiety about riding, mostly due to my impending fatherhood, and that stupid "it's not if but when" adage really bothered me since I hadn't had a crash yet. As a motorcycle journalist "quitting riding" isn't a viable option, unless I want to switch careers and find another way of paying the rent. Now, I know it's kind of dumb, but I feel like I got a monkey off my back by crashing, perhaps I'd feel differently if it hadn't ended so well.
Butler Maps website:
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #112
eakins
Butler Maps

if any of you are going to quit riding on the street, consider getting a 250 dirtbike and riding off-road. it will keep you on a bike and away from traffic.

many ride 100% off-road because it's harder and harder to deal with all the traffic. yes off-road racer boys can hurt themselves, but you can just go putting around forest roads all day long.
Butler Maps website:
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #113
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,371
That sounds good to me.
You can have fun, you can be fairly safe, or you can ride a big bike fast, and do exciting things.

I ride a slow light nimble bike, away from high risk roads, and have more fun then when I had bigger faster bikes.

Despite almost getting killed dirt riding, I still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that's what i was thinking. need to upgrade riding skills.
i have a wife and daughter but i'm not stopping. that's an easy out way too many guys use. my wife and i ride together plus we're doing a used goldwing hack so we can all go.

one way or another each of us die. i want to use my time in a way that i enjoy it to the max and see the most vrs sitting at home waiting to die.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #114
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Heal, then get back on an ride! We all die eventually, hope I'm happy when I do. I hope that is a long time from now. There are really crazy fuckers whom live so much and die early, that's not what I'm saying. Decrease the risks, wear ATGATT, ride smart, and have fun. Some one can walk in and kill you at the library, so fuck it and enjoy life.

I've been a paramedic fire fighter for 24 years, and when you times up its up.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #115
Fred of Four Winds
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Ron View Post
Im just glad I came away completely unscathed. I never dreamed I would stop riding, but now this has got me thinking twice. The old saying "you know when you know" sure holds true. I just cant believe that I have no desire to ride...... maybe ever.....
Shortly after getting married I realized my riding style was not the sort of behavior which augured well for being around when the coming baby was graduating from high school... In 1994, as our youngest entered his senior year of high school, I began to think about riding, and looked for an inexpensive ride to check and see whether I wanted to ride or just relive the memories. Been riding ever since. There was just a period when it wasn't prudent. If you're not convinced you ought to be riding, pay attention. It may be a temporary situation or it may even be one of those weird, irrational emotional quirks we all experience from time to time.
Fred of Four Winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #116
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
love your mag and what it represents!
Thanks so much! We've got a lot of like minded people here!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #117
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I haven't read every post, but here's my take. I've been riding for 33 years. Never crashed on road.
Now I ride a small WR250R dual sport on 99% dirt trails (I bring the bike to the trail areas on a rack on the back of my van).

This way I still get to ride, without the much greater danger of crashing on the street.
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #118
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
Thanks so much! We've got a lot of like minded people here!

what's your book?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #119
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
what's your book?
No book, just a magazine, RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel, it's pretty much right up the ADV Rider alley with tons of ride reports, great photos, etc, are you familiar with it? You can check out the link in my signature if not.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #120
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Oh, I'll check it out. Thanks.